Indoor On Road GT12

Old 02-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Toe out will make the car more stable on the straights and normally give less turn in. Toe in will make it more twitchy and increase initial turn in. I'd compare his Ackermann and camber to your car's. Decreasing the front droop should limit the bump steer too.

No Oshberg for me either.
I think you got it reversed, always thought that toe out caused it to wander, and toe in more stable, we were always taught to have just a smidge of toe in. Also the toe out gives the inside wheel more turn in right?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 200 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cgolf View Post
I think you got it reversed, always thought that toe out caused it to wander, and toe in more stable, we were always taught to have just a smidge of toe in. Also the toe out gives the inside wheel more turn in right?
I had quite a bit of toe in on my car sunday and it was very unsettled. An absolute chore to drive. Advice from Stan, put about 1 degree toe out. Kept the ride height at 5mm and .5mm droop front and rear. And the car was extremely stable.. Much easier to drive. Then Tim helped me with the dual rate and now it's game on!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm just regurgitating everything I've picked up looking at the best 12th scale racers setups. Most run their front dead straight to .5* toe out. I have no issue with the car wandering under power running that way. I have more issues if my diff is too tight.

More Ackermann, the more parallel to each other the front wheels are at full steering throw, the more aggressive the car will turn. Also with the links angled the way they are out of the box, the car bump steers to toe in, which makes the car really aggressive. If you reduce Ackermann, the load bearing outside tire will be angled less and softens the mid corner grab. Perfect Ackermann would be inside and outside tires turn in perfect circles without tire scrub. I've never had it perfect, but it's a good thing to adjust if cornering is too aggressive.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default inquiring minds...

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-toe-in-toe-out/
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Stan, toe in is exactly what I want, I need it to dive in less, and turn more out of the corner. The best I can figure this was the only difference between my car and my dads.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Emberassed to say what the issue was. The screw on the left front castor shims was loose allowing the whole left front to flop around. Going out on a limb here that was causing some handling issues. The toe in will help too.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Incredible day of racing. 15 cars. Gotta love it. Everyone's car looked really good on track. With any luck, next week will continue the trend.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It was a great day of racing!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

This class has gotten very competitive fast. Lots of fast guys right now.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

This class has gotten very competitive fast. Lots of fast guys right now.
A second or two in quals can drop you down two or three positions.

Some surprising results.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'll just put this here, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KqW8KEiP8
Old 02-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by celt View Post
A second or two in quals can drop you down two or three positions.

Some surprising results.
Car stability is a big one for me, have some tricks up my sleeve for next week to hopefully keep the car the same as the traction comes up, varying the traction compound is not the best plan

Stan gave me some ideas to work with so look out next week
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chad_h View Post
I'll just put this here, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12KqW8KEiP8
So curious to the whole racing etiquette deal. At 4:40 in I let Matt clear the right instead of forcing it and then I got inside of him turning into the turn before the loop and held my line to not get pinched turning into the loop straight and we got together, both still going at the end of it. Who is that on me, Matt, or racing for same spot?

So sorry to Matt if that was on me.

Last edited by Cgolf; 02-23-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default and next week...

Blaine is going to take someone's spot!
Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So curious to the whole racing etiquette deal. At 4:40 in I let Matt clear the right instead of forcing it and then I got inside of him turning into the turn before the loop and held my line to not get pinched turning into the loop straight and we got together, both still going at the end of it. Who is that on me, Matt, or racing for same spot?

So sorry to Matt if that was on me.
I'm curious what others think too. I'd chalk it up to "just one of those racin' deals" Also, the carpet on that particular turn makes the car do weird stuff even if there isn't another car there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.