Like Tree19Likes

RCP Mini 96 challenge

Old 04-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RCP Mini 96 challenge

Checking to see if there is any interest in the guys that have a Mini 96 on having a weekly lap challenge. Since we would have to have a Rcp Mini 96 and some way to time it I know it may not be easy to set up at first. I just canít seem to find any clubs close enough to my location so I figured why not have a time attack style race with anyone who has a track. Of course there will need to be some guidelines as to make it competitive. Classes and track layouts would have to be the same. Or at least the layout if we want to run an open class. Does this sound interesting to anyone?
EMU and 2112troy like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did my own using my 4 cars. The hard part is having a way to post proven times.

Bmr4life likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Right now I canít post urls or figure out how to post video. YouTube is where Iíve been posting my progress with the car for now. If you search my name you can see the one from last night. I just like a little friendly competition. Being able to compete around the world without leaving my garage seems like a No brained. My Mini 96 has longer straights than yours. Did you use all of the tiles provided? You tube is the perfect place for proof.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mattdaddy1974 View Post
Checking to see if there is any interest in the guys that have a Mini 96 on having a weekly lap challenge. Since we would have to have a Rcp Mini 96 and some way to time it I know it may not be easy to set up at first. I just canít seem to find any clubs close enough to my location so I figured why not have a time attack style race with anyone who has a track. Of course there will need to be some guidelines as to make it competitive. Classes and track layouts would have to be the same. Or at least the layout if we want to run an open class. Does this sound interesting to anyone?
I am all in on this, my Mini-96 does not stay assembled permanently so I would not contribute on a weekly basis but I would be in a couple times a month.

I bet we could get some traction with some of the guys in the 1:28th scale groups on Facebook as well.

We had something like this for RC Soaring for years and there were folks from all around the world would compete on a monthly basis. One guy headed up running it on RCGroups and it was super fun and did not seem like it took all that much time to manage.

I am off on vacation for the next 5 days but I would love to start hashing out idea for classes etc. I bet we could get some pretty good participation seeing how active the FB groups are.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Right now I canít post urls or figure out how to post video. YouTube is where Iíve been posting my progress with the car for now. If you search my name you can see the one from last night. I just like a little friendly competition. Being able to compete around the world without leaving my garage seems like a nobrainer.
There actually is, and has been an online fast lap challenge going for years. Canít remember the name of it. Thereís a couple members in the MiniZ thread involved in it. I do believe it requires at least 4 people at each track
Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

2112troy likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

There actually is, and has been an online fast lap challenge going for years. Canít remember the name of it. Thereís a couple members in the MiniZ thread involved in it. I do believe it requires at least 4 people at each track
Thats the problem. Itís kind of hard to find and get together 4 or more people. Iím just talking about a friendly challenge. Open classes and stock classes. 2wd or 4wd and all the different motor configurations. Even some of the other manufacturers. Timing apps are pretty cheap and anyone can post proof to YouTube.
Bmr4life likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I am all in on this, my Mini-96 does not stay assembled permanently so I would not contribute on a weekly basis but I would be in a couple times a month.

I bet we could get some traction with some of the guys in the 1:28th scale groups on Facebook as well.

We had something like this for RC Soaring for years and there were folks from all around the world would compete on a monthly basis. One guy headed up running it on RCGroups and it was super fun and did not seem like it took all that much time to manage.

I am off on vacation for the next 5 days but I would love to start hashing out idea for classes etc. I bet we could get some pretty good participation seeing how active the FB groups are.

Cheers,
Jim
Great. I would suggest stock classes. 2wd, 4wd all the different motor configurations and manufacturers.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Great. I would suggest stock classes. 2wd, 4wd all the different motor configurations and manufacturers.
That is where it is going to get sticky, what constitutes a stock car? Does stock mean it runs on 4 AAA batteries and all else is open? Does stock mean 4 AAA and a OEM stock motor or PN70T? How about a box stock class? If you can tell I have been thinking about this for awhile ;-).

