hard case for maxamps lipo?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The question is: Is a dented, crimped, bent cell 100% safe or isn't it? If some kid burns down his parent's house with a MaxAmps battery the answer to that question and your answers before then (on this forum for instance) could decide who pays for that house.

As a battery supplier that chooses not to cover your batteries with some kind of redundant safety you must tell your customers what to do and how to do it.

It might be a moot point. Trinity is releasing a hard case LiPo and if past history is any indication then it's a safe bet that it will be something of a model for ROAR Lipo approval.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

No one can answer that. That's why I said that it is important to monitor the pack after a crash. Check cell voltage, pack voltage and watch the pack for signs of puffing. If you feel its to dangerous then get rid of it. It's up to the user not us. Look all I know is that we won't be doing hard cased packs and that's it. If you like em that way that's fine you go buy em'. I'm not arguing about this anymore. We cannot be blamed for something that we cannot control.

Jason
Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

TO be honest who cares what Trinity and ROAR do...........Reason being is racing is such a small part of the R/C industry it don't matter. If we sell 100 kits at are shop only 5% at best ever hit a race track. Racing is such a non factor. Look at what Losi and Associated and others are doing by making RTR cars instead of full blown racers. RTR's make them more money.

With planes, helis, and rtr stuff it don't matter because racing is going down hill. Been racing 24 years and it is far from growing.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
TO be honest who cares what Trinity and ROAR do...........Reason being is racing is such a small part of the R/C industry it don't matter. If we sell 100 kits at are shop only 5% at best ever hit a race track. Racing is such a non factor. Look at what Losi and Associated and others are doing by making RTR cars instead of full blown racers. RTR's make them more money.

With planes, helis, and rtr stuff it don't matter because racing is going down hill. Been racing 24 years and it is far from growing.

I agree with this accept for the fact if roar does make them legal its going to really suck to have to buy another brand of battery just to race in a roar event.
I would like the ability to race in the event with out having to change the battery manuf. that I'm using. I really like Jason and Max Amps but this could cause problems for the devoted Max Amp user when he wants to run a Roar event. It would be nice to see a hard pack for that instance or at least the an optional add on hard pack.
I dont have the answer but there has to be a compramise somewhere.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi guys, I can see where this is a really good area of intrest. I have seen where people are actually cutting carbon fiber and making a holder for their li-po packs, where the pack still sits on the battery tray and the carbon fibre has 1/2" to 3/4" standoffs that makes kinda a guard around the pack. Kinda on the same line of radio trays in nitro. You just sit the pack in the rectangle cut-out and tape it in. I think this would be more than adequate in the event of a side impact or any other crash all together and the extra weight shouldn't be a issue at all because li-pos are notoriously light anyway. Most of the people who use them, even the ones with the hard case , have weights stuck all over them to balance the car anyway. My touring oval car will have this feature and as soon as I'm done with it I will post pics. I'm sure that a crafty as most of you are at home you could come up with something similar to put on your cars as well, a guard rail per say, to protect against a side impact wich would really be the biggest threat to damage a battery.

Heath Mahar
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

I think that sounds like a great Idea, would be nice to see roar go for that. I my self am not real worried about the soft packs I would just like to be able to run Max Amp lipo's at a roar event when they legalize them.
Pics of that when you get it done would be nice.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI BOY-MF2
I think that sounds like a great Idea, would be nice to see roar go for that. I my self am not real worried about the soft packs I would just like to be able to run Max Amp lipo's at a roar event when they legalize them.
Pics of that when you get it done would be nice.
Thanks
Yes I to would like to run Max Amps stuff all the time since are shop is a dealer. ROAR is just a guideline IMO as they don't carry the weight they use to. Another reason if you vote in good ROAR leaders this kind of stuff won't happen as facts not fiction about hard cased vs soft cased packs should previal and all 2C lipos up to a certain MAH should be allowed.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wyd
Yes I to would like to run Max Amps stuff all the time since are shop is a dealer. ROAR is just a guideline IMO as they don't carry the weight they use to. Another reason if you vote in good ROAR leaders this kind of stuff won't happen as facts not fiction about hard cased vs soft cased packs should previal and all 2C lipos up to a certain MAH should be allowed.
I agree completly.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, here it is using very common stuff.

If that don't protect the pack after you tape it in then you were just destin to have a pack blow up on ya. Anyone can make this. Match drill the holes in the rail and battery tray. Counter sink the battery tray. The standoffs are RPM ball cups with the cups cut off and trued up with a razor knife. Coarse thread screws of your choice to complete the install. The addition is very rigid. Let me know what you think.

Heath Mahar
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Oh yea BTW, While I was in Georgia this weekend a fellow racer using a Orion li-po was charging it using a Ice charger. When he hit the charge button he also hit the outer ring which changed his charge mode to NI-MH which of course destroyed the battery. The moral of this story is that he had the battery in his car with the battery strap on and the only way he could tell was he just happened to look at the charger that at this point was showing 9.4 volts and he knew something was wrong. As soon as he took the battery strap off the battery case came apart tearing loose the thin carbon fibre tape that seems to hold the thing together. So whats more dangerous, I would say Having a batter blow inside a case that is firmly secured with a carbon fiber battery strap would have caused some serious damage. Taped in with a soft case I think you would have noticed the puff in the battery and known something right away. This could happen to anyone running any battery but I think we as a consumer involving our safety and the safety of others should have a choice in how we want our packs. Hard case or soft should be up to the consumer to decide, not decided for us.

Heath Mahar
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HD-F1

If that don't protect the pack after you tape it in then you were just destin to have a pack blow up on ya. Anyone can make this. Match drill the holes in the rail and battery tray. Counter sink the battery tray. The standoffs are RPM ball cups with the cups cut off and trued up with a razor knife. Coarse thread screws of your choice to complete the install. The addition is very rigid. Let me know what you think.

Heath Mahar
What car is that? did u DIY and cut the CF parts yourself? looks darn good...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HD-F1

Heath Mahar
Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

honestly, I would never say never. Just look at AE and the whole 4wd buggy thing. There answers further along the years changed till now we have a 4wd buggy from them.

Or, look at trinity and the whole brushless thing.

I would say that if a large segment of the hobby required a case for the lipos, and that was where money was to be made, I would not be shocked to see maxamps with a hard cased lipo, regardless if it is stupid or not.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by doriftu
Its a corally assassin with a Hyperdrive oval conversion chassis. Its the car I'm takin to the Snowbirds this year. I cut the rail out of a old chassis I had around. Thanks for the props on the car.

Heath
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Well it looks like ROAR is going to legalise lipo SOON but it also looks like it will be hard case only.
I dont agree with that but it looks like thats going to be the case. I also want to state that I'm a big max amps fan but if I cant run there batts at a roar event that just leaves me buying somewhere else. I think the adjustment made to the car above is cool but not going to be roar legal. I like the soft packs and dont have a problem with them but I need a hard pack so I can run the roar events and want to buy from max amps. This sucks.
Will there ever be a chance of a hard pack if roar goes this way?I hope so. I know its stupid but we have to follow the rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.