hard case for maxamps lipo?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default hard case for maxamps lipo?

Hi,
I own 3 lipo packs of 2S 5000mah,whose perform great in touring and offroad 1/10 aplications.
My question is,are you considering making or selling an hard case for those packs?
Im asking this because of rumors seems only lipos with hard case will be allowed at official competions,at least in Europe, and I will be more than happy to use my Maxamps packs.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

A couple of companies are really pushing the fact that their packs are somehow “certified” for being shipped via air while other lipos on the market are not. They have been talking with different industry leaders to only allow “hard plastic cases” on certain tracks on the grounds that they are somehow “safer”. The facts are, as we all know, hard cases are not safer. A 1/2mm piece of plastic is not going to stop a flaming lipo. They use the IATA logo in their ads as a “scare tactic”.

There is no such thing as a “certification” from the IATA. We did the research to find out what that was all about and here is what we found and what we posted on a blog regarding this issue in our own words.

The FAA determines if a package is safe to ship. It does not determine if a product is build safely. It would clasify all "lithium" batteries exactly the same. They are concerned about how they are packaged, what markings go with the packaging, and how much lithium is actually in each box that is shipped. They do not look at how they are "built". These two companies using this to market their packs as somehow "different" is crazy. Here is the info from the IATA website: "The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) guide is the trusted source to help you classify, mark, pack, label and document dangerous shipments, based on international and national air regulations as well as airline-specific requirements."

The benefits of not having a hard case are as follows:

• Less heat build up within the pack
• You can see what’s happening in the pack. If a cell shorts out, you will know it. If a cell puffs, you will know it
• More capacity in the same space. Our 6000mah pack is the same dimensions and weight as their 4800mah pack.
• Less resistance- We have 1 connector between the pack and the speed control. They have 2.

So in short no you won't see us trying to scare people into buying our products. No hard cases for us.

Jason

Jason
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you are completely right,Jason.100% right indeed
I think hard cases are useless and dead weight.
but my problem is if they insist and only allow hardcases in official events,which leaves us,maxamp users,out.
So I wonder if theres a third party or maxamps,who makes such cases to drop our max lipos in.Just in case.
Some big brands such smc and nosram are releasing caseless lipos,maybe this hardcase thing is only a false rumour,to force us buying their lipos
Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

dont mean to go off topic but when the soft casing starts to wear out and tear can we send it back to you for replacing of the wraping
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

what about resin dipping? as a thin hard "case" just to aid against puncture in 1/8 monsters and other applications?

matt
Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

I haven't heard of any after market add on cases yet and I'd be surprised if they did because it all comes down to fit. With all of the diferent types of chassis out there this creates problems.

i730 you can purchase the heat shrink from us just go here and pick which you need http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=71 . Price is per foot just call our 1-888-654-4450 number and ask what size you need for your pack. Order it and then use your mom's hair dryer to shrink on the new stuff.

Resin dipping will hold heat in and I really wounldn't want to be around if a cell went bad while in a resin coating. Chances are that it would be worse that a thin plastic case that at least has seems to burst. The resin coating will probabaly have a more violent bursting point. Kind of like popping a balloon.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by afonsospt
you are completely right,Jason.100% right indeed
Maybe this hardcase thing is only a false rumour,to force us buying their lipos
DING DING DING.............you hit it right on the head! Play off of the consumers fears and they'll have to buy our packs. Scare the race directors into believing the same thing and they'll make sure that only our packs can be used. Kinda of the "microsloft" of the battery market.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps
DING DING DING.............you hit it right on the head! Play off of the consumers fears and they'll have to buy our packs. Scare the race directors into believing the same thing and they'll make sure that only our packs can be used. Kinda of the "microsloft" of the battery market.
It does seem that hard cases add a false since of security thats for sure. On the other side if offered it just is one more way to get your product on the market. It does seem that non of the plane version lipos are hard cased that I know of. It seems be a car thing.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

We were the first ones to sell Li-Po's for car use. The others just needed a gimik to get into the market. The sad choice was to do it they played off of everyones fears to get in it. I've been flying planes since Li-Po's hit the market. Never have I had a pack go balistic. I' ve crashed em' into the pavement, had them come loose and hit props cutting them open and denting them. I even put one threw a chain link fence at full throttle. Not even a single flame. Look what I'm trying to say is that you are more likely to have a crash with an RC plane that would result in severe battery damage and trust me we do. But now take your car racing in a circle on carpet. What you spin out or hit a wall, no big deal. I wish you guys could have seen the beating the Traxxas guys threw down on thier VXL cars at I -Hobby. They all had our packs in them and 20 ft. high jumps and landing so hard on the cement that the suspension would fail never stopped or damaged one of our packs. The only thing you need to fear is the Company that plays off of your fears. We want you to know the truth and thats why we see no need to make our product into a grenade. Hmm maybe they just don't want you to see what exactly is in those hard cases. Who knows they could be using some shoddy cells? Just sealing them up so you can't see who's they are. Ya' never know.

Jason
Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Cool thing is the shop I help out at just ordered some packs today. Better yet my 6000mah 2c lipos for my touring car. I will get some pics of them in my car when they arrive.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I think there is a good reason for hard cases. If the battery escapes the car in a crash or another car strikes the side of another car with a side mounted battery then a cell or cells could be crimped without protection. Fire or no fire that battery is done, correct?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Not correct. I have had packs fall from planes, get hit by props when they've come loose, smack the ground and pavement in crashes. Packs have been dented, bent and wrinkled. And I still use em'. What I'm trying to say is that it would take a severe blow to cause and issue. And I don't think what you have stated is gonna be severe enough. If they survive a crash at 60 plus MPH from 100 ft. up then a rc car crash is gonna be a breeze cause unless you plan on dropping the car off a 5 story building it just ain't gonna be enough.

Jason
Old 11-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

HMM, Jumping a car off a five story building that could be fun.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

From what I understand using a dented, wrinkled or crimped lipo (especially on the edges of a cell) presents a big risk of internal shorting. Does Maxamps recomend continuing to use damaged cells?

BTW, I am a lipo advocate. I am not trying to challenge lipo usage at all. I don't believe that hard cases play off consumer's fears, I believe they ease buisness owner's fears of fire and liability.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

I'm not telling anyone what to do or how to do it, I'm just stating what I have experienced. And if you have a dented pack or wrinkled pack and the cell voltages are still fine with out any pack puffing during use or charging then it should be fine to use if monitored properly. People are fre to do what they want and to buy what they want. But if you think a thin mm layer of a plastic case is better than the millions of shrink wrapped ones out there, then keep buying those. Because you won't see us putting ours in a case.

Jason

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.