Here is my thinking:
RCP Textured side regular Mini-96 with no expansion sets ....Only because mine is on the textured side but if we go smooth side I will change.
Box Stock- 4AAA Kyosho Chassis, OEM or 70T motor, bearings, front springs, T-Plate , and plastic motor mount.
Stock- 4AAA Chassis (Allow the PN chassis?), OEM or 70T motor
Super Stock-4AAA (allow PN Chassis?), 48/50T motor
Open 2WD-And Chassis, any voltage, any motor
Open 4WD-Any Chassis, any voltage, any motor

I also think it would be fun to have classes based on wheel base. I have found that 90-98MM MM or RM can all be a contender on the Mini-96 but when you get to 86MM they just can't compete with the longer WB cars so maybe do a 86MM S or SS class on its own.

As for timing I have been using an app called LapTracker and I take screen shots of the timer. As most people have a smart phone these days it would be easy to take a picture to prove your time. There is also the question of race length. I have been doing 20 lap stints but that is only about 1 minute of running so maybe 100 lap stints? I do not have much of a preference on this.

I would love to hear from some of the old timers or HFAY guys to see how they would like to see if done, I know there will be a 1000 opinions but it may lead to getting some good insight on what works and what does not.

Cheer,
Jim
Bmr4life, EMU and 2112troy like this.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
That is where it is going to get sticky, what constitutes a stock car? Does stock mean it runs on 4 AAA batteries and all else is open? Does stock mean 4 AAA and a OEM stock motor or PN70T? How about a box stock class? If you can tell I have been thinking about this for awhile ;-).

Here is my thinking:
RCP Textured side regular Mini-96 with no expansion sets ....Only because mine is on the textured side but if we go smooth side I will change.
Box Stock- 4AAA Kyosho Chassis, OEM or 70T motor, bearings, front springs, T-Plate , and plastic motor mount.
Stock- 4AAA Chassis (Allow the PN chassis?), OEM or 70T motor
Super Stock-4AAA (allow PN Chassis?), 48/50T motor

I also think it would be fun to have classes based on wheel base. I have found that 90-98MM MM or RM can all be a contender on the Mini-96 but when you get to 86MM they just can't compete with the longer WB cars so maybe do a 86MM S or SS class on its own.

As for timing I have been using an app called LapTracker and I take screen shots of the timer. As most people have a smart phone these days it would be easy to take a picture to prove your time. There is also the question of race length. I have been doing 20 lap stints but that is only about 1 minute of running so maybe 100 lap stints? I do not have much of a preference on this.

I would love to hear from some of the old timers or HFAY guys to see how they would like to see if done, I know there will be a 1000 opinions but it may lead to getting some good insight on what works and what does not.

Cheer,
Jim
This idea sounds great to me. My thought would be to limit the number of classes. Preferably box stock with minimal upgrades...bearings, tires, T-plate. A second class maybe something brushless like the PN super stock.

I would like to see this idea develop into a real racing event. Pretty simple to get a couple racers together in person and online.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think that that is a pretty good rule structure out of the gate. I would put a gear limit on the box stock class, and restrict it to brushed 86-98mm, which does not include a disc damper, or allow the MZ217, and LM wheelbases? Gear limit of 7t with the white endbell mabuchi stock motor should keep it nice and cool and provide a level playing field.

Stock offers room to tune and adjust gearing. Brushless 3500kv permitted with the 70t? My opinion is that it should permit open chassis so long as it is 4xAAA cells.

Pro Stock, 48t or 5500kv limit, same base rules as Stock. I would be reluctant to include lithium 2S 3500kv in this class due to the weight discrepancy...

Open 2wd and AWD, looks good.

