Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Anyone build a 3 feet wide indoor micro racetrack? >

Anyone build a 3 feet wide indoor micro racetrack?

Like Tree26Likes

Anyone build a 3 feet wide indoor micro racetrack?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Anyone build a 4 feet wide indoor micro racetrack?

I currently have a 1/32 slot car setup in the basement and I just realized I should have just built a micro RC track instead. It's made of tables and is shaped like an L. The base of the L is 4'x8' and the top part of the L is 3'x10' so I have a 14' straight and the lanes would be almost 1.5' wide on the top part.

-Update, I can widen the top part of the L to 4' so my lanes can be ~2' wide in all directions.

What cars would you recommend for this? I was looking at 1/18th scale Xrays but I think I may need to go smaller. I'd like the cars to be hobby grade and I plan on having at least 3 of them. I'd also like to add transponders for keep track of lap times.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 03-27-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

I would look at Kyosho Mini Z, and a mini-96 RCP track. I-Lap makes a nice transponder/decoder system, but there are 3-4 that all work well.

1:24 scale is as small as it gets (and most like slot car racing) for hobby-grade cars where setup and driving skill are both important. They work great out of the box, and there are endless upgrades and modifications. Avoid Sport and Sport2 models, look at either RWD, EVO, or VE Pro kits. Probably RWD ready set to get started. There's a thread in this room with several videos included to give you an idea.

Atomic, GL and Carisma also make cars at this scale.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1/18 Xray's will most definitely be too fast and too large for a track that sounds like it is smaller than a 1-car parking spot (is that correct)?
I actually have an indoor garage carpet track. Its in a single car parking spot and it works perfectly for 1/24th scale. I have mine set-up to switch between off-road and on-road courses (both carpet), one has jumps the other does not. I run Carisma 1/24th GT24B's for the offroad and a 1/24th Atomic AMZ 4WD shaft driven on-road car (for the on-road course).

W/ My Atomic 1/24th, I have the top speed turned down to about 40% and its perfect.

I have photos posted in other threads in the "mini/micro" section here. Check them out.
Bmr4life likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think 1/28 scale cars would be the best option. Mini-z, or GL-Racing would be the ideal candidates.

both have their ups and downs, and generally will cost similar amount of money depending on the scope of racing. Mini-z uses 4xAAA cells, where the GL cars use 2S lipo. Speed with the slowest brushless motors on the GL cars are just about as fast as a modified mini-z.

GL is more similar to a hobby grade kit, where mini-z is a modular design chassis which can be upgraded to adjust setup options.

the atomic cars are similar to the GLA micro touring cars, but I feel that the GL has better fit and finish, where atomic needs considerably more massaging.

A base mini-z kit and essentials will run around $200-250 with rtr transmitter (excluding charger and cells), where a GLA will be closer to $250-300. To modify a mini-z to similar performance of a GL will cost $400 or so... however it does not need this level of upgrade to perform well on the size track which you are making.

do you have any local nearby clubs that race this scale? Around where are you located? Finding a local club that runs this scale may help sway you one way or another. The GL cars would run in a modified class, where the mini-z could be stock. I race at a small track where the fastest consistent pace is run by stock class cars, modified is simply too much power for most to handle on a small tight circuit.
hobbyten likes this.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

What's the best place to buy a Mini-Z and is there a beginner guide to them? I see wide swings in pricing and would prefer to use my own radio systems.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
What's the best place to buy a Mini-Z and is there a beginner guide to them? I see wide swings in pricing and would prefer to use my own radio systems.
Easy part to answer is Kenon Hobby. Kyosho has a guide. But year in Iím still overwhelmed by it. This might help

http://www.mini-z-guide.com/motormounts.htm

Now switch controller isnít simple. For the most part itís not worth it with the RTR. There are kit versions from PN racing that allow this. And Kyosho does have the Brushless Evo which has a few controllers options

Old 03-28-2019, 03:12 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Using your own radio system with a Mini-Z is difficult. What system do you currently have?

There are a few methods to using your own system, but every approach in doing so is expensive and is not an out of box solution. The most compatible approach would be to use a system supported by the EVO, however, there are few compatible receivers (Futaba 7px or Kyosho ASF are available at this time), Sanwa is reported to be developing a receiver for the electronics. Kyosho uses a proprietary interface for the receiver on this electronics package, so alternative receivers cannot be wired in at this time.

The alternative approach would be to essentially build a car using aftermarket electronics and donor parts. This is quite costly and labor intensive. The ESC requires 5v BEC due to the voltage limitations of the servo controller required to operate the servo. PN has a sensorless brushless ESC for roughly $30, plus $15 for servo controller, and the receivers generally run around $45. The SWAVE sensored ESC costs roughly $65 for the e2 and $80 for the W. The W has a higher amperage rating.

While it is possible to use the Kyosho chassis for such conversion, there is VERY limited space in it, and depending on the electronics used, it can be quite difficult to fit it all inside. Use of the Kyosho chassis requires an Swave ESC and the case must be removed. The alternative is the PN chassis which has more real estate... however it still needs a lot of parts from a mini-z to assemble. Servo motor, servo potentiometer, servo gears (with pins), servo casing... and that does not include the suspension and drivetrain parts as well.

