• 1 Post By EMU
  • 1 Post By Mattdaddy1974
  • 1 Post By LJH
  • 1 Post By eR1c

Carpet for track

Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Carpet for track

I am just getting started in mini z racing. I race on RCP track but I would like to practice at home. What carpet do you recommend for use at home to practice on?

Thank you
Old 04-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Give this stuff a try.

https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...6476222&ipos=9
Old 04-08-2019, 10:42 PM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If possible, speak with Micheal at Tracks and hobbies, and see what he had under the oval test track. I think that would be an excellent surface for a small test track.

In general, you would want the lowest pile carpet that you can get. Meaning, as little height as you can find, with the finest weave pattern. The thicker the carpet, generally the more it will move under the car and reduce traction, giving a squirmy feel.
Kremzeek likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed about lowest pile carpet you can get. I went to home depot and got a piece of their least expensive office carpet, its super tight loop. I run on the underside of the carpet which isnt even a loop... it works great and only cost $35. I use masking tape to mark the track lines.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

...i do keep thinking about getting an RCP track as that's what they hold races on at the club I go to and it is a nice surface. Carpet is just easy though as I can roll it up if I want to use the space for something else other than RC cars. Plus i can walk on it w/o worry of ruining the surface... okay, iam talking myself out of RCP again...
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

I'd get the RCP since that's what you race on for setup reasons alone. You would have to constantly change tires and suspension setups for the different surfaces. Just my $.02
eR1c likes this.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why not just get the mini96 RCP track? If you are racing on RCP track, it makes sense to practice on RCP track.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Iam close to an rcp purchase!
I use the space where the carpet is formal working on my bikes, etc... so it's easy to just roll the carpet up when not in use. Plus i.can walk on the carpet w/o ruining it.... rcp would make my space less versatile for multi use. That's been my hesitation.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I use the space where the carpet is formal working on my bikes, etc... so it's easy to just roll the carpet up when not in use. Plus i.can walk on the carpet w/o ruining it.... rcp would make my space less versatile for multi use. That's been my hesitation.
True, but itís not difficult to tear down and setup. Doesnít need to completely come apart, could take it apart in sections.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:17 PM
LJH
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
As Billy said you can make it so it goes together and comes apart in just a few minutes. I have labeled section of my Mini96 track and it takes all of maybe 5 minutes to put together. I have it so it breaks down into 4 square lengths which results in 12 sections that are roughly 4í long by 2í wide.

Cheers,
Jim
EMU likes this.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

True, but itís not difficult to tear down and setup. Doesnít need to completely come apart, could take it apart in sections.
Your right, ...hmm, ..an RCP track would be nice. you may have pushed me over the tipping point. If its not so difficult to take apart on the occasional instances when I want the space for another use..
EMU likes this.