Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless >

Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless

Like Tree11Likes

Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless

Old 02-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Hereís a couple pics of my BX 4.18. You can see the capacitor taped to the top of the servo. It came loose at first, but I cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and it stuck pretty well after that.

The build is solid but nothing fancy:
Aluminum dog bones and axles
Plastic everything else
14T aluminum pinion
Generic 2430 7200kv motor
Generic 35A 2S/3S ESC
MG90D clone servo
All the mods from the mod thread

Just waiting for spring to get a nice clean 3S speed run, then decide whatís next. I wonder if the local 1:10 indoor off-road club would let me race beginner class with it... Iíve never raced before. :-)

Old 02-18-2018, 06:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I hear u can't keep dirt out of the wl toys 1/18 line, powerful little bastards though!

I think I should upgrade bearings probably in all my rc's.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by meow_mx View Post
Hereís a couple pics of my BX 4.18. You can see the capacitor taped to the top of the servo. It came loose at first, but I cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and it stuck pretty well after that.

The build is solid but nothing fancy:
Aluminum dog bones and axles
Plastic everything else
14T aluminum pinion
Generic 2430 7200kv motor
Generic 35A 2S/3S ESC
MG90D clone servo
All the mods from the mod thread

Just waiting for spring to get a nice clean 3S speed run, then decide whatís next. I wonder if the local 1:10 indoor off-road club would let me race beginner class with it... Iíve never raced before. :-)

Bet that combo runs great on 3s for speed runs!! Imo For track use, 7200 is a but high tho. I was just at my local indoor track yesterday. I watched the 1/10 buggy and truggy qualifying rounds. Jeez those guys are good! Currently no 1/18 classes, but if i get 3 other guys with 1/18 cars then we can start are own class! My other 8th scale vehicles are to big.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Also hit the local skate park with kidos yesterday for an epic bash. Big backflip transfers out of a ten full bowl. Man had some major slams, thought for sure something would have broke! I think this car has been so reliable for me (aside from a plastic shock tower) bc it's so light weight! Just dosent slam that hard.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well it's been about a month since i went brushless and upgraded my shocks and shock towers. I've put in quite a few bashings since then including two different dirt tracks, a skatepark and my yard/street and overall I'm very happy with it!

The complete plastic drivetrain is fully intact and working perfectly including the servo! Still have the aluminum drivetrain kit on the shelf. Im very pleased with the stock dromida drivetrain!!!

The aluminum shock kit that cost me 50 bucks (the price I paid for the rtr dromida mt), has been nothing but a pain in the ass! Bending/snapping shock shafts every other run. The shocks worked smooth literally for one day. Just had all the shocks apart again this morning after hitting the 1/8 rc dirt track with my kid yesterday. Fixed the one bent shaft and all four shocks just don't do what they did the day I put them on.

Then supposedly I bought the old style shock towers. They have the aluminum body mounts as part of the tower. I shaved them down some in height as not to slam on them so hard when i land upside down. Well my front tower is bent and pushed forward a tad causing the diff case to crack $!#*&^!

Looked for some upgraded shafts with no luck. Maybe hot racing shocks are worth a shot. Anyways I have a cpl questions for you guys

Anybody know where I can find a diff case?
And the plastic body mounts for the newer style shock towers??

Thanks again
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

You did buy the old MT shock kit. There are hardened shock shafts (mentioned in earlier post) DIDC1143 not saying that they are that much better but they are cheap enough to try. Also the shocks I mentioned earlier have thicker shock shafts but Hot racing may be better. There are not any replacement posts you have to buy the the whole shock tower. Mentioned earlier that Duratrax Mini Quake posts DTXC6461 will work they are not as thick but they are cheap for a set of four. Dromida gearbox DIDC1006 you can google and search till you find a site that has them.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

those are the the shafts that I keep bending. I need something thicker!

