Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree78Likes

End of the Losi Mini 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Any input here Todd? Are the things some of us have listed as possibilities for a revised version possible?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racknpinion
Unfortunately the new LC12B1 is still not out yet. It was announced in August and the release date was originally talked about as the end of September, then October, then was pushed back to the end of November and still not a word. No pre-orders available.

Two prototype cars are in the hands of the UK and US distributor respectively, and the hold up was that the body had not been finalized. Kinda bummed because this car would change the market for the mini's, but LC doesn't even have a current website to check out. Not sure what's going on over there, but it's not encouraging.

Everyone keeps saying "Be patient", but at this point the frustrations are understandable.
Yeah that part sucks for sure. We run similar long wheelbase vehicles from LC Racing (just the longer truggy and SCTs turned into buggy form) and they are a blast.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Is the LC12B1 just a long wheelbase buggy (225mm)? If so you can get a SCT or Rally and convert it to a buggy with a body from Phat Bodies. https://phatbodies.bigcartel.com/pro...-truck-chassis
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Is the LC12B1 just a long wheelbase buggy (225mm)? If so you can get a SCT or Rally and convert it to a buggy with a body from Phat Bodies. https://phatbodies.bigcartel.com/pro...-truck-chassis
yes basically, but it is layed out more like 1/10 vehicles and has more features. But you can make LWB vehicles from the SCT or Truggy chassis, that is what most of the folks here are doing, myself included.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Is there somewhere to see the size, specs, pics for the LC12B1? I would be curious...
Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

The new LC actually started life as a DIY car by MrUnlimited here on RCtech. LC saw some of the pics he posted in one of the LC groups on Facebook and developed the car. Unfortunately LC is without a current website so nowhere to really look at specs, but it is now finally available to pre-order after multiple setbacks.

Basically its a LWB LC(same wheelbase as the SCT, truggy and rally) with a center mounted slipper, and mid chassis mounted motor for better weight distribution. Word is that it handles incredibly well, and once these fall into users hands, I think you'll see it will change the mini 1/12 off-road market. I certainly have high hopes. If December had't been so brutal with the Holidays, I'd have it on order today. As it is, I'll probably wait for parts to convert mine.

This was the first prototype image they released.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if they will offer a center diff at some point. Lots of room now.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smirkracing
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if they will offer a center diff at some point. Lots of room now.

I kinda doubt it. It would take a new motor mount, new diff cases, and revising the chassis again. I think this will be their main platform going forward for the next few years. They're also working on the new 1/10 buggy so I think that'll take up all their resources.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well, they finally did it.

The venerable Losi Mini 8ight has been shown the door. A friend brought this to my attention recently when he saw the blowout price on the classic 1/14 scale buggy at Tower Hobbies. Checking Horizon's website confirmed the bad news. For those of us that have owned the car, or its variants, it's well know it has had it's fair share of issues, but the original buggy is arguably the most complete design in terms of power plant suited to weight and size of the car. I can only hope a V2 is in the works to compete with the LC Racing cars. Give us the car you should have initially Losi, and revamp the entire line with a proper 380 sized motor and a decent 45a ESC and upgraded servo! Or make a kit and let owners make those choices themselves.

For anyone who would hate to see Losi loose this car permanently from their lineup, call, email, post on forums and make some noise. Maybe they'll listen?

Edit: It appears the Mini 8ight is on sale now at Tower Hobbies. The Mini 8ight DB is also on sale on eBay for the same closeout price. Who knows if the DB pricing will stick, so grab one now if you want one.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...k-p-los01004t2

Is $249 a good deal? Doesn't seem so blowout to me.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The new LC actually started life as a DIY car by MrUnlimited here on RCtech. LC saw some of the pics he posted in one of the LC groups on Facebook and developed the car. Unfortunately LC is without a current website so nowhere to really look at specs, but it is now finally available to pre-order after multiple setbacks.

Basically its a LWB LC(same wheelbase as the SCT, truggy and rally) with a center mounted slipper, and mid chassis mounted motor for better weight distribution. Word is that it handles incredibly well, and once these fall into users hands, I think you'll see it will change the mini 1/12 off-road market. I certainly have high hopes. If December had't been so brutal with the Holidays, I'd have it on order today. As it is, I'll probably wait for parts to convert mine.

This was the first prototype image they released.

Ohhhhh, My, that is SWEET!!
Old 12-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gticlay
Is $249 a good deal? Doesn't seem so blowout to me.

Unfortunately, you're a little late. When the Mini 8ight was being blown out at Tower it was $149. The DB was also briefly on sale through at least one ebay seller at that same time for $149 also. Then the truggy was on sale for $199. I'm not sure if it still is for Black Friday.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought a Mini 8ight-T a couple years ago. I ended up returning it, new and unused. There was so much slop in the suspension and drivetrain, I didn't feel like putting in the effort to fix it all. And that's saying something, because I've polished some really slimy turds in the past.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

When I got back into the hobby this summer, one of my goals was to bring my Mini 8ight back to life. It was my favorite mini that I got a lot of enjoyment from, and accumulated some nice upgrades to it. Not long before I took a break from the hobby, the ESC produced the magic smoke so I put it aside, and then it sat for a few years unused.

Intending to run it until something broke that could no longer be replaced, I put the Mini 8ight on the workbench to install a new pinion, 1/10 esc and a smaller receiver so everything would fit. While inspecting the buggy, I noted how it was still in good condition. The original body had no cracks, the chassis was straight and the underside was scratched of course but not all polished down to bare metal. Upgraded aluminum towers were still straight (unlike the original stock towers which had to be bend back more than a few times, and the other aluminum upgrades and the carbon fiber top brace were in great condition. The worst wear was on the wing and HPI Vorza/Apache front shock/tower protectors. I mostly used the buggy on road in front of the house and didn't thrash on it too hard other than flying if off a small skate ramp. It drove and jumped so well, just like a 1/8 buggy.

Given all that, I decided to retire the buggy instead of squeezing what life remains out of it. I'm just going to clean it up and display it in a prominent location. It is really such a nice machine and was exceptionally nice to drive after upgrading the steering and power. Wish this was still in production. I'll eventually replace it. I'm considering a Losi Mini-B or more likely a Reflex 14B; just waiting to see what deals turn-up this holiday season.

Last edited by DARKWAV; 11-07-2021 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Pictures Added
Old 11-08-2021, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Have you looked at the LC Racing vehicles? The buggy is a clone of the mini 8ight but they're better quality and they have several options like a rally car.
https://riptiderc.com/shop/ols/categories/rc-cars
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Have you looked at the LC Racing vehicles? The buggy is a clone of the mini 8ight but they're better quality and they have several options like a rally car.
https://riptiderc.com/shop/ols/categories/rc-cars
I'm not familiar at all with their cars, but I'll for sure have a look at their products and reputation before I pull the trigger on anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.