Like Tree19Likes

RCP Mini 96 challenge

Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You got the brushless motor specs backwards. 3500kv compares to 70t while 5500kv compares to 50t...

also box stock should be restricted to 20mm diameter wheels as a maximum diameter to prevent gaining an advantage in rollout using larger diameter wheels which are not currently available.

box stock should not permit body modifications or lexan windows. White bodies raced in that class should be assembled with all bits they come with. Side clips can be adjusted to fix ride height issues. Stock wings permitted, aftermarket wings not.

Front body clips should be able to use upgrades clips for durability and lack of available replacements.

while the might be a lot of restrictions for the suggested box stock class, this is to reduce gray areas which can be exploited for additional performance.

I also feel that it might be more appropriate to call the faster motor class pro stock rather than superstock to prevent confusion with the PN superstock class.

Last edited by EMU; 04-15-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
You got the brushless motor specs backwards. 3500kv compares to 70t while 5500kv compares to 50t...

also box stock should be restricted to 20mm diameter wheels as a maximum diameter to prevent gaining an advantage in rollout using larger diameter wheels which are not currently available.

box stock should not permit body modifications or lexan windows. White bodies raced in that class should be assembled with all bits they come with. Side clips can be adjusted to fix ride height issues. Stock wings permitted, aftermarket wings not.

Front body clips should be able to use upgrades clips for durability and lack of available replacements.

while the might be a lot of restrictions for the suggested box stock class, this is to reduce gray areas which can be exploited for additional performance.

I also feel that it might be more appropriate to call the faster motor class pro stock rather than superstock to prevent confusion with the PN superstock class.
Thanks EMU,
I made the changes you recommended. With your years of experience I imagine you have seen many cases of people looking for an "Unfair Advantage" which was not in line with the spirit of a class.

Do you other guys have any thought, comments, criticisms?

Thoughts on race lengths?

Cheers,
Jim

Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

I always scrutinize rules and look for any gray area that can be exploited for an advantage. Part of it is to look for the advantage for myself, but more to point it out for the organizers to add to the rules. I do not enjoy exploiting rules, but if the room is there, people will find the loopholes to take advantage of.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Sign me up

Ordered the mz217 pod as i hava discc damper in mine with rear pn lcg on pod, but would like to try the pod emu posted about. I have expansion kit, but could revert back to basic track. We could try the basic kit that has 3 track configurations to start. Run smooth side down as tire wear is way less as is traction rolling For stock, would the front arm droop limiters be allowed? Easy to remove if not.

Last edited by Pooch692000; 04-15-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spellling
Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Smootth aide

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
That is where it is going to get sticky, what constitutes a stock car? Does stock mean it runs on 4 AAA batteries and all else is open? Does stock mean 4 AAA and a OEM stock motor or PN70T? How about a box stock class? If you can tell I have been thinking about this for awhile ;-).

Here is my thinking:
RCP Textured side regular Mini-96 with no expansion sets ....Only because mine is on the textured side but if we go smooth side I will change.
Box Stock- 4AAA Kyosho Chassis, OEM or 70T motor, bearings, front springs, T-Plate , and plastic motor mount.
Stock- 4AAA Chassis (Allow the PN chassis?), OEM or 70T motor
Super Stock-4AAA (allow PN Chassis?), 48/50T motor
Open 2WD-And Chassis, any voltage, any motor
Open 4WD-Any Chassis, any voltage, any motor

I also think it would be fun to have classes based on wheel base. I have found that 90-98MM MM or RM can all be a contender on the Mini-96 but when you get to 86MM they just can't compete with the longer WB cars so maybe do a 86MM S or SS class on its own.

As for timing I have been using an app called LapTracker and I take screen shots of the timer. As most people have a smart phone these days it would be easy to take a picture to prove your time. There is also the question of race length. I have been doing 20 lap stints but that is only about 1 minute of running so maybe 100 lap stints? I do not have much of a preference on this.

I would love to hear from some of the old timers or HFAY guys to see how they would like to see if done, I know there will be a 1000 opinions but it may lead to getting some good insight on what works and what does not.

