WLtoys A959b

Old 08-02-2019, 01:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default WLtoys A959b

After bashing with a Traxxas Slash 4x4 I got hooked on the RC world and started looking around for another car to play with in between times when the Slash was broke and waiting on parts or while the batteries were charging. I stumbled on the a959b buggy and saw how fast it was and pretty sturdy, and decided I'd buy one to play around with. Well, while it's still on the slow boat from china I've already looked into a brushless setup and of course the metal hardware to make the drivetrain live. Then that sprouted into more metal upgrades to hopefully make it a little stronger even though I'm sure it'll bend and break aluminum more than it would be forgiving with plastic. Now I've got a stock buggy coming, and also all the needed parts to build my own out of aluminum parts and a 4500kv 4 pole brushless motor. I know now after reading the lower the KV the more low end torque you would have, so I might have messed up there or maybe even made it better at not losing control when I whiskey throttle it? I don't know. Anyways there's lots of videos and posts about upgrading parts and building all metal parts, but what do you think the weight difference is between the stock one and an all metal version? I'm guessing it to be significantly heavier, but hoping the brushless motor will help overcome the weight difference. Anyone have experience actually running an all metal build and maybe have some pointers for future motor combos or parts combos? If all else fails I can use some of the metal parts and beef up the stock one where it needs it and put the brushless motor/esc/transmitter/receiver in it. I guess i'll also mention I snagged a xmitter/receiver combo with a gyro in the receiver to maybe help keep this thing straight at speed.
I'm still a month out or more I'm sure from any of the parts getting here off the slow boat from china but i'll use this time to do some homework to make my build go as well as it can by the time I get started.
thanks