Like Tree167Likes

GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis

Old 01-25-2021, 01:08 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja View Post
Hello all
What setup has the most effect on the GLR other than the tire choice? maybe tire gluing/tape?
Do you run diff with slip or full lock?
Because I am very new to this car, what is the effect of the changes to the center shock, side spring, front spring, front and rear droop including the grease?

Since the first time I had glr, yesterday my glr can be controlled after changing the receiver. apparently there was a problem with the receiver.
TIA
diff tension I always start with the loosest setting which doesn't slip under full acceleration.

I only run with brass chassis. front springs I use blue edith lexan body and purple with hard bodies. Side spring I mostly use yellow side springs. This has the body roll which I like to have on the car.

the center shock is where I do most of the tuning for the circuit. Spring rate I change to the traction level of the circuit along with body choice to control overall steering feel from mid corner to exit. As spring rate is changed, preload is adjusted to maintain ride height.

Droop is where I control the corner entry to mid corner along with drag brake.

there is a lot you can do with just the center shock.
b.wihardja and NutDriver like this.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
diff tension I always start with the loosest setting which doesn't slip under full acceleration.

I only run with brass chassis. front springs I use blue edith lexan body and purple with hard bodies. Side spring I mostly use yellow side springs. This has the body roll which I like to have on the car.

the center shock is where I do most of the tuning for the circuit. Spring rate I change to the traction level of the circuit along with body choice to control overall steering feel from mid corner to exit. As spring rate is changed, preload is adjusted to maintain ride height.

Droop is where I control the corner entry to mid corner along with drag brake.

there is a lot you can do with just the center shock.
How about the gease is it play significant role on the setup? I have tamiya soft, med and hard. Mine is vibrating during a corner and sliding uncontrolable during hard braking. Also tend to slide to the left on hard acceleration
Old 01-25-2021, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I
With the GLR, to track prep, brass chassis, 1.5d knuckle, spring sets, and the side pistons are all of the essential parts needed outside of motor and receiver. (car in video was equipped exactly this way)
i don't see any 1.5d knuckle on gl website, there is only 1, 2.5 and 3.
kit standar is 0 degree right?
Edited: our LHS have 1, 2 & 3. What do you prefer 1 or 2?

Last edited by b.wihardja; 01-25-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:08 PM
EMU
Tech Master

i don't see any 1.5d knuckle on gl website, there is only 1, 2.5 and 3.
kit standar is 0 degree right?
Edited: our LHS have 1, 2 & 3. What do you prefer 1 or 2?
I would choose 1d if 1.5 isn't available. GLR-004-1.5 is part number for the 1.5. Must be out of stock.

Kit is 0d
b.wihardja likes this.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:22 PM
EMU
Tech Master

How about the gease is it play significant role on the setup? I have tamiya soft, med and hard. Mine is vibrating during a corner and sliding uncontrolable during hard braking. Also tend to slide to the left on hard acceleration
I use Kyosho 30k grease in center shock, and 15k on side and front.

I preload right shock about 1-1.5 turn more than left to balance the load on the rear axle. Depending on side spring used, it may be different. Since the differential being offset produces an imbalance in the pod, this is one way to produce consistent drive off the corner and under braking.

I lift the rear of the car and want both wheels to lift at the same time. The other method would be to balance the rear pod by adding mass.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

With the release of the GLR-GT is the GLR discontinued? I prefer the fixed lower arm suspension but I'm worried about replacement part availability.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ae4ever View Post
With the release of the GLR-GT is the GLR discontinued? I prefer the fixed lower arm suspension but I'm worried about replacement part availability.
At one point, I think they said that the GLR-GT was not really a replacement for the GLR and they'd continue to sell both. As someone who owns both, I can say that they're very different in the way they handle.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kremzeek View Post
At one point, I think they said that the GLR-GT was not really a replacement for the GLR and they'd continue to sell both. As someone who owns both, I can say that they're very different in the way they handle.
Can you expand on the handling characteristics of both cars? I feel that I would be more comfortable with the standard 1/12 scale suspension on the GLR.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Biggest difference is the double-wishbone suspension on the GT. Its supposed to handle bumpier tracks better and not traction roll as much. It also has a lot more grip so you have tons of steering. I added the optional sway bar to tone it down a bit. Downside is that with the shocks and what not, its a little harder to tune than the front of the GLR.
ae4ever likes this.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

The old GLR already has a lot of steering... I do hope the new version can be run on rcp96 without the need of brass lower deck.

I may have to pick one up soon, GLR GT seems to be the only chassis outside kyosho to support 90/94mm narrow body.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Front pivot balls binding

Ok, I'm mid build on my GLR a found the front upper and lower pivot balls have a slight bind, what's the easiest method of freeing them up?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:24 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Ok, I'm mid build on my GLR a found the front upper and lower pivot balls have a slight bind, what's the easiest method of freeing them up?
a little dab of polish, and work it in by hand... then clean the polish off.
ae4ever likes this.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Hard body

Finished with the GLR build and I should have ditched the 03 months ago. Now I'm looking for a hard body to top it with. I ran a auto scale 12c w/ lexan window on my 03 and don't have anything bad to say about it but most of the guys at the track run the jomurema GT01 body w/ lexan roof. What's the gotta have hard body now days?

Thanks,

Old 04-07-2021, 04:18 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Finished with the GLR build and I should have ditched the 03 months ago. Now I'm looking for a hard body to top it with. I ran a auto scale 12c w/ lexan window on my 03 and don't have anything bad to say about it but most of the guys at the track run the jomurema GT01 body w/ lexan roof. What's the gotta have hard body now days?

Thanks,
There are a lot of variables, amount of power, traction and driving style definitely come into play with body choice. I personally like the way the 12C handles on the GLR. The jomurema is a good body, with a large setup window. It is pretty neutral with good balance, and shortish overhangs. It seems to do a lot well, but for me, I kind of prefer 12C for low to medium power with medium to high traction.

Here are a few bodies that I was testing with my last real test session... the surface was relatively low traction, so I did like the big McClaren because it tends to slow down reaction somewhat due to the overhangs.

The old R8 is also pretty good, somewhat similar in feel to the jomurema, but doesn't make as much traction.

I tend to prefer cab forward bodies, as I feel that they enhance the strengths of the GLR. I prefer to drive it on the front more than the rear, and the steering feel of the chassis I feel goes well with cab forward designs, or neutral cab.
ae4ever likes this.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks again EMU, I think I'll stick with the 12c. Are you attending the PNNAC this year? It's at my home track so you'll be able to see all your information put to use, not necessarily good use.... Also why are you still running a sensor less ESC? I just picked up the new PN sensored system now that it's legal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.