Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum
6000 mah 7.4v saddle pack issue. >

6000 mah 7.4v saddle pack issue.

6000 mah 7.4v saddle pack issue.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 6000 mah 7.4v saddle pack issue.

I seem to be having a problem with my saddle pack. I am using a hyperion charger. when the the battery is on charge it stops charging after a couple of minutes. The menu shows that cell 2 voltage is too high? I have only charged the battery 20 - 30 times and have connected the balancer tabs every time?

Will balancing the pack without charging help? visibly the battery looks fine and is not swollen.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Which Hyperion charger do you have? Also one thing to do is to use an electrical contact cleaner and clean the balance tap connectors and the main plugs as well. The balancers are very sensitive and if the connections get dirty it will trigger false alarms. Also you can verify the cell voltages with a volt meter if you have one? Read the red wire and the first black wire in the balance tap that is cell one. Then read the first black as positive and the last black as negative that is cell number two. What are those readings with the volt meter? If you have an EOS0606i AC/DC charger you cannot use the balancer in standalone mode. only the NET and DUO's will do that. All you can do if you do have a high cell is discharge the pack back to the LVC point and charge it again with the balancer hooked up. Try these things and let me know what happens.

Jason
Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

I have the 06060i Net, I was just online with Jake using your live online customer support. I am balancing the pack now and will charge it once the solo balance is done. Cell 1 was at 3.79 v and cell 2 @ 4.12 v. I am not sure why it happened as I balance the pack with each charge. I will check and clean the balancing tabs. Hopefully that should take care of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Yes if you have the 0610i NET then you can just balance the pack. Then recharge. See what happens and let me know. But don't use the charger as a volt meter in a case like this. If you have a dirty connection it could give false readings.

Jason
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

After cleaning the balance tabs, balancing and charging, all seemed fine cell one was at 4.19 v and cell 2 @4.20v. I used the pack for racing on saturday and did not charge the pack between races. That's the beauty of a 6000mah pack. 3x 6 min qualifiers and an 8min main are doable.

Balanced and charged the pack today. At the beginning of the charge there was a 0.11v difference between cells and now it is charged and balanced it is back to a 0.01v difference. I will keep an eye on the pack for the next couple of races but for now all seems good again.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Hey good to hear. I keep a can of spray on contact cleaner in my pit box. I usually spray the connections both main and balance taps a few times during a race day.It really helps to keep things in tip top shape.

Jason
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Contact cleaner now resides in pitbox

On a different subject. Do you have a program to support and sell thru tracks and hobby shops or is it pretty much via direct online sales. The track that I am racing at are looking at which lipo mfr's to distribute at the moment and I was going to throw your name in the hat.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

We do have Whole Sale accounts. What state are you in? I can then direct you to the correct contact person.

Jason
Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

connecticut
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Have them contact [email protected] or call the shop at 1-888-654-4450 then ask for Josh.

Best regards,

Jason