Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum
Method balancer balance but no charge >

Method balancer balance but no charge

Method balancer balance but no charge

Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Method balancer balance but no charge

Looking for some help with a balancer issue, I appreciate the support.

I purchased a method balancer in May 2008 to use with my Triton2 and 2S/3S/4S lipos. It has worked great until last night when balancer will continue to balance but not allow the charger to charge the batteries, each time I attempt a charge it will simply end it thinking they are full. If I pull the balancer out and charge directly then hookup the balancer after the fact it will still balance packs.

I replaced the fuse in case that was causing the problem but it didn't change the behavior.

Is there something else that can be done to get it going? Does the method balancer have any sort of warranty?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

What type of battery connector did you replace the alligator clips with on the out put side?? Some times a dirty or loose connection can cause this issue. Deans Ultras can become loose, Dirty and not make a good connection.

Jason
Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
What type of battery connector did you replace the alligator clips with on the out put side?? Some times a dirty or loose connection can cause this issue. Deans Ultras can become loose, Dirty and not make a good connection.

Jason
Hi Jason..

I replaced them with female 4mm bullets, I resoldered the connection and it's real solid.

As a test I used a battery until my LVC kicked it and tried again, it managed to charge at .1A for about 3 minutes before it ended this time.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

So you use 4mm plugs on your batteries? Balance tap is plugged in as well as the main battery leads and still nothing?

Jason
Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
So you use 4mm plugs on your batteries? Balance tap is plugged in as well as the main battery leads and still nothing?

Jason
Thanks for getting back

I primarily use TRX connectors but have EC-5 as well so I did it for some flexibility, I just plug in the appropriate charge lead depending on what I'm doing. I use these same leads with the charger itself and can say they are good since I have been charging without the balancer since this happened.

Due to how straightforward it is I expect some circuitry failed, I didn't see anything in the Word doc so I don't expect there is any implied warranty with the product?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

The problem sounds like a resistance issue that's why I asked about the connectors. Try cleaning them all. If that doesn't work then the unit may be bad. The warranty on them is only 30 days. With it being an electrical device there are many things that could possibly go wrong with it internally. I know they are very durable I have one of the first ones ever and it still works great. I've never had an issue with it.

Jason