My honest opinion, if you are interested in a 1/28 car for use with a radio system that is not supported by the EVO, and you are not racing in a stock class at a local track, a GLR or GLA would be a much more cost effective option. It comes as a kit, including the servo and sensorless HobbyWing ESC for $210. The GLR is a rear wheel drive 98mm pan chassis compatible with Kyosho bodies (lexan bumper and mounts sold separately), and the GLA is an AWD micro touring car (includes same servo and ESC). The GLA is sold in 90, 94, and 98mm wheelbases, however the 90/94mm configurations have a 5mm narrower track width (front and rear) to accommodate narrower bodies that are more prevalent in the shorter wheelbase. Additional purchase of a motor, wheels/tires, and a micro receiver would be needed to finish the kit.

The Mini-Z based chassis runs on 4xAAA cells, but can be modified for lithium use, where the GL cars are designed around 2S LiPo and are brushless compatible only.

I have raced Mini-Z for about 15 years, and the proprietary radio systems have been the biggest issue with them. It makes it difficult to run other popular radio systems, especially for new racers that do not have a donor car to extract the necessary components to convert a PN chassis to aftermarket electronics. A RTR with the proprietary radio is not expensive to get into the hobby, but for the experienced hobbyist that already has their own radio equipment that they wish to use it is a barrier of entry. The EVO was designed to help this issue, however, with the available receivers, it really only allows one alternative option from Futaba at the moment (7PX) and no news yet about Sanwa compatibility which was advertised months ago.

While RC Atomic also has a few chassis' available on the market (AWD micro touring cars), I do not find them to be nearly as straight forward and as good quality as the GL-Racing products. I have built one of each kit for the most part, and the GL can be bench built and track driven, where the Atomic cars need to be bench built and troubleshot a few times to get everything sorted.

Hope this information helps.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the responses. GL is more up my alley for how it's setup. I am not a fan proprietary electronics since I like to tinker and change stuff based on what I have available. Also, I love Hobbywing so that's a big plus.

As for my Radio, it's nothing special. I have an old DX3R and a few different Flysky setups.
​​​​
Old 03-28-2019, 04:56 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Some of the FlySky radios are compatible with the Mini-Z Sports electronics... however, these electronics are the lowest end electronics of the line and have been discontinued in favor of FHSS electronics found in the RWD and FWD chassis. I believe that the FHSS is still a FlySky band, but locked to Kyosho transmitters by firmware where the sports FHS you were able to skirt the issue with the 4 channel transmitters.

This is done for them to be able to push their radio systems, but I think that it pushes people away that are unsure if they want to get a car. I still use a 12 year old radio for this reason. I have a Sanwa radio and use it for all of my aftermarket cars, but I do not intend on getting a new transmitter for Mini-Z, therefore I only use ASF protocol on 10 year old brushed cars or use brushless cars that also come with ASF. The ASF electronics are made by KO Propo, and are proprietary to Kyosho Mini-Z as well.

Giving users access to using their own radios will make entry much easier to people already in the hobby. Locking them down, gives these larger scale users an impression of a toy grade unit rather than a hobby grade unit. Now, that is growing with the availability of more aftermarket chassis kits and electronics.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

I just watched some video ls of the WLtoys. Those also look promising.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the responses. GL is more up my alley for how it's setup. I am not a fan proprietary electronics since I like to tinker and change stuff based on what I have available. Also, I love Hobbywing so that's a big plus.

As for my Radio, it's nothing special. I have an old DX3R and a few different Flysky setups.
​​​​
There is a board compatible with your dx3r that will fit in the mini-z. It is the PN dsm2 board. But you are still stuck buying an upgrade for nearly a $100 on top of the car purchase you just made. I run a few of these boards with spektrum transmitters and they do work well.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just watched some video ls of the WLtoys. Those also look promising.
They do look like solid, very low dollar cars. I donít have one, but have something similar under the Associated name.
Bmr4life likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 AM
EMU
Tech Master

I view the WLtoys car as an inexpensive entry level car. It is designed more for drift than racing. It is a good bang for the buck value, but needs some mods documented on beaver hobbies YouTube channel for the best functionality. I don't have one, and honestly don't plan to get one since it doesn't fit the scope of my usage.

there are other similar entry level cars, such as the mini-q. However I feel that they miss the mark on quality. I have a bunch of projects which I am working on and would rather not get another car that needs a lot of mods to have full operation capability.
Bmr4life and eR1c like this.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

I thought about building an off-road tack in my basement for something like a Losi micro T. If you have really tight corners add some banking to help the cars get around easier.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I view the WLtoys car as an inexpensive entry level car. It is designed more for drift than racing. It is a good bang for the buck value, but needs some mods documented on beaver hobbies YouTube channel for the best functionality. I don't have one, and honestly don't plan to get one since it doesn't fit the scope of my usage.

there are other similar entry level cars, such as the mini-q. However I feel that they miss the mark on quality. I have a bunch of projects which I am working on and would rather not get another car that needs a lot of mods to have full operation capability.
I agree with the idea of driving versus working. I started looking at mini-z on ebay and got what I hope is a good deal. It's one of these for $85. So almost twice as much as a WLToys but should be a lot better overall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.