GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis

Like Tree275Likes

GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis

Old 11-08-2021, 10:19 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
I currently have blue front, black side (same as yellow) and blue on center. The center is usually the first which I change depending on the conditions, but I went from purple to blue because I was running on a larger high flow circuit which benefitted using the softer spring. Smaller circuits with more brake, I would swap back to purple. I have the jomurema body with full lexan roof, so the body isn't very heavy comparatively.
I forgot to ask....caster shim in front or back of bulkhead? How does GLR compare to GLR-GT w/ Reflex 505 rear conversion?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:30 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tend to run with max caster on the GLR. Typically one .2mm shim behind the bulkhead.

I dont have much wheeltime with the GT to compare, but generally, the GT has a more aggressive front end traction wise, and the RX505 rear makes a bit more traction than the standard GLR rear. Generally speaking, the GT has a bit more potential for pace, but is also a little more difficult to setup and get the setup window dialed in. I havent really had any track days since the PNNAC at RCHQ, where I chose to drive the GLR because I was much more familiar with it than the GT. With the GL race in Michigan in a couple weeks, I still havent had time to really work with the GT, so will be sticking with the GLR still at that event for my 2wd classes.

GLR is tried and true, and VERY consistent for me. I know its setup window, and am very comfortable with it. GT, while it does have more potential on paper, I just dont have the time to really get one dialed in and find confidence with it yet.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:46 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

I ran my GLR for the first time yesterday at RCHQ and it was very fast and consistent. I'm a believer that simpler is better, I struggled for weeks w/ MRZ but just couldn't get it dialed in. Not a knock on MRZs because several of our local fast guys have figured that car out, I just struggled with the front end.
Grant and some other Cali boys are coming to RCHQ this weekend...should be some great racing!
EMU likes this.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:21 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by P2
I ran my GLR for the first time yesterday at RCHQ and it was very fast and consistent. I'm a believer that simpler is better, I struggled for weeks w/ MRZ but just couldn't get it dialed in. Not a knock on MRZs because several of our local fast guys have figured that car out, I just struggled with the front end.
Grant and some other Cali boys are coming to RCHQ this weekend...should be some great racing!
GLR is relatively simple, and it's consistency is why im not really pushing to get the GT going yet.

Once I dial in the baseline, and adjust the tweak on the side shocks... most of my tuning on it comes in the center shock and tire choice. I adjust the droop on the center shock with my drag brake setting on the ESC. Starting with maximum droop available on the shaft, and as little drag brake as possible. As I need more drag brake to get more steering into the corners, I dial back on the droop a bit. It's a balance between front tire, droop and drag brake that effects the attitude of the car into the corner and through to the apex.

once you hit the apex and start to ramp up the power, that's where the center spring comes in to play mostly. I tend to start around yellow or blue, and adjust the rate with the amount of traction and rotation that I am looking for on throttle. More grip, generally stiffer center spring...

for grease, I usually use kyosho 30k on center, 15k on sides and on the front kingpin to the lower ball. I generally try to predict where traction will be later in the race day, and setup towards that, which can lead to a slower car early on, but as the event goes forward, it falls into place. And not changing the setup too much allows me to feel out conditions better.

At RCHQ I used marka 5 on the rear and PN KS medium front in mod 2wd classes. For SS, I think 10 rear may be slightly better due to the lower power and less wear (to keep rollout).
Old 11-08-2021, 01:02 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

EMU, thanks for all the setup info. My baseline yesterday was real close to your recommendations. Had purple springs up front and blue side/center springs. Will try blue front/yellow side next time out as I felt the car could use a tad more steering. Tires were Marka 10 and KSM med up front. Had a good amount of rear droop and could possible use a little more drag brake for added off power steering.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been running a setup similar to EMU's on my GLR for a couple of years and I haven't had to change much. At the most, I adjust the preload and droop. The GT is an entirely different beast. I have to continuously adjust the tweak on the rear end so I've been running my MRZ more. I'm finally at a point where that car is as consistent as the GLR. I'll probably be getting the Reflex rear end for the GT in the near future though so it may get some more track time.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Checking MHM Grand Prix, CO results on liverc what caugh my eye was P1 super stock driver results in A1/A2 with his all factory original suspension GLR-GT ...fastest pace of the entire weekend within ALL calsses ( mod & pan included !! ) and from what I can see his 9.689 fast lap in SS A2 was the fast lap of the event in all qualis & mains .... ballistic ! 👏👏👏
Old 11-09-2021, 03:23 PM
EMU
Tech Master

I looked over the results, and that GT was FAST! GT definitely has more potential of pace because it has capability of more traction on the front end than the GLR. The lower front CG also helps you drive into the corner harder as well without getting bit. The GLR is a more simple plug and play type of car, which is super consistent once dialed in. And it's not too far off ultimate pace of the GT.

