Older Maxamps packs

Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Older Maxamps packs

First off, awesome packs! Mine were sitting for 6 months untouched and didn't drop any voltage. I wish they had a little bit actually because against Maxamps advice I had charged them to 100% instead of 60%. I plugged it into my Mamba after testing it on the charger(which warned it was over voltage) and it still had tire shredding power. I do have 2 questions though.

1. Do you think the cells suffered from the way I stored them?

2. I bought my 2s 6000mah about 18 months ago and my 6000mah 3s about 12 months ago. At that time Maxamps didn't give any C ratings. I know on at least some of the packs they now show that. Market pressure I'm sure. I'm wondering if the ones that are as old as mine have as much punch as the ones coming out now. I've rarely used mine so I'm not speaking in cycles, but in technology. For instance if I'm running in a spec class with a guy using a new 60C pack will I have a disadvantage because of technological advances or is the punch going to be similar? What would the C rating have been if they had used it then? I know it's irrelevant, but I'm curious. thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB View Post
First off, awesome packs! Mine were sitting for 6 months untouched and didn't drop any voltage. I wish they had a little bit actually because against Maxamps advice I had charged them to 100% instead of 60%. I plugged it into my Mamba after testing it on the charger(which warned it was over voltage) and it still had tire shredding power. I do have 2 questions though.

1. Do you think the cells suffered from the way I stored them?

2. I bought my 2s 6000mah about 18 months ago and my 6000mah 3s about 12 months ago. At that time Maxamps didn't give any C ratings. I know on at least some of the packs they now show that. Market pressure I'm sure. I'm wondering if the ones that are as old as mine have as much punch as the ones coming out now. I've rarely used mine so I'm not speaking in cycles, but in technology. For instance if I'm running in a spec class with a guy using a new 60C pack will I have a disadvantage because of technological advances or is the punch going to be similar? What would the C rating have been if they had used it then? I know it's irrelevant, but I'm curious. thanks!
Our old 6000 as listed on the site when we had them were 20C cells. And they have been discontinued for well over a year now. As for storing them at full capacity the lower C rated packs are less likely to suffer damage like the new higher C cells. You will see a difference in performance from a 20C cell compared to a 30C cell which is what our 6500 is built with. The 60C rating on the pack is the burst rate.

Jason
Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

For anyone who cares, I ran this pack for a solid 25 minutes in a stock Slash and it performed very well. As far as punch, it was plenty!(I was running a hard packed oval) What is the best way to judge the condition of a pack? After all that sitting it ran great. I then hooked it to my charger to check voltage(because i didn't have a cut-off). It read 7.1 or so volts. That seems pretty good to me after 25 minutes of hard running. It then took about a 45 minute charge to get it to 8.3 or so volts and input 4800mah. The Hyperion charger read 1.20 amps or so when I shut it off. I didn't want to abuse the pack any more than I have already. I used the pack very little before now. Judging by this info, how good of shape do you think this pack is in? I'm getting back into racing and just curious. I will stay Maxamps loyal so no need to deceive. Thanks for all your help!!