Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Speedo and motor choice >

Speedo and motor choice

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By EMU
  • 2 Post By EMU

Speedo and motor choice

Reply

Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 211
Default Speedo and motor choice

Hi guys, I would like to know what speedo you are running in your chassis. Seems like there aren't a lot of choices when comes to micro rc's speedo (atomic, glracing, swave, team powers and pn racing are the only few that I'm aware of.)

I'm asking because I'm in the middle of building an amz and needs to add electronic package at the moment. I really don't want to use that generic one though it has hobbywing program installed. Thanks
zxcvb1t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 PM
  #2  
EMU
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 956
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The GL and Atomic hobbywing ESC is quite good, and a very good value. If you have the combo unit, RX/ESC combined but wish to use your own RX, you can desolder the RX and install a wire lead, and you essentially have the same unit as the independent Hobbywing model. The GL and Atomic are near identical functionality, they have slight physical differences as far as layout, and different program settings.

I am a little underwhelmed by the sensor systems currently. They aren't bad, but you will lose a little power and runtime with similar motors compared to the sensorless. You will also take a reduction in rpm when operating in sensor mode.

at this time, I am currently happiest using the GL Hobbywing ESC in my cars. The Swave does have a bluetooth adapter which allows on the fly adjustments which is super neat, and is quite a small package which allows it to easily fit in places where other units cannot.

after driving swave and x-power sensor setups compared to the HW sensorless, it is really difficult to tell the difference in power delivery once the systems are adjusted for track conditions. You have arguably more low end resolution and response with the sensored setups, but it is a flight trade off due to increased power draw and reduced power. The cars will use different gearing with the same motors. In general, the AWD platforms I would go with a sensorless HW setup, and 2WD modified platforms I would consider the sensored.

as for motor choice, the swave esc is picky about what sensored motors it can use, they have a QVL on the ensotech site. It can drive any sensorless motor. Most of the motors in the scale are very similar in performance outside of the kyosho models which will not work in the AMZ as the are no screw holes to mount it in the can. The Atomic motors are priced the lowest when available. There are occasionally price reduced GL motors in ebay, but these may be items which fail to meet their tolerances for power. The ATM motors are 1mm larger diameter than the GL and PN models, but I don't really see a power difference between them. In general, for a medium size track I like around 5500-7000kv for the awd platforms. 3500kv can work, but you're going to need to gear it high and the AMZ REALLY doesn't like that with kyosho hard bodies. Lexan bodies you should be fine.
zxcvb1t likes this.

Last edited by EMU; 07-31-2019 at 01:34 PM.
EMU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:28 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 211
Default

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The GL and Atomic hobbywing ESC is quite good, and a very good value. If you have the combo unit, RX/ESC combined but wish to use your own RX, you can desolder the RX and install a wire lead, and you essentially have the same unit as the independent Hobbywing model. The GL and Atomic are near identical functionality, they have slight physical differences as far as layout, and different program settings.

I am a little underwhelmed by the sensor systems currently. They aren't bad, but you will lose a little power and runtime with similar motors compared to the sensorless. You will also take a reduction in rpm when operating in sensor mode.

at this time, I am currently happiest using the GL Hobbywing ESC in my cars. The Swave does have a bluetooth adapter which allows on the fly adjustments which is super neat, and is quite a small package which allows it to easily fit in places where other units cannot.

after driving swave and x-power sensor setups compared to the HW sensorless, it is really difficult to tell the difference in power delivery once the systems are adjusted for track conditions. You have arguably more low end resolution and response with the sensored setups, but it is a flight trade off due to increased power draw and reduced power. The cars will use different gearing with the same motors. In general, the AWD platforms I would go with a sensorless HW setup, and 2WD modified platforms I would consider the sensored.

as for motor choice, the swave esc is picky about what sensored motors it can use, they have a QVL on the ensotech site. It can drive any sensorless motor. Most of the motors in the scale are very similar in performance outside of the kyosho models which will not work in the AMZ as the are no screw holes to mount it in the can. The Atomic motors are priced the lowest when available. There are occasionally price reduced GL motors in ebay, but these may be items which fail to meet their tolerances for power. The ATM motors are 1mm larger diameter than the GL and PN models, but I don't really see a power difference between them. In general, for a medium size track I like around 5500-7000kv for the awd platforms. 3500kv can work, but you're going to need to gear it high and the AMZ REALLY doesn't like that with kyosho hard bodies. Lexan bodies you should be fine.
Thanks emu, for my application I believe the hobbywing unit will do the job. As for the gearing, I think I'll gear my 3500kv like a 5000kv because most of my driving will be on something very similar to rcp96.....
zxcvb1t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
Hi guys, I would like to know what speedo you are running in your chassis. Seems like there aren't a lot of choices when comes to micro rc's speedo (atomic, glracing, swave, team powers and pn racing are the only few that I'm aware of.)

I'm asking because I'm in the middle of building an amz and needs to add electronic package at the moment. I really don't want to use that generic one though it has hobbywing program installed. Thanks
Don't forget hobbywing ezrun18A for 1/28. I think gl or atomic is good for amz for size and price. Some atomic esc comes with alumunium case which is heavy but it's easy to de case
b.wihardja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:03 AM
  #5  
EMU
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 956
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by b.wihardja View Post
Don't forget hobbywing ezrun18A for 1/28. I think gl or atomic is good for amz for size and price. Some atomic esc comes with alumunium case which is heavy but it's easy to de case
ATM sells the plastic case alone. I purchased the plastic case, separated the ESC from the combo unit and installed in the plastic case after soldering leads to plug in the RX. All three models are the same ESC. Combo, plastic, alloy...
b.wihardja and zxcvb1t like this.
EMU is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service