I would assume hard body for all classes besides open?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

I would like to see this happen. I just added the expansion kit today. Barely fits in my garage. I guess the only thing now is to plan our first layout and see who is in. I might have to swap back to box stock.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I think that that is a pretty good rule structure out of the gate. I would put a gear limit on the box stock class, and restrict it to brushed 86-98mm, which does not include a disc damper, or allow the MZ217, and LM wheelbases? Gear limit of 7t with the white endbell mabuchi stock motor should keep it nice and cool and provide a level playing field.

Stock offers room to tune and adjust gearing. Brushless 3500kv permitted with the 70t? My opinion is that it should permit open chassis so long as it is 4xAAA cells.

Pro Stock, 48t or 5500kv limit, same base rules as Stock. I would be reluctant to include lithium 2S 3500kv in this class due to the weight discrepancy...

Just spent some time on my Mini96 with a box stock RWD...RM and narrow front. The only upgrades are #3 T plate, bearings, and PN tires. Also ran a VE with PN 3500. The chassis has a dampener, T plate, bearings, PN double A-arm (overkill but I like the look), ball diff, and an X-Power motor mount.

My driving style definitely favored my brushed car.

Off topic...why is the Kyosho KT-432PT radio so hard to find??
Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I wish I knew why the radio is so hard to find. Kyosho underestimating demand? Supply chain issues fron the third party manufacturer? It seems that whatever becomes available is instantly sold.

It took me a long time to adjust to brushless, I almost needed to give up brushed altogether in order to be able to maximize my performance with brushless cars and the extra roll. For setup, I find that more front end traction is required for balance and to compensate for the loss of drag brake. The cars for me are more sensitive to front tire than the brushed cars were where you could crank up the drag brake to gain more steering. With brushless, the front end has to either slow the car or carry it through the corner in a sense where on a brushed car (especially 70t or mid range modified motors) the high drag brake could transfer more mass to the front and make a slightly lower traction front tire steer more or decelerate the car enough to stay tight into a slow corne and then power off the apex.

it has been about 3 to 4 race events which I have driven brushless only cars, but I do not plan to give up on brushed cars entirely. I do find it somewhat difficult to drive them back to back, but there is definitely benefits in feel for me where I still hesitate with the brushless cars.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EMU View Post

Here are some edited rules based on EMU's recommendations.

Box Stock- 4AAA Kyosho Chassis, OEM White Endbell Motor, bearings, 7T Pinion, front springs, T-Plate , Any Kyosho plastic motor mount that does not incorporate a disc dampener, 86-98MM Wheelbase, Kyosho Autoscale/White body Complete and unmodified, must use original wing, 20MM Wheels only. I would like to allow an aluminum T-Plate mount to prevent wearing out mounting holes on chassis's that see duty in more then one class. Thoughts?
Stock- Any 4AAA Chassis , OEM or 70T brushed motor of 3500kv Brushless motor, Autoscale/White body.
Stock 86- 4AAA Kyosho Chassis set up at 86MM, OEM or 70T brushed motor or 5500kv Brushless motor, Autoscale/White Body.
Pro Stock-Any 4AAA Chassis , 48/50T Brushed motor of 3500kv brushless motor, Autoscale/White body.

As for the track I would stick with the stock Mini-96 for the time being to get people started. I am not saying that we could not look at making the track a bit bigger/wider in the future but I would start with the standard track/layout first. I know I personally do not have the space inside to do anything bigger then the stock track.

Race length? I usually run a 20 lap stint but that seems very short for this with around a 1m race length. What do you guys think? 100 laps would put us right around 5-6 minutes on the standard track.

I also think it would be interesting to make it a rule that you have to post your car set up to have your time count. Thinking something like this:
Chassis-
Tires-
Motor-
Batteries-
Front Springs-
T-Plate-
Motor Mount-
Dampener-
Dampener Fluid-
Gearing-

Once we get this sorted I would think we should start a thread on RCT or MZR where the finalized rules are posted that can be updated with the results. Once that happens we can promote it on social media and see what kind of participation we can get.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by LJH; 04-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service