GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis >

GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis

Like Tree122Likes

GLR 1/27 Scale RWD Pan Chassis

Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
it sounds very odd that the cap stud screw would interfere with a 9t 64p pinion when that should place the motor as close to the differential as possible.
Spent an hour looking at my car with an 11t pinion and his car that couldnít fit a 9t pinion. Couldn't figure out the problem. I wasnít willing to pull my car apart to measure parts and compare to his car. Guess heíll have to buy a new pod if he wants to change gearing.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

On another note, how do I get more traction on the front end. I can hear the front end sliding when I turn with any speed. None of my mini z cars do this. They seem way more forgiving if I overshoot a turn. Seems like they have a good bit more front traction and steering. I did set our track record by a tenth of a second vs. my full PN car which is far and away more consistent to drive. I’ve played with front offsets and tires and ended up with +2 offset wheels and Kyosho 20* low slicks. The car still slides the front, but not as bad now. Waiting for PN tires to make at here to try. Also put on -1* camber knuckles to try.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:10 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyram View Post
On another note, how do I get more traction on the front end. I can hear the front end sliding when I turn with any speed. None of my mini z cars do this. They seem way more forgiving if I overshoot a turn. Seems like they have a good bit more front traction and steering. I did set our track record by a tenth of a second vs. my full PN car which is far and away more consistent to drive. I’ve played with front offsets and tires and ended up with +2 offset wheels and Kyosho 20* low slicks. The car still slides the front, but not as bad now. Waiting for PN tires to make at here to try. Also put on -1* camber knuckles to try.
If you are happy with your tire selection play with the preload/droop on the center spring. It is amazing how even a 1/4 turn is very noticeable. I use a base of 1mm of droop and go from there a quarter turn at a time.

With that said are you running on RCP? If so I am surprised you can get away with Kyosho 20's in the front. I run on a Mini96 track and even running PN KS Mediums up front I feel them "go away" if I push too hard for too long. I would think you could over heat the 20's super easily but I have never tried them.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-24-2020, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
If you are happy with your tire selection play with the preload/droop on the center spring. It is amazing how even a 1/4 turn is very noticeable. I use a base of 1mm of droop and go from there a quarter turn at a time.

With that said are you running on RCP? If so I am surprised you can get away with Kyosho 20's in the front. I run on a Mini96 track and even running PN KS Mediums up front I feel them "go away" if I push too hard for too long. I would think you could over heat the 20's super easily but I have never tried them.

Cheers,
Jim
Definitely not happy with tires. Seems like they all go away after half a pack or less. Running KS type f super softs in the rear. We run the rough side of rcp track. On the droop, where do I measure on the middle shock?

We went in blind on the GLR. No help locally, so just learning the car as we go. Most adjustments only offer a tiny bit of difference in feel. Tires are for sure the biggest hurdle to get over. Trying to wait for the KS super soft rears to be available before I order again. All we have available locally are Kyosho tires unfortunately.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:21 AM
Tech Adept

The new Marka V1 5deg rear tire seems like a good replacement tire for the ks super soft tire. I have put a few thousand laps on my evo 5500kv car with the marka rears and I have ordered more to add to my parts box.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Definitely not happy with tires. Seems like they all go away after half a pack or less. Running KS type f super softs in the rear. We run the rough side of rcp track. On the droop, where do I measure on the middle shock?

We went in blind on the GLR. No help locally, so just learning the car as we go. Most adjustments only offer a tiny bit of difference in feel. Tires are for sure the biggest hurdle to get over. Trying to wait for the KS super soft rears to be available before I order again. All we have available locally are Kyosho tires unfortunately.

I have never run my GLR on the rough side but I have run plenty on the rough side with my MR03's. I bet you could get away with KS Softs on the rear of the GLR. I will run either Softs or Super Softs on both my 3500kv GLR or my 48t LM MR03, I find that the SS's give a wee bit more forward bite but the Softs, especially if the temp is 69* or more, work just fine. I do not feel any difference in lateral stick between the two.

On the front I normally run Mediums but being that you are running the rough side you may very well be able to get away with the firms.

I was a long hold out switching over to the smooth side. When I first did it I hated it, I had to re-tune all my cars, I was traction rolling everywhere, the cars felt weird, and I just did not like it. Now that I have been running on the smooth side for 6 months and have some rubber on the track there is no way I would ever go back. The smooth side offers more consistency, tires last a lot longer, and it is so much cleaner. The cleanliness was a big thing for me. There was so much junk coming off the track that I got filthy running my cars. Running on the smooth side there is still some tire/tack dust coming off the track but it is 1:10th what it was on the rough side.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MTseo View Post
The new Marka V1 5deg rear tire seems like a good replacement tire for the ks super soft tire. I have put a few thousand laps on my evo 5500kv car with the marka rears and I have ordered more to add to my parts box.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered v1 5* and 10* to try. Also ordered a few other PN front and rears to try. Hopefully I can figure it out soon, lol.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LJH View Post
I have never run my GLR on the rough side but I have run plenty on the rough side with my MR03's. I bet you could get away with KS Softs on the rear of the GLR. I will run either Softs or Super Softs on both my 3500kv GLR or my 48t LM MR03, I find that the SS's give a wee bit more forward bite but the Softs, especially if the temp is 69* or more, work just fine. I do not feel any difference in lateral stick between the two.

