R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Like Tree8Likes

Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Yeah leave the speed to the 1/8 monster. Those big boys need room to run. But the minis sure are fun in smaller spaces. Those racerstar combos are pretty decent they get good reviews on bangggood.com. I have the same esc (blue heatsink though) in a traxxas teton running a dromida brushless motor and its plenty fast enough (on 2s) for off and onroad. The speed from that 2435 will be a big diifference from that brushed motor. The speed from that 4100kv castle would be good offroad but probably left you wanting to use 3s onroad. Every combo, esc, motor can be hit or miss hopefully you get a hit. Also make sure you get the aluminum dogbones, center driveshaft and aluminum axles those plastic parts will not last with brushless power especially offroad.
Beefy nugz likes this.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-13-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Igottabeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

yeah I was thinking that the 5300kv castle motor would have been a better choice, couldn't find a decent price on one though. and for $27 shipped for the racestar, plus I watched a couple good reviews on youtube. its not the end of the world if its not what I'm looking for, but a start.

I also purchased the rx18 receiver, then ill be purchasing all the little odds and ends that you previously listed and this puzzle of a process will be at phase 2..... putting it all together. lol that's gonna be a fun one. so keep an eye out for a " help with my dromida build thread" lmao

thanks again
Beefy nugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I have two Dromida SC trucks that I switched over to brushless last Spring. Both trucks are identical with Hobbywing EZRun 18amp, 5200KV setups. Both trucks have run perfectly on our back property dirt track.

I recommend these combo setups based on my experience with them.

Hobbywing EZRun 18amp, 5200kv.

Twin Dromida SCs with Hobbywing EZRun setups.

noel02 likes this.
RGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Sweet. I looked at that setup a cpl times. Good to hear that it works for you.

Does anybody know if I will need the bellcrank and steering linkage? Both come with the dromida brushless speed kit is why I figured I might need it
Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy nugz View Post
Sweet. I looked at that setup a cpl times. Good to hear that it works for you.

Does anybody know if I will need the bellcrank and steering linkage? Both come with the dromida brushless speed kit is why I figured I might need it
My trucks were brushed when I bought them. I had to add this (see link) servo mount after switching over to brushless.

What's nice about staying with the standard servo position is that the link between the servo arm and bellcrank is adjustable. With the adjustable length link you can balance your left & right steering throw equally while keeping your servo centered perfectly.

Dromida servo mount.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dromida...dc1202/p585507
RGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Yeah I have a SC4.18 as well.

The stock tires on the short course are good on road and light packed dirt but they are horrible offroad tires.

Heres whats in mine and what it looks like.

SC4.18 with lights installed for night driving

Trimmed fenders Wltoys A959 wheels.

25a esc 2430 7200kv motor Muchmore cooling fan stock servo Goolrc Tg3 receiver
Old 01-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

Thanks rgunn, that is the one I ordered.

Igottabeme, those wheels and tires look good on your sc! Do you have the 12mm hexs on their?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

I could go into a lot of detail if your want about wheels that are a direct fit but bottom line the hex size is the same 7mm.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-14-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

Yes I went with the racestar 4800kv.

If say in the future I decided to try a 2440 can with a 2.3mm shaft, I would then just go with a 2.3mm pinion, everything else stays the same?

What kinda detail could one get into about the 7mm hex??
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

If you can find a 2.3mm 0.6mod pinion then yes. The max size pinion you can use is a 13t pinion (without modifying the motor mount). I tried a 2440 4600kv racerstar in a dt4.18 (13t pinion) and saw no better speed than the dromida motor. But the motor could be pushed faster with a larger pinion. If you modify the motor mount and go without a spur gear cover you can use a larger pinion and get more speed. I had used a 13t brass pinion and all it (2440 motor) did is chew up the spur and the pinion (I had spur gear motor mesh correct).

Wltoys A9X9 series of rcs use the same hex as the dromidas. The hsp 1/18s use a 7mm hex. The helion animus uses 7mm hex. All the whheels are the same but the Wltoys wheels do not have any foam in them whereas the others do. WLtoys wheels are cheaper though.

The dromidas use axles were the hex is built in to the axle. Dromida does make a 12mm hex adapter. The others use steel axles (dromida has plastic or aluminum) with the removable hexes but the hexes are not as thick. So you can use Wltoys wheels on dromidas but not dromida wheels on Wltoys and the others without shims so you can tighten the down the wheels without rubbing.

The plastic axles in the dromidas do not last especially in the front. The aluminum axles will last a long time with on road use but not long offroad. The aluminum axles after some use will wear and expand and the bearings will become difficult to remove. These parts are not expensive but I am getting tired of replacing them.

I am starting to mod them with the wltoys steel axles. The moster truck I showed earlier has the steel axles, wltoys aluminum removable hexes and helion animus mt wheels. So far so good now I just need to find steel dogbones because the aluminum dogbones wear out too.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

Wow.

I get what your saying about 2.3mm shaft, only pinion I found for it were like 30t+!

As far as the wheels go. I've already got the 12mm hex adapters. I figured slightly bigger wheels will allow better ground clearance for driving in grass and lose dirt.

So your saying that the dromida aluminum axles don't last long off road. I think hot racing makes axles for the dromida
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #27
Tech Initiate

Heres the page for the dromida hot racing parts I do not see any axles

hot-racing.com

I might try the upper chassis brace though. The plastic chassis plate flexes and sometimes the pins that hold the steering rack pop out on impact with the wheels.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Must be mistaken on tgem axles. Yeah that chasis brace does look like a nice piece. Hot racing makes quality parts.

Have u tried hot racing shocks on the dromida? I wonder how they compare to the aluminum dromida shocks
Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

The hot racing shocks look nice but I do not feel like spending over $30.00 for four of them.

The dromida aluminum shocks are not bad but just like the stock plastic ones the shock shaft should be replaced with the hardened ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dromida...AAAOSwb3NZrp-m

The stock shocks and other parts I only upgrade them as needed.

I am going with these shocks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they are cheap, work well and the stock shock springs fit them (the ones they come with are a little stiff). With with my prime membership I get them in 2 days. They do not match much being red but they are much better than the stock shocks (function over form).

All the dromidas I have been bought used never more than $50. Some were rollers without electronics others were parts or repair (one or two parts damaged electronics not working). I only have one brushed and thats the rally car (awesome in the driveway).

I like the minis because the parts are cheap and like I said before they are great in smaller spaces. Also the 1/18 scale is easy to work on.

You can throw alot of money into a rc but bottom line is it worth it.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-16-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

I hear you. Picked mine up brand new for $50. Spent about $60 or less on the brushless setup. Just over $100 total setup everything new.

Brushed, its great for setting up ramps going down my hallway in to the living room during frezing weather. Brushless on the other hand....we shall see. Might be an outsider from here on out. Thinking about picking up a carisma 1/24 in the near future for another indoor racer!