PN Championship Race @ Tracks Hobbies >

PN Championship Race @ Tracks Hobbies

Like Tree37Likes

PN Championship Race @ Tracks Hobbies

Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I do have a question. Considering attendance was only about 50 percent, originally 10 classes at 15 per. Could it haves handled a larger turnout? Just curious.
There was talk about putting pit tables in other rooms and on the second floor. Not ideal, but there's plenty of room in that building.

Billy, if the Sidewinderz guys come up again you should come along. I've been looking for someone to race with my FWD car.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can’t comprehend 150 entries in any scale. Don’t think I’ve I added all my races and only counted each person once, I’d break 100 yet. Don’t think the recently closed indoor track ever broke 100 in 3 years.

I know I sound a bit negative about the race. Like the story about having blindfolded people stand next to an elephant and try to describe it. I’ve been getting different views on how things went from a range of people. And time has passed since the race. Just expected more of a positive response then I’ve found in person. Nothing been overly negative, but neither has it been overly positive.

I do have a question. Considering attendance was only about 50 percent, originally 10 classes at 15 per. Could it haves handled a larger turnout? Just curious.

The 1/10 track which I have raced is possibly the busiest in the country. When I was racing there with 150 entries, it was roughly 80-90 drivers, with many running two classes. The place was huge, packed and run on an event like schedule even for its club races.

Many of the venues which I used to race mini-z years ago had very high turnouts as well (for the scale) often exceeding registration caps. This means little wiggle room for delays, (like when I almost missed a race because I thought there was one more heat before mine was up) and if you weren't ready for your race after a minutes grace, the race would run without you.

the more racers you have, the more you need to stick to a schedule. After a full day of racing the PN event was within 15 minutes of the posted schedule, so I think the Tracks guys did well in that regard.

there were definitely some negatives, but I try to focus on the positive spectrum... we need to increase momentum for the scale and not halt it every chance we get by having negative associations with different events, rule structures, and manufacturers cups.

I have raced with some of the best announcers in the business, and that definitely comes to mind when I think about the negative aspects of the weekend. Being used to having positional gaps, and general call out of lap traffic as the leaders pass is standard procedure from what I am used to, but it was missing from a lot of the races unless Grant was on the mic. Mini-z is the hardest form of RC to call, positions change very quickly and gaps can open and close before an announcer has a chance to look from the screen to the track. This was the one place that could have really used improvement, but for a relatively new facility, it is a huge learning curve to take on. Most experienced drivers have a good idea where they and their competition is on the track, but it is always good to be reassured that what you think is going on is how it is being scored.

My view is that the event was a success, and it got racers from across the country together on the same track. Many have chatted on here, or Facebook, and it was good to meet people in real life and put faces to the names. Events shouldn't be all about wins and records, but about friends made in the process. I didn't go to compete as much as to meet people in the hobby and build momentum for the future in the scale. On the flight in, I thought to myself it would be cool to get a podium in one class, and that would be a win for me.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
There was talk about putting pit tables in other rooms and on the second floor. Not ideal, but there's plenty of room in that building.

Billy, if the Sidewinderz guys come up again you should come along. I've been looking for someone to race with my FWD car.
I am interested in that track. They are working on the summer schedule, not sure what they planning yet.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

EMU.

Fair enuff.

I’ve yet to run with someone calling the race. It would be very weird, almost distracting to me.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM
EMU
Tech Master

EMU.

Fair enuff.

I’ve yet to run with someone calling the race. It would be very weird, almost distracting to me.
I'm horrible at it. I have a disconnect between my brain and mouth from a bicycle accident years ago without a helmet (minivan stopped in front of me at a red light)... I write a lot better than I speak.

When calling races, I just call gaps between racers and try to give a general idea where they stand in the race and what they need to know about traffic around them. There are some amazing announcers that can tell stories about the drivers while still calling races. I have no color to my commentary, it's all business but it allows drivers to look forward on track rather than looking behind to see if the leader is coming up on them. You're always faster when looking ahead on track vs behind...
Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

FYI, the track has switched to live time. Stats like gaps to racers, pace, position, time left and such are now readily available on screen. The director is the owner. There are at least 4 or 5 of us who actually race direct and announce for 10th scale, but so far haven't been invited to do so. That may change. As a racer, it is more important to me to know who is the leader, who is in front of me and who is behind me and at what distance. In a 5 minute race, I like to hear this every 30 seconds or after any major pile up. With these tiny cars and even on a large track first to eight in a tight race can change in fractions of a second.
EMU likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:24 PM
EMU
Tech Master

I love as much info called in a race as can be. Knowing the gaps constantly can change how you drive the race. You can often see the gaps on a small track, but a large track it is often difficult see. If I am in 2nd, I want to know if I am closing on the leader, and if not, it might change my driving to solidify 2nd rather than push to catch the leader and risk losing the position in an incident. In general, I felt like I was on my own to judge gaps, positions were called, but gaps werent. It was the only real gripe of the event for me.

