Balancer taps question...

Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Balancer taps question...

Hey guys, I got this/or this LIPO. It works great, and have no problems with it. I balance it with an Equinox, and as such I assume the balancing leads are wired like an Electrifly battery since it balances with the Equinox just fine. Thing works great, great runtime and punch for what I use it for. I'm a basher, and if I were to race, it's between friends and purely fun.

I will eventually buy myself one of these. The Maxamps will become my "main" battery and my Reedy my backup. So my question is this.

What balancing taps are the ones on my Reedy? From the looks of it, it seems like the Align/JST-HX balancing taps, but I'm not sure. Main reason I am asking is that I read up on the lack of universal balancing taps within the LIPO battery industry and because I want to make sure my Equinox is able to balance my Maxamps LIPO cause, well, I want it to last a while.

So yeah, are those Align/JST-HX balancing taps on my Reedy? Also, I'm sure it's not that difficult to wire the taps like the Equinox needs them to be, but can that be done from the webpage if I order one of those batteries?

Last edited by Cheeze It; 01-30-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cheeze It
Hey guys, I got this/or this LIPO. It works great, and have no problems with it. I balance it with an Equinox, and as such I assume the balancing leads are wired like an Electrifly battery since it balances with the Equinox just fine. Thing works great, great runtime and punch for what I use it for. I'm a basher, and if I were to race, it's between friends and purely fun.

I will eventually buy myself one of these. The Maxamps will become my "main" battery and my Reedy my backup. So my question is this.

What balancing taps are the ones on my Reedy? From the looks of it, it seems like the Align/JST-HX balancing taps, but I'm not sure. Main reason I am asking is that I read up on the lack of universal balancing taps within the LIPO battery industry and because I want to make sure my Equinox is able to balance my Maxamps LIPO cause, well, I want it to last a while.

So yeah, are those Align/JST-HX balancing taps on my Reedy? Also, I'm sure it's not that difficult to wire the taps like the Equinox needs them to be, but can that be done from the webpage if I order one of those batteries?

Yes Reedy uses align balance taps and yes you can order you MaxAmps.com pack with the Align taps right from the website. Just select the Align tap in the drop down menu.

Jason
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Alrighty, well I hope that the polarity is the same and thus it allows for balancing without an adapter.

I do have another question in regards to charging the LIPO.

I got an Onyx 230. Great charger, works as it should. Now, my Reedy is a 2s1p battery. The Maxamps 6500MAH is a 3s2p. Does that change the charge characteristics? Or does charging a parallel LIPO no different than a non-parallel LIPO? Since 3 groups of 2 cells are wired parallel does that mean that the current will get split among the parallel cells equally? Does this also mean that just for safety sake I should balance AFTER the charge to make sure all 6 cells are balanced correctly?

I just want to know if having 3s2p LIPO going to make charging it more difficult since balancing isn't as straight forward as it would be for a 2s1p or 3s1p. Or would it be wired to have a 6 cell balancing plug...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cheeze It
Alrighty, well I hope that the polarity is the same and thus it allows for balancing without an adapter.

I do have another question in regards to charging the LIPO.

I got an Onyx 230. Great charger, works as it should. Now, my Reedy is a 2s1p battery. The Maxamps 6500MAH is a 3s2p. Does that change the charge characteristics? Or does charging a parallel LIPO no different than a non-parallel LIPO? Since 3 groups of 2 cells are wired parallel does that mean that the current will get split among the parallel cells equally? Does this also mean that just for safety sake I should balance AFTER the charge to make sure all 6 cells are balanced correctly?

I just want to know if having 3s2p LIPO going to make charging it more difficult since balancing isn't as straight forward as it would be for a 2s1p or 3s1p. Or would it be wired to have a 6 cell balancing plug...

There will be no polarity issues to worry about. As for a 2S2P pack compared to a 2S pack they are both 2S packs. Nothing different needs to be done when charging. A 3S and a 3S2P pack are the same they get charged as 3S 11.1 volt 3S packs. You should always charge and balance at the same time. Trying to balance all 6 cells in that case doesn't work the cells are hooked into a group making them one cell. They act as one. You cannot balance each individual cell in a 2S2P or a 3S2P pack.

Jason