Cheer,
Jim

I run smooth side. Less tire wear and less traction rolling
Old 04-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooch692000 View Post

I run smooth side. Less tire wear and less traction rolling
Smooth side also. Mostly cause it what we run at big track. And easier on tire wear.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Can someone help with reminding my KT531P. I was trying to see what trying to bind it to my new GT3C would do. Well now when I turn on the car it turns hard to left and if I turn the wheel all the way to right the wheels are straight. This is with the stock radio. Did I mess this car up or is there something I’m missing?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Disregard. If all else fails read the instructions.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Mz217 pod

ordered the plastic mz217 pod, but it does use a disc style damper. Maybe allow that in stock? Lowering the ride height in stock mr03 is needed imo as it traction rolls too easily without lowering the cg. The mz217 allows this adjustment, but appears to incorporate a disc damper and not sure if stock spring could be used with it in lieu of the disc damper
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pooch692000 View Post
ordered the plastic mz217 pod, but it does use a disc style damper. Maybe allow that in stock? Lowering the ride height in stock mr03 is needed imo as it traction rolls too easily without lowering the cg. The mz217 allows this adjustment, but appears to incorporate a disc damper and not sure if stock spring could be used with it in lieu of the disc damper
It has been awhile since I played with the MZ217 but I do not remember any reason when you could not run it without the dampener and just use the stock spring.

As for traction rolling what is your set up? As I got faster I started to see some traction rolling even on my 94MM wide car once I put a 48T motor in it. I really think that most on my traction rolling was me being ham fisted and it occurred at the end of the long straight. I think a couple things happened here, I was getting faster on the track and carrying more speed onto the long straight, The track started to to get grippier with more use and because of this it became essential to be super smooth at the end of the long straight. I did play with a couple things to alleviate the issue and that included reducing steering, going up a level on front spring stiffness, and playing with roll centers. If that does not work you could go one step harder on the front tires but I think the major contributor is driving style to be honest. I will not say that I never traction roll these days but it does not happen often even when running a 86MM narrow car with a 48T motor.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

More motor will equal more heat in the front tires... It also means more deceleration to make the corner, meaning more weight transfer to the front end coming into a corner after the straight. Finding the balance in straight speed, corner speed and stability can be tricky. In general, the more drag brake the car has, the harder the front tire and spring should be.

Also, when facing traction rolling issues, you can try raising the roll center of the car. This means trying to keep the upper arm as level as possible to reduce the camber gain, fewer shims on the kingpin. If using an upper tower bar, you can try shims under the tower bar and more preload on the spring (or longer spring). The other option would be to switch to a smaller front wheel diameter. this means that you can remove any shims under the knuckle to flatten the upper arm. The more angle of the front arm, the greater the rate of camber gain, and the more edgy the front end will be in the mid corner leading to more traction roll.
Pooch692000 likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hey guys. I may bite the bullet and buy a mini 96 track. I see conversations about people running on the smooth side. How does the car perform? Does the rear end slide out? Is it controllable? Are you running stock motors or something faster?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Hey guys. I may bite the bullet and buy a mini 96 track. I see conversations about people running on the smooth side. How does the car perform? Does the rear end slide out? Is it controllable? Are you running stock motors or something faster?
thereís about a second difference in lap times from rough to smooth.

It takes awhile for the smooth side to develop traction.( Iíve got around 14,000 laps since Christmas when I changed sides And Iím still trying to get any kind of consistency.). Where the rough side is go from minute one. Iíve yet to try my brushless
Bmr4life likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Is the mini 96 big enough to run a mod motor like a 50t or is stock about all that is manageable?

Also, is 30 front 20 rear still the go to for tires no matter which side of the track is used?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM
LJH
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Is the mini 96 big enough to run a mod motor like a 50t or is stock about all that is manageable?

Also, is 30 front 20 rear still the go to for tires no matter which side of the track is used?

Thanks
I am running both my SWB and LWB MR03's with Atomic 48T motors and they are perfect, I am geared pretty short so the motors have more to give but the run time is great. I have also been running my GLA with a 3500KV motor on 2S and with the shortest gearing available it works great, plenty fast but not out of control.

Cheers.
Jim
Bmr4life likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service