In the result sheets, I like to see driver, laps/time, gap to car ahead, gap to leader, fast lap, avg top 5, avg top 10, avg lap, and % deviation.
Knowing this data can help easily see where the improvement can come from. High % deviation with lower finishing result means that there is strong consistency, but the car needs to have a little more pace. Lower % deviation with a good fast lap and avg top 5 but lower top 10 and avg lap shows that the car is inconsistent but fast, meaning effort should be placed on calming the car down to be more consistent. Of course, there are other variables like traffic and incidents, but as a driver you will know if there are incidents in the race and how it effects data. In general, I like to try to have over 90% deviation. If it is over 95%, then it might be time to look for a little more pace if the fast lap is not within a tenth of the fastest laps of other drivers.

Live RC is great to have, do they now use RC Scoring Pro, or is Live Time now taking the place of that. When I last was working with a club and Live RC, we were using RC Scoring Pro, as it was the only software applicable at the time (2012 era). We are interested in switching to Live RC now that they have announced that it would be compatible with EZ Lap hardware (which it was not before).
Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EMU
I love as much info called in a race as can be. Knowing the gaps constantly can change how you drive the race. You can often see the gaps on a small track, but a large track it is often difficult see. If I am in 2nd, I want to know if I am closing on the leader, and if not, it might change my driving to solidify 2nd rather than push to catch the leader and risk losing the position in an incident. In general, I felt like I was on my own to judge gaps, positions were called, but gaps werent. It was the only real gripe of the event for me.

In the result sheets, I like to see driver, laps/time, gap to car ahead, gap to leader, fast lap, avg top 5, avg top 10, avg lap, and % deviation.
Knowing this data can help easily see where the improvement can come from. High % deviation with lower finishing result means that there is strong consistency, but the car needs to have a little more pace. Lower % deviation with a good fast lap and avg top 5 but lower top 10 and avg lap shows that the car is inconsistent but fast, meaning effort should be placed on calming the car down to be more consistent. Of course, there are other variables like traffic and incidents, but as a driver you will know if there are incidents in the race and how it effects data. In general, I like to try to have over 90% deviation. If it is over 95%, then it might be time to look for a little more pace if the fast lap is not within a tenth of the fastest laps of other drivers.

Live RC is great to have, do they now use RC Scoring Pro, or is Live Time now taking the place of that. When I last was working with a club and Live RC, we were using RC Scoring Pro, as it was the only software applicable at the time (2012 era). We are interested in switching to Live RC now that they have announced that it would be compatible with EZ Lap hardware (which it was not before).
photos are on tracks web site, this forum won't allow me to post the link
Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bang22nd
photos are on tracks web site, this forum won't allow me to post the link
I was just about to post the same thing. I shared it on my timeline on FB.

Here are some links to event pictures on FB. facebook com (copy and paste the following into browser after FB.com)
/pg/TracksHobbies/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2181351955277914&__xts__%5B0%5 D=68.ARAFOb3Mfk0K5D9xyuxB9CJDR9LSdv19VWN1hP3uDnq1p 4xN9j1SKUB4fY9c2cDtkoKk31SdyDfZCjARgXb7D99t3mTLExV a-lsRZr7dOTagm88l4vsp2wINjiO4w8jndzYhQe7PovXJJE0XHL5 R0oTC2V4o-X8xtmU1FuUyGNlI9T8p0G0ryFgxKjDG0NtAao-HK8yrQUdxNyBikFW8JpTsZfZpwmjUPAxGC1McOcpLZ-zWu8tReRtT9vk3J2_ZoBBZuHJ03Nhocy5a2l_LdOqRz605WiXd amrCKpphH9liCBxEDb3pXtueEY5JCFyvqxXL7w&__tn__=-UCH-R

And trophy presentation on Tracks site
Podium Pictures