Cold Weather Battery Hints

Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cold Weather Battery Hints

Are there any special procedures I should know about when running my MaxAmp batterys outside when the temps are 20 to 40* ?????

I have heard not to fully charge a Lipo in cold weather (what constitutes cold?) and wrapping the battery up to keep as warm as possible... also heating pads....

Any comments you have would certainly be much appreciated.

In closing.... I have purchased 6 lipos, a Hyperion Duo Charger and P/S and have 99% praise for MaxAmps Customer Service. Thanks Guys !!!!

Steve
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1
Thats a very good question
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Well pretty simple guys. Always start with a full pack. And always a room temp or warmer. If you use a heating pad I would suggest, and this is only a suggestion. Warm the pack into the 80 degree range and no more than 100 degrees. Pack loose capacity in the cold. The colder it is the more they loose. A good example is I have a plane that flies on a 3S 1550. I can fly it for 12 to 15 minutes in the summer. Now in the cold I can get 5 to 6 minutes on a room temp pack at 25 to 30 degrees.

Jason
Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jason.. Your comments mirrored about what I experienced last Sunday.... I used a heating pad on the lowest setting in 40 degree weather. Did not take temperature of the batterys... so I don't know how warm they were. I would guess they were below 80.

Looks like I'll have to bring the Nitro out for cold weather running.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Your very welcome.

Best Regards,

Jason