hard case for maxamps lipo?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default We have you covered

Hi Guys,

Austin here with MaxAmps. The good news is we have this hard cover issue taken care of. We have a clear, detachable hard plastic skin that will be available in the next few days for all our packs. It will be available as either a detachable skin or shrunk into the pack. You will be able to run your MaxAmps packs anywhere. These skins will also be available for the new B44 saddle packs also. Stay tuned to the site for more details...

-Austin
CEO MaxAmps.com
Old 01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

thanks austin. that is very interesting to know. I might pick up one of the new saddle packs after all. really didn't want to replace my 5500mah pack since I just got it a little over a month ago, but a better fitting pack with a hard case might might get some more $$$ from me.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez;4041938 - ROAR PRESIDENT

Chris & Alex - Basically, these are the rules for the Cactus and bringing in LiPo and BL to all Classes. Its new and its going to be different. I am sorry you don't have saddle packs in LiPo right now but they are being produced as I'm told (I have this ROAR job.. )

Sean has put a lot of research into the event and what we are trying to do for the Future of Racing. We are trying to ensure product availability is NOW for our racers for this event......

We are trying to follow as much of ROAR rules as we can and where ROAR is going with the LiPo rules.... and Hard Cases will be in the Rules... with charging sacks.

Check with MaxAmps... Austin told me yesterday they have 'skins' available in a few days which are removable, clear Hard Cases. I haven't seen them but I assume they will meet the needs.

Just sharing a post from ROAR President Dawn Sanchez... She and her husband Sean (who also runs The Cactus Classic at SRS) are showing a lot foresight for those of us who love EP Racing. Kudos to both of them!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

will the skin kits be roar legal?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Yes, I believe so. Max Amps has been doing alot of talking with ROAR to make sure everything their doing will be within the ROAR guidlines.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

well if they are legal will they need the full skin (2 skins) or just 1 skin?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm only using the new Maxamps skins at the two race tracks in my area that think they are needed. At the other couple of tracks-the skins will stay at home. Thanks for the info Jason and HD. I hope to recieve my new 6000, with detachable skins, this week. I'm excited.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Very curious about how many skins are needed as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
Very curious about how many skins are needed as well.
I believe only one.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you need 2 skins to cover the battery on both sides. Also to be ROAR legal.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Legend

With the two skin setup, how much wider is it then?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

pack size will only gain 1mm to 1/2mm all the way around.

Jason
Old 01-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by linger
In the lithium ion/lithium polymer battery industry – the severe battery failures and battery fires are very well characterized. There are a lot of companies that make a living from failure analysis of batteries. I pick their brains on a regular basis and I get to plagiarize what they have taught me. All severe lithium ion/polymer cell failures can be attributed to one of the follow root causes:

1. External Thermal Damage
2. Overcharge
3. Over-discharge
4. External Short Circuit
5. Internal Short Circuit
6. External Mechanical Damage

Originally Posted by linger
6. EXTERNAL MECHANICAL DAMAGE - it doesn’t matter if you have the highest quality cells in the whole world if you dent your pack. In order to understand how mechanical damage affects a lithium polymer battery – you need to understand how they are mechanically built. A lipo battery is made up of 20-30 layers of a very thin sheet copper anode, a thin plastic separator and a thin aluminum cathode. A dent will can create a microshort by making the stiff metal anode or cathode poke through the soft plastic separator. As I mentioned above – this microshort will create an area of localized heat. If you are lucky – the cell will puff up. If you are unlucky – you will have a fire hazard. Another repercussion of a dent is that some layers of the cell will become delaminated and thus inactive. This means that the working layers will need to work harder to provide current and thus generate more heat in a localized area. I’ve been a huge proponent of hard cases to protect the physical integrity of lipo cells. In my professional opinion, a hard case for RC cells should be mandatory. I cannot believe that there is at least one lipo battery distributor that is spreading propaganda that hard cases for lipos are not good. In my opinion, this is absolutely irresponsible. Toshiba had a recall on laptop batteries when they found out it would not withstand a drop test. The soft-shelled lipos don’t stand a chance in a drop test.

I’ve seen many postings on how XXX user has a soft shell pack that’s been ejected from the car and run over by another car and there was no fire and therefore hardshells are not required. Great – lucky you! Most of the time nothing will happen – but you don’t want to be around when that 1% of the time when something bad does happen. I’m surrounded by thousands of lipos everyday, but I wouldn’t pit next to a racer running a soft cased lipo.

What can you do? If you are a track owner/operator – insist on hard cased lipos. As a governing body like ROAR – start specifying rules for the hard case. For example, the hard case needs to have a seam so that in case the cell expands, the case will pop open so that the cells do no build up any more pressure. In my opinion – Orion did a fabulous job designing the case (except that they flopped the + and – going from the 4800 to the 3200 battery) and I hope others copy it.

Above is some info posted by Ling Tong (who ROAR consulted with to come up with the lipo rules). From what I understand aside from being an R/C enthusiast, he works in the medical field with all kinds of batteries for various applications.... which means he truly knows his stuff. Here is a link with more details on lipo that he has posted on rctech:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182219
Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Legend

I read this post as well.

I look forward to seeing a response from Maxamps concerning his statements as it would go a long way to see what there thinking on the matter is.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

I just got my 5000 and 6000 from MaxAmps with the hard case shrunk on and I love them.
Thanks guy's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.