R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default how long can a 2s2p 3100 handle 100 amps?

i have a 2s2p 3100 from you, maxamps,. the battery is about 1.8 years old and i dont think i used it during that period. this month i did a few gentle cycles on it with my duratrax ice (.5-1C charges and 1-2C discharges) to see what the pack was like and it was about 2900mah with avg 7.4v i think. after that i put it in my 1/12 with a 2.5 turn tekin rspro system and an eagle tree. the average current over about a 5 min run was 15 amps but there were several (about thirty) 60-90 amp spikes that lasted less than 1 second. there were about 5 times where voltage dropped below 6volts (5.88minimum). i just finished doing another gentle 1c charge 2c discharge cycle on it and it seems the pack only hold 2500mah now.

am i pushing the pack too hard or is it more easily damaged since it is older? will the current limiting feature on an RSpro be enough to protect the battery? any general thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

i can post my eagletree datalog file if you have the software to read it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Generally if a pack has sat that long it's pretty much shot. Packs need to be stored at 60% of their rated capacity and cycled once every 30 days to stay fresh.

Jason
www.NitroKillers.com www.MaxAmps.com Caster Driver
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Just wanted to chime in that this is not the case for every manufacturer as I've left "other" brands sitting for more than 6 months at a time fully charged and they lost less than .1 volts while providing excellent power still. Good to know for this brand though in case I come across one in the future.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
Just wanted to chime in that this is not the case for every manufacturer as I've left "other" brands sitting for more than 6 months at a time fully charged and they lost less than .1 volts while providing excellent power still. Good to know for this brand though in case I come across one in the future.
Just as a note it won't happen all the time smart guy. The storage at 60% is a suggestion from both us, Hyperion and some other companies to prevent packs from going bad. Preventive maintenance is always best.

Jason
Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Gen
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default cycleing

so whats best for lipo storage ,recharge and discharge 60 % once a month ??
Vp race fuel
Futaba 4pks
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Tech Master

We recommend storing at 60% of the packs rated capacity (Which is what the "Store Mode" is set to charge to in the Hyperion chargers) and this should be done if the packs are going to sit for a week or more. Then if in the "Store" state cycle the packs once every 3 weeks. Charge full, discharge to the Cut off point then charge back to 60%.

Jason
Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default storing

Good advice !! Just a question though, i have a new race edition 6500 2s 7.4v from you guys ... i only go out about 1x or 2x/month...should i still do this ?

Or should I charge it at storage rates, then charge it up full just b4 use, then put it back onto storage charge until next use ?

Does it need to be fully discharged after storage then fully recharged ?

Awesome pack by the way !! Totally worth the $ and MaxAmps cust service is the best by far !!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmakrc View Post
Good advice !! Just a question though, i have a new race edition 6500 2s 7.4v from you guys ... i only go out about 1x or 2x/month...should i still do this ?

Or should I charge it at storage rates, then charge it up full just b4 use, then put it back onto storage charge until next use ?

Does it need to be fully discharged after storage then fully recharged ?

Awesome pack by the way !! Totally worth the $ and MaxAmps cust service is the best by far !!

" Or should I charge it at storage rates, then charge it up full just b4 use, then put it back onto storage charge until next use ?"

That's the best thing to do in your case. No need to discharge Li-Po's at that point just charge and go.

Jason