Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EMU
  • 2 Post By EMU

Speedo and motor choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Default Speedo and motor choice

Hi guys, I would like to know what speedo you are running in your chassis. Seems like there aren't a lot of choices when comes to micro rc's speedo (atomic, glracing, swave, team powers and pn racing are the only few that I'm aware of.)

I'm asking because I'm in the middle of building an amz and needs to add electronic package at the moment. I really don't want to use that generic one though it has hobbywing program installed. Thanks
Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The GL and Atomic hobbywing ESC is quite good, and a very good value. If you have the combo unit, RX/ESC combined but wish to use your own RX, you can desolder the RX and install a wire lead, and you essentially have the same unit as the independent Hobbywing model. The GL and Atomic are near identical functionality, they have slight physical differences as far as layout, and different program settings.

I am a little underwhelmed by the sensor systems currently. They aren't bad, but you will lose a little power and runtime with similar motors compared to the sensorless. You will also take a reduction in rpm when operating in sensor mode.

at this time, I am currently happiest using the GL Hobbywing ESC in my cars. The Swave does have a bluetooth adapter which allows on the fly adjustments which is super neat, and is quite a small package which allows it to easily fit in places where other units cannot.

after driving swave and x-power sensor setups compared to the HW sensorless, it is really difficult to tell the difference in power delivery once the systems are adjusted for track conditions. You have arguably more low end resolution and response with the sensored setups, but it is a flight trade off due to increased power draw and reduced power. The cars will use different gearing with the same motors. In general, the AWD platforms I would go with a sensorless HW setup, and 2WD modified platforms I would consider the sensored.

as for motor choice, the swave esc is picky about what sensored motors it can use, they have a QVL on the ensotech site. It can drive any sensorless motor. Most of the motors in the scale are very similar in performance outside of the kyosho models which will not work in the AMZ as the are no screw holes to mount it in the can. The Atomic motors are priced the lowest when available. There are occasionally price reduced GL motors in ebay, but these may be items which fail to meet their tolerances for power. The ATM motors are 1mm larger diameter than the GL and PN models, but I don't really see a power difference between them. In general, for a medium size track I like around 5500-7000kv for the awd platforms. 3500kv can work, but you're going to need to gear it high and the AMZ REALLY doesn't like that with kyosho hard bodies. Lexan bodies you should be fine.
zxcvb1t likes this.

Last edited by EMU; 07-31-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EMU
The GL and Atomic hobbywing ESC is quite good, and a very good value. If you have the combo unit, RX/ESC combined but wish to use your own RX, you can desolder the RX and install a wire lead, and you essentially have the same unit as the independent Hobbywing model. The GL and Atomic are near identical functionality, they have slight physical differences as far as layout, and different program settings.

I am a little underwhelmed by the sensor systems currently. They aren't bad, but you will lose a little power and runtime with similar motors compared to the sensorless. You will also take a reduction in rpm when operating in sensor mode.

at this time, I am currently happiest using the GL Hobbywing ESC in my cars. The Swave does have a bluetooth adapter which allows on the fly adjustments which is super neat, and is quite a small package which allows it to easily fit in places where other units cannot.

after driving swave and x-power sensor setups compared to the HW sensorless, it is really difficult to tell the difference in power delivery once the systems are adjusted for track conditions. You have arguably more low end resolution and response with the sensored setups, but it is a flight trade off due to increased power draw and reduced power. The cars will use different gearing with the same motors. In general, the AWD platforms I would go with a sensorless HW setup, and 2WD modified platforms I would consider the sensored.

as for motor choice, the swave esc is picky about what sensored motors it can use, they have a QVL on the ensotech site. It can drive any sensorless motor. Most of the motors in the scale are very similar in performance outside of the kyosho models which will not work in the AMZ as the are no screw holes to mount it in the can. The Atomic motors are priced the lowest when available. There are occasionally price reduced GL motors in ebay, but these may be items which fail to meet their tolerances for power. The ATM motors are 1mm larger diameter than the GL and PN models, but I don't really see a power difference between them. In general, for a medium size track I like around 5500-7000kv for the awd platforms. 3500kv can work, but you're going to need to gear it high and the AMZ REALLY doesn't like that with kyosho hard bodies. Lexan bodies you should be fine.
Thanks emu, for my application I believe the hobbywing unit will do the job. As for the gearing, I think I'll gear my 3500kv like a 5000kv because most of my driving will be on something very similar to rcp96.....
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t
Hi guys, I would like to know what speedo you are running in your chassis. Seems like there aren't a lot of choices when comes to micro rc's speedo (atomic, glracing, swave, team powers and pn racing are the only few that I'm aware of.)

I'm asking because I'm in the middle of building an amz and needs to add electronic package at the moment. I really don't want to use that generic one though it has hobbywing program installed. Thanks
Don't forget hobbywing ezrun18A for 1/28. I think gl or atomic is good for amz for size and price. Some atomic esc comes with alumunium case which is heavy but it's easy to de case
Old 08-02-2019, 05:03 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
Don't forget hobbywing ezrun18A for 1/28. I think gl or atomic is good for amz for size and price. Some atomic esc comes with alumunium case which is heavy but it's easy to de case
ATM sells the plastic case alone. I purchased the plastic case, separated the ESC from the combo unit and installed in the plastic case after soldering leads to plug in the RX. All three models are the same ESC. Combo, plastic, alloy...
b.wihardja and zxcvb1t like this.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Any new ESC/Motor combos to the market yet?

See GL Racing are releasing a sensored ESC next month.

Swave still look the main ones in the sensored area.

Know Hobbywing make the GL ones etc but don’t really cater for the market themselves?

Any other options out there?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:08 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EvilR2.0
Any new ESC/Motor combos to the market yet?

See GL Racing are releasing a sensored ESC next month.

Swave still look the main ones in the sensored area.

Know Hobbywing make the GL ones etc but don’t really cater for the market themselves?

Any other options out there?
Team Powers also has a micro ESC which just came to market.

http://www.team-powers.com/index.php?thispage=viewproduct&category=1&subcateg ory=15&productid=17&sr=0&startrow=

Atomic also have a new unit.
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&produc ts_id=5975

I suspect that these newer ESCs could be similarly designed, possibly reverse engineered from the Swave W. I hope to have a new GL unit in a couple weeks to evaluate. I am still running the HW GL unit in most of my cars.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

The new unit form GL is something I’m keen on looking into, I’ve decided to go with a GLA.

I’ll most likely go the XP route on receiver as I don’t think Futaba do a micro one.

So just on the fence if to order now with the current V1.2 ESC or hold out for the new sensored version due next month.