On the front I normally run Mediums but being that you are running the rough side you may very well be able to get away with the firms.

I was a long hold out switching over to the smooth side. When I first did it I hated it, I had to re-tune all my cars, I was traction rolling everywhere, the cars felt weird, and I just did not like it. Now that I have been running on the smooth side for 6 months and have some rubber on the track there is no way I would ever go back. The smooth side offers more consistency, tires last a lot longer, and it is so much cleaner. The cleanliness was a big thing for me. There was so much junk coming off the track that I got filthy running my cars. Running on the smooth side there is still some tire/tack dust coming off the track but it is 1:10th what it was on the rough side.

Cheers,
Jim
Great info there! Found some KS medium and firm fronts and have them on the way. Also grabbed some KS-M softs for the rear. Iím willing to try anything at this point. 😂 Will be running the smooth side after things get back to normal around here. We definitely make some tire dust!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In my early time using the GLR, my go to tire combo was KS soft rear and K20 front. I actually used LM 20 fronts trued down, and liked them best. This combo worked well with the stock chassis, and up to about 140-50g. More mass on the car, or warmer conditions or more load on the tire (larger tracks etc), the tire would overheat and start to grain/blister. This really only became apparent when I switched to metal chassis decks. With the carbon deck, the K20 worked quite well, and could be used across many situations.

At the PN NAC last April, I had a thin 20g steel chassis on my pan car. I used KS SS rear, with K20 front. The car needed a little more front bite, as the track was a little large, and the tires were getting a little hot. In the second round of mains, I switched to PN firm front tires, and they were just too much initial bite in comparison that I felt the car was undriveable. I switched back to the K20 for round 3. Controlling tire temp with the K20 is very important.

I am mostly using PN medium front tires now. The firm have more initial steering than the medium, but a little less overall. Soft fronts I have not used yet, but may have less initial steering than the medium to take a little more of the edge off. It sounds weird, but is something that I noticed in my testing. I typically like to focus most on front end feel of the car with tire choice and setup, then adjust the rear to maximize traction off the corner while not sacrificing rotation.

In general, I have found that the GLR is fastest for me when I underdrive the car a little, but also I focus my setup for corner entry and find that it does work the front tire considerably less than the Kyosho style chassis. I try to dial in as much corner entry and mid corner steering into the car, and drive the car more straight off the corner rather than trying to throttle steer. In general, there is a LOT more front end sensitivity on the GLR than the Mini-Z, and when the setup is dialed in for it, it is MUCH faster into and through the corners, then you just need to get the rear end worked out.
MTseo likes this.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

I had bought several sets of pn ks super soft front tires to use on the rear of my GLF1 last fall. I was using the 14mm pn rims and put 2 of the front tires on to make a super soft rear. As marka came out with a new tire that works on the GLF1 I stopped using the super soft fronts. So last week I was looking through my stash of tires which is getting low, due to the great tire shortage of 2020, and decided to try the super soft tires on the front of my GLR. I have been really surprised at how smooth they are. I ran my hfay race with them and ended with a personal best. I have not tried them on a large track yet, but for our little hfay track I will be sticking with them for awhile and even added a set to my evo SS car.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone come across a problem like this? When i tried to make a left 180 u turn, my glr seems to refuse my input and understeer quite badly. As if the chassis is bottoming out. I built the front end based on online instruction so i dont know if the ride height will be a problem.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
Has anyone come across a problem like this? When i tried to make a left 180 u turn, my glr seems to refuse my input and understeer quite badly. As if the chassis is bottoming out. I built the front end based on online instruction so i dont know if the ride height will be a problem.

What body are you running and what front tires are you running? Some times at full steering lock the front wheels will rub the inside of the body causing the car to not steer correctly.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
Mine has understeer for sure on the right hand turn coming off our straightaway. I can hear the tires sliding across the rcp track. Iíve tried all the adjustments with no luck so far. Have a few tires on the way to try. Iím using the brass chassis and running on the rough side of the RCP track.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Good info EMU!

How tight do y’all screw in the pin for the front upper arms? I barely snug mine then back it out a 1/8 turn maybe less.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Mine has understeer for sure on the right hand turn coming off our straightaway. I can hear the tires sliding across the rcp track. Iíve tried all the adjustments with no luck so far. Have a few tires on the way to try. Iím using the brass chassis and running on the rough side of the RCP track.

Do you have body rub? Most of the Mini Z bodies rub on the GLR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.