I am looking forward to seeing the pace of GT, GLR and MRZ at next week's race. I sticking with GLR because I haven't had enough track time with GT to feel comfortable. I've driven once since the PN race, which was in June. I'm just going to try to focus on consistency and comfort in the cars and hope I have enough pace to keep in touch. In Texas it was about 2 tenths pace difference, but I expect a more technical track this time out which could yield higher returns for the GT if dialed in. The venue will be new, so conditions unfamiliar to all, which should show good pace of the cars.
mugler likes this.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On the GLR GT - any tricks to loosen up the ball sockets in the front upper and lower control arms? I tried the car out last weekend, but it was very hard to drive, we found the steering knuckles were pretty tight, and probably making it hard for the steering to return to center. Strange because the up and down motion is smooth, and only restricted when turning.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU
I looked over the results, and that GT was FAST! GT definitely has more potential of pace because it has capability of more traction on the front end than the GLR. The lower front CG also helps you drive into the corner harder as well without getting bit. The GLR is a more simple plug and play type of car, which is super consistent once dialed in. And it's not too far off ultimate pace of the GT.

I am looking forward to seeing the pace of GT, GLR and MRZ at next week's race. I sticking with GLR because I haven't had enough track time with GT to feel comfortable. I've driven once since the PN race, which was in June. I'm just going to try to focus on consistency and comfort in the cars and hope I have enough pace to keep in touch. In Texas it was about 2 tenths pace difference, but I expect a more technical track this time out which could yield higher returns for the GT if dialed in. The venue will be new, so conditions unfamiliar to all, which should show good pace of the cars.
Been browsing entry list & also looking forward to following the results & pace of different chassis/drivers at the upcoming GL Nationals a lot of fast names will be on that property that weekend. With all the GL drivers out there would have been nice to see even a larger F1 class which as of late seems to the blooming in a lot tracks in the States.
Always a wise choice to stick with one's own tried & true setup for racing, good luck over there
EMU likes this.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
On the GLR GT - any tricks to loosen up the ball sockets in the front upper and lower control arms? I tried the car out last weekend, but it was very hard to drive, we found the steering knuckles were pretty tight, and probably making it hard for the steering to return to center. Strange because the up and down motion is smooth, and only restricted when turning.
Take a needle nose pliers and gently squeeze the sockets with the balls in them. Should loosen it right up.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
Take a needle nose pliers and gently squeeze the sockets with the balls in them. Should loosen it right up.
Thanks, I'll give it shot.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:01 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

EMU - Thanks for your setup tips! I ran the car exactly as you recommended. The friendly TX Vs. Cali race at RCHQ was a blast. There were drivers from Cali, Colorado, Utah, and San Antonio/Austin/Houston TX.
Fastest lap of the day was Marcus Williams GL open car, Chris Kemper had fastest lap in SS with MRZ (TQ).
I didn't have any clean runs in qualifying but the car came alive in the 1/4 , 1/2, and Final main, finished 3rd overall in SS (had fastest lap in main).
SS had a mixture of cars: 2 MRZ (TQ and win both Reflex rear end), 2 PN, 2 GLR, 1 GLR GT w/Reflex rear end..
Here's the results and video of the mains:
https://rchq.liverc.com/results/?p=view_event&id=363086
EMU likes this.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:34 PM
EMU
Tech Master

P2, thanks for posting the video, I just watched SS and open... Car looks good, but does look a bit edgy close to steering center. Do you have any curve on the steering? Any bind on the balls in the arms, or links? It just looks much more edgy than it should be near the center, but really good and smooth in the corners. I tend to run about -10 to -15 on steering to make it feel linear, but not sure if its an electronics thing, or maybe a servo saver/steering bind issue?

Are you using the kit saver, and is there any slop when you nudge the wheels while holding servo horn? The kit saver is prone to developing slop. I generally try to use 1mm front wheels to keep them tucked in to protect them and also to reduce scrub, and strain on the steering. The more offset you run, the more force goes to the servo, and running wide offsets can provide a bit more stability, but I find that it reduces feel for the steering. I have seen many more steering issues with drivers who use wide offset than those with low offset, even ones who do not crash much. I used my stock saver for about 1.5 years, then swapped to the option saver, and gave my old saver to someone at RCHQ's PNNAC race who had a bad saver and they said it was night and day difference. I would recommend having a spare saver, and side links as those are typically the first parts to have issues. But, generally, I find the GLR to be one of the most reliable cars that I have driven.

Marcus mentioned to me that he had a decent start, but race blew up on him... and he was content with grabbing that hot lap to take home with him. I just didnt have a chance to track down the video... He was charging at the end... but just came up a bit short.
chjosi likes this.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

[QUOTE=EMU;15844639]
I generally try to use 1mm front wheels to keep them tucked in to protect them and also to reduce scrub, and strain on the steering.[/QUOTE]

1mm? -? +?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.