Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum
Maxamps 4S 6000mah Lipo, balancing question >

Maxamps 4S 6000mah Lipo, balancing question

Maxamps 4S 6000mah Lipo, balancing question

Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
What they say at that link is totally wrong and should not be listened to by anyone. A pack and any brand at that can go out of balance after one use. And as I stated above the balancer will also protect the pack from being over charged. I'm sorry but if you want to follow what Orion is saying, then have at it but expect to be buying a lot of packs because they won't last. Oh yeah and I would always charge them out side away from anyone or thing because without them being monitored by a balancer it will only be a matter of time before you have an issue. We want your packs from us to last that's why we will continually give you the correct info. Misleading people to sell more packs is wrong.

Jason
Well I've been using Lipos for a little while now. Orion 4800's & now a couple of MaxAmps saddles. I haven't bought a balancer for the saddles yet, they only have a couple of cycles on them. My (2) 4800 Orions have about 20-25 cycles on them. I routinely check the individual cell voltages w/ a voltmeter using the method I posted above ( http://www.teamorion.com/faq/Balancing+LiPo ) Every time, the cells are perfectly balanced, I mean the EXACT same voltage on each cell. So that tells me that it isn't "totally wrong & shouldn't be listened to by anyone" as Jason stated. I have a couple of questions:
-Are MaxAmps packs more likely to become unbalanced?
-If so, then why?
-Can you check the individual cell voltages of MaxAmps packs? (with a volt meter)
-If not, then why not?
I really like the single balance port of the Orion hard case lipos (& others). First, there are no extra wires hanging around. And they claim, using a simple adapter (which would cost pennies to make) You can charge each cell individually, which in turn balances the cells. (I haven't had to do this yet) And last but not least, I don't need a balancer. I know balancers are relatively inexpensive & easy to use. But why not have a single balance port on MaxAmps packs? Pros, cons?
I am really happy with my maxamps packs so far. I have just read a few posts from Maxamps employees, stating that other companies are wrong about how they recommend packs should be balanced. I think my packs prove otherwise.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Please keep in mind that just because your packs have worked flawlessly so far, doens't mean that a balancing issue with your orions can't happen.

The thing that I would be worried about especially if you are not balance charging your packs is that lets say for some reason you forget to check for balance. You hook it up to your charger and they were out of balance? No you get into some serious possible issues with your packs.

To me, I would rather error on the safe side and always balance my packs.

I do agree though its pretty convinient the setup that orion and trakpower use for hooking in balancing equipment, and who knows, maybe maxamps will make there own.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Well since Orions, Trakpower, etc are already ROAR approved, & MaxAmps are not, there must be some truth in what Orion states, right? I don't check the cells everytime I charge (probably should) Usually at the end of a race day, after recharging & storing. But so far I am pretty confident in these cells, like I said the balance is perfect. I know of at least one guy who has probably a dozen Orion's (hobby shop owner) he brings to the track & I know he doesn't balance them. So far so good for him, maybe lucky? Cain can you check the individual cell voltage of your maxamps packs somehow?

Last edited by beast95451; 02-20-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

DoUbLe PoSt
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Legend

Where did you see that trakpower is approved?? Very curious as I have been waiting on this info.

Main thing that could be holding up maxamps is the issue with the casing, not anyting I think concerning balancing, not needing balancing, etc.

I think it is possible to check each voltage depending on how your check each pin in the hyperion harness. You could rig up another harness wit exposed wires and connect direct to those to check.

With the hyperion line of chargers though I believe it is possible that the charger will display each cell voltage individually if I recall correctly.

I think the thing to keep in mind about the Orion packs is that they do state how to balance them and when they should be balanced. if it was never an issue, there wouldn't be a need to state this info.

Its not a knock on Orion packs mind you, I think they are great stuff, excellent packs, just that the idea that they never need to be balanced isn't necessarily true and can have bad reprecussions that time that they needed it, and didn't get it.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
Where did you see that trakpower is approved?? Very curious as I have been waiting on this info.
Go to Trakpower.com, products, click on a pack, in the description it says
Meets and exceeds ROAR & BRCA/EFRA Sanctioning requirements
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Legend

Ah ok. That makes sense then. Its not officially approved by ROAR, but had the testing that trakpower did similar to what ROAR is doing and met all the expectations they require. Should only be a matter of time then.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beast95451
Go to Trakpower.com, products, click on a pack, in the description it says
Meets and exceeds ROAR & BRCA/EFRA Sanctioning requirements
They might but that doesn't mean there ROAR approved. But under the current ROAR spec's for Lipos they have a far better chance then MaxAmps current configuration.

Here are the currently approved Lipos as of 2/19/2008

ROAR Approved Lithium Technology Batteries List

All currently approved Lithium Technology batteries are included in the table below
TYPE DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER APPROVAL DATE
Li - Poly Orion 3600 Race Spec ORI 14005 2/6/2008
Li - Poly Orion Carbon Edition 3200 ORI 14001 2/6/2008
Li - Poly Orion Platinum Edition 4800 ORI 14000 2/6/2008
Li - Poly Hobbico Team Checkpoint 5400 TCPC3656 2/4/2008
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks X-God. I'm sure TrakPower will be on the list soon.

HEY RCTECH....HOW ABOUT GETTING THIS F*&%$#G FORUM FIXED!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I just answered my own question. Yes you can check voltage of each cell in a MaxAmps pack. 1st cell- Voltmeter red to battery red, voltmeter black to white wire on balance tap. 2nd cell- Voltmeter black to battery black, voltmeter red to white wire on balance tap. So far both of my saddles are still perfectly balanced.