wow that just seems very dumb that dromida dosent sell replacement body mounts by themselves. seeing how hot racing makes a shock tower that I believe you have to supply your own body mounts for. when I replace the gearbox ill probably replace the bent shock tower as well if I cant bend it back myself. its probably not helping my shocks.

thanks for the info. when I replace the shock tower ill look into those other body mounts you speak of.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Body Mounts
Newer monster trucks come with the same shock towers and body mounts as the stadium trucks, DIDC1054. The body mounts are adjustable height and stick up only the minimum height. You get a shock tower and two body mount pegs in each package, for just a couple of bucks: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVGK

Their parts list page is pretty useful overall: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...5p?&I=DIDC0058

Shock Shafts
I wonder if you could bend the shafts less by putting less load on them.

What weight oil do you have in the shocks? Thinner oil may help reduce the shocks "packing up" and thus bend the shafts less. Or drill the holes a little bigger in the pistons.

Do you have rubber tubing for bump-stops on the shock shafts? You'll want them, especially if you put thinner oil and jump hard.

Generic 35A ESC update
The generic 35A 2s/3s ESC started on fire today, after a handful of full-throttle 3s passes up and down the block. This was after installing a smaller pinion to lower the top speed a bit and keep all 4 wheels on the ground!

Motor temperature was about 220F -- too hot for long-term health. I usually run on 2s (which is much cooler) so I'm not too worried.

ESC temperature had never been above 120F before, so I think one or more of the FETs must have failed and burned up.

Starting to look around for an affordable ESC that will handle occasional abuse running a high KV motor on 3s. Dunno if I'm going to try another one of these generic ones, or step up to something better-made.

Last edited by meow_mx; 03-12-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was running stock when I bent and snapped my first cpl of shock shafts. Then i bumped the oil in the front to 32.5 weight. Bent a few more after that. So i picked up some thinner 27.5 weight to try out.

Do you mean a rubber stopper so the bottom of the shock dosent hit the piston on the shaft??

That really sucks about ur esc catching fire!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Big difference with the hot racing tower! I bet there shocks are very nice as well.

If i was to buy a set of hot racing shocks for the front (where I keep bending shock shafts) and then bend a shaft, can I buy hot racing replacement shafts? I cant find any. And i emailed hot racing with no response.

Also just picked up a brushless dromida dt for my kid. Man his truck is loud! Is it supposed to be really loud like that? Dosent seem right. Way louder than my $20 China setup!

Gotta say though. The stock brushless dromida with the nmh battery is faster than I thought!

Last edited by Beefy nugz; 03-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, a little piece of rubber hose on the shock shaft acts like a real stiff spring that kicks in just before the chassis slaps the ground and cushions it. On a 1:1 car theyíre set to prevent the chassis hitting the ground at all, but on the little dromida itís good to have it still able to contact the ground after compressing the rubber a bit.

Tested my motor and I think one of the windings shorted. With a good esc it just wiggled back and forth and got real hot real fast. So I think the motor went first then took the ESC with it. Going to try the Carisma sensored 5350kv motor next. Iíll post about it when it comes. :-)

Wow that hot racing shock tower looks thick! Pretty nice. Plus you can use the cheap plastic body pins.

Glad you and your kid can drive together now! Is the noise due to bad pinion mesh? Did you replace the battery connector, or keep the Tamiya Mini stock connector?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

no we just have the factory white connector on there.

I here what your sayin about chassis slap. energy should go somewhere besides just the shocks!

what size can is that carisma motor?
Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Servo question.

So I'm tossing in the emax servo using a horn. The horn that was supplied with the servo has micro sized holes that are to small for the ball screw. A simple drill will fix this. But I'm not big on weakening the already weak plastic horn. What do ppl do. Buy a different horn or drill?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

what? ok by me we have 5 rc shops w/i 30 minutes they have bags of 5 different size horn 4 like 7$ ..buy one new. i have a few storage containers full for kits and servo i have purchased in build mods.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

ok. ill stop by my LHS and have me a looksy

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service