Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis >

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Like Tree217Likes

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Old 12-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kevinrcstuff View Post
I seriously need something to protect the front spoilers and wheels... any help guys ?
I use the original plastic front body post and the 3D wing print with Tamiya wheel from one of the guy here and since them i did not broke one, either my son or my daughter, and trust me they crash....
Works really great.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lore View Post
I use the original plastic front body post and the 3D wing print with Tamiya wheel from one of the guy here and since them i did not broke one, either my son or my daughter, and trust me they crash....
Works really great.
Thanks, I'll give a try!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Sounds interesting.

liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
the wing replaces the entire front wing assembly, mounting to the chassis directly. I felt that this would provide the strongest platform.

did you ever print one?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
did you ever print one?
I printed a couple for the race in Detroit. I ended up breaking one in half hitting a dead car on the straight which I didn't see in time. Huge hit. Broke my link and saver in that hit. I replaced the wing, but got caught under the rails a bunch of times (rails weren't fully secured at that time). Overall, it did a decent job at reducing rail grab and protected the front end a bit... but, each time it drove under a rail, I broke a link and quickly ran out. I also bent my diff shaft. After spending a lot more time in the pits making repairs, I decided to focus on my other 3 cars and not run F1 despite that being the class that I was looking forward to running most.

the wing dimensions and clearance were designed with the thought of using kyosho dimension wheels and tires. I need to make some revisions to increase durability, and reduce the wing driving under the rails, I just haven't had the time.
liljohn1064 and Kevinrcstuff like this.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by art4242 View Post
Also posted this on FB, first prototype of 3D printed front wing using Tamiya mini 4WD rollers to keep from digging into or sticking on the rails. Drop in replacement.

This one's still modeled a little roughly but works well when I tested over the weekend. STL file is attached, exported units are in inches if they come out too small. I printed in PLA material on my home printer and have not had any break after multiple crashes. You do have to be careful to not over tighten the self-tapping screws compared to the molded plastic wing.

I used the smaller rollers from this Tamiya package:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya-...m15381/p734686

Hi mate, just print a few of your wings are they look really nice! But the carbon fiber part that you have to insert inside it, doesn't fit. Do you have the same problem when you print it for the first time?

Thank you!!!
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

After purchasing a GLA and really liking the fit and feel I was looking at the GLF as an option but concerned about durability given is also class myself as an average racer.

The Le Mans body teaser pic GL released had me interested but then part of me thinks of I was to go that route I might as well get the GLR

Do you see these F1ís becoming a solid class or a but of a niche one?
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvilR2.0 View Post
After purchasing a GLA and really liking the fit and feel I was looking at the GLF as an option but concerned about durability given is also class myself as an average racer.

The Le Mans body teaser pic GL released had me interested but then part of me thinks of I was to go that route I might as well get the GLR

I was hoping our class would have been going by now. Find out this weekend. I do have feeling that most will end up with the prototype body instead. Takes the risk of wheel to wheel contact out, mostly.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I think EMU says it all in his post #290. Consider that EMU is an accomplished mini car racer. If he struggles with durability... average racers, myself included, will become frustrated two-fold! The level of commitment required was more than I could handle because I have a GLA and GLR that are an absolute pleasure to drive when set up correctly. That said... I still have a GLF-1 kit new in the box. For $240 I will include a set of tires and ship for free anywhere in the USA if interested?
Regards,
[email protected]
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvilR2.0 View Post

Had another thought about it. I believe it will stay most local thing. I donít see PN adding it to there event. I really canít see Kyosho having it at their. Which, unless, GL starts hosting their own races. Kinda leaves it on its own.
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi mate, just print a few of your wings are they look really nice! But the carbon fiber part that you have to insert inside it, doesn't fit. Do you have the same problem when you print it for the first time?

Thank you!!!
Sorry to hear that. I think that the fit of the carbon into the wing depends a lot on the particular printer, material, and print settings you are using.

The exact outline of the first few layers of the material can be variable due to squishing on the build plate and if there's glue stick/tape/etc. on the build plate.

I designed them so they fit well when printed on my printer using PLA, even then I occasionally need to clean up the edges that fit near the carbon with a knife for a good fit.

Last edited by art4242; Yesterday at 03:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by art4242 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I think that the fit of the carbon into the wing depends a lot on the particular printer, material, and print settings you are using.

The exact outline of the first few layers of the material can be variable due to squishing on the build plate and if there glue stick/tape/etc. on the build plate.

I designed them so they fit well when printed on my printer using PLA, even then I occasionally need to clean up the edges that fit near the carbon with knife for a good fit.

thanks my friend, Iíll try to print in on PLA then.

Best regards
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gottapro View Post
I think EMU says it all in his post #290. Consider that EMU is an accomplished mini car racer. If he struggles with durability... average racers, myself included, will become frustrated two-fold! The level of commitment required was more than I could handle because I have a GLA and GLR that are an absolute pleasure to drive when set up correctly. That said... I still have a GLF-1 kit new in the box. For $240 I will include a set of tires and ship for free anywhere in the USA if interested?
Regards,
[email protected]
I think the car has real potential, but I just didn't have any luck with it when i was on the track in Detroit. New steering llinks are available, which should help most of the issues that I was having. My car was handling pretty good in practice, but just when I started to try to tighten the line or push the car a little is when I would bang and break.

I think if my front wing design were better, or the link held up, I would have had a different tone. Hopefully I can get more track time soon with it to work out some of the setup...
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I think the car has real potential, but I just didn't have any luck with it when i was on the track in Detroit. New steering llinks are available, which should help most of the issues that I was having. My car was handling pretty good in practice, but just when I started to try to tighten the line or push the car a little is when I would bang and break.

I think if my front wing design were better, or the link held up, I would have had a different tone. Hopefully I can get more track time soon with it to work out some of the setup...
Even using the roller wings our group has had a few broken parts. I've broken the carbon wing once, another racer broke two carbons (in back to back races!), and another broke the plastic front wing mount. I think if you hit a corner just right the rollers don't roll and the wing takes the entire perpendicular load and the weakest point breaks. Not quite sure how to address this, I think the best bet would be a larger carbon piece with more material around the screw holes, in conjunction with the alu or brass wing mount. In the meantime I've stocked up on spare carbons.

We have not broken any servo links yet though.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you!!!
Hi, you must shave a bit the boarder of the wing a bit with a file, and it will fit.

Also the hose for the screw, i suggest to screw once first, unscrew and then install.

Follow this steps and you are good to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.