Wiki Posts
Search

Maxamps saddle pack puffed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Maxamps saddle pack puffed

I have a Maxamps saddle pack that I bought used on an auction site and when I received it had low voltage, I was able to get a charge in it and it still works but one side of the saddle appears slightly puffed. The other side of the saddle seems ok but I was wondering if this pack can be salvaged and someone could use the good half for maybe a 1s pack or some other purpose.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

There's really not much you can do with it. You can't add a fresh side to it because the two side discharge rates would be way to different and you'd end up with a pack that would have severe balance issues. Your best bet and probably the safest thing to do would be to discharge it and toss the pack.
Give me shout on Monday at 1-888-654-4450 I'll see what we can do to get you into a new fresh saddle pack.

Jason
Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=JAM MaxAmps;7133851]There's really not much you can do with it. You can't add a fresh side to it because the two side discharge rates would be way to different and you'd end up with a pack that would have severe balance issues. Your best bet and probably the safest thing to do would be to discharge it and toss the pack.
Give me shout on Monday at 1-888-654-4450 I'll see what we can do to get you into a new fresh saddle pack.

Thanks, is it safe to just discharge and toss or should I drain and soak in salt water til 0 voltage left?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

the saltwater bath for a couple days is your best bet.Then you can just throw away
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Please let me give advice in our support section. As for the salt water bath it's a waste of time. Simply discharge the pack to less than a volt total. Use a 12 volt auto motive light bulb, nice easy low amp discharge. Let it go until the light goes out. Once at that point the battery and the chemicals inside are harmless. You can then at that point simply toss the pack in your regular trash.

Jason
Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Default I have the same problem!

I have a 7.4v saddle pack with the same problem. It is about 2 years old and the annoying thing is that it has always been well maintained in terms of keeping it charged etc but I have only used it about 30 times. Seems to run ok at the moment but I fear that it is on it's way out.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
Please let me give advice in our support section. As for the salt water bath it's a waste of time. Simply discharge the pack to less than a volt total. Use a 12 volt auto motive light bulb, nice easy low amp discharge. Let it go until the light goes out. Once at that point the battery and the chemicals inside are harmless. You can then at that point simply toss the pack in your regular trash.

Jason
Thanks, I like this plan better anyway.