Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing > MARCCA Discussion
The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah! >

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!

Old 02-16-2004, 12:15 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by KevanB
Oh yeah, futureal, its much more fun in person!
Eh, I dunno. I've driven plenty of cars that drifted, either because of the setup or the track. I've never understood what was so great about drifting. It's like, let's spend all this money on a nice car (full scale, r/c or otherwise) and then drive it around the track sideways. Where's the thrill in that?

I think running, say, modified is twice as much fun. Why go sideways when you can go fast?

I guess that's just me though, tons of people seem to like it. The only risk here at marcca is turning the racedays into a 3-ring circus, which is already sort of what I see happening. Having fun classes is nice but keeping the focus on the racing is probably a good idea too. Not saying a drifting class is bad, just not my thing.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yup, I've learn that I enjoy life much better when I don't do things I don't like to do. I also don't really enjoy things I'm not good at either. But I remember when I was a kid and we had a wood deck that would get real slimy after it rained. I would take my tricycle out there and do oval drift laps on it, seriously! I had no idea what I was doing, I just knew it was fun! Now I'm too old for that so when it snows a few inches I take my TransAm out on the backroads and spend most of my time sideways.

It's one thing to just be out of control sliding around and doing donuts in a parking lot (which I don't really find very entertaining). It's another to actually do it with a path in mind (like a racetrack). Take a look at that video I URLed above. The guys on that racetrack are awesome, I find it hard to believe you can't appreciate the skill involved in making a car do that.

Apparently this is the new big thing in Japan and is taking off other places too. I had no idea this kind of class actually existed when I put tape on the tires. Thanks for the good links KevanB.

It's just a different type of racing. It's essentially rally racing. You can usually find that on ESPN.

Maybe if there are starting to be too many classes on Sunday we could start a fun day racing (Drift, micros, whatever) and have a more serious day for the dedicated Stock guys. Although it's probably more efficient to do it all on one day.

We definitly need to try to get this class into the Carpet Challange.

I just can't wait for next Sunday's Drift class!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Kev, I hot glued some old tube socks to the tires! I'm going to try them tonight at the track. On my carpet at home they seem like a real nice level of traction. Don't know if they will hold up though.
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-driftsocks1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Whole car with "socks" on.

I think I'll bring some denim with me to the track to try also.
Attached Thumbnails The heck with Spec sedans...Duct Tape Class baby..Yeah!-driftsocks2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

i got some stuff my mom bought for sewing this holloween costum for my sis. I put it on the front tires of my f-1 for drag racing ( little traction in front of f-1 = it getting traction, but not so much, that it will turn like normal) maybe it would help you to drift, yet keep some traction. I'll bring some of it on sunday, whoknows, maybe it will work and maybe it wont. (yes i realize that sedans are four wheel drive and f-1's are only two, for any who were wondering )
Old 02-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

I picked up some 2'' pvc couplings. I got six of them and each will fit 2 tire widths. I will try this on some old tires just cutting the PVC couplings to the width of the tires. I might try to imitate the yokomo setup later, it seems a bit complicated.

Hhehe Jon I wish I could take you out in my Eagle Talon TSI (awd, turbo, 14 sec 1/4mile STOCK) out on some backroads in the winter!!

I cant wait to see all your drift concoctions sunday. We can brainstorm some ideas.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

if you guys want to drift just come out to the reedsburg armory every other saturday night. we run on a concrete floor which has been finished. It is slick! put your sticky tires on (no slicks, they are horrible) and come out. we run touring stock, mini t stock motor, 1/10 off road, those radio shack cars or mini z. It isn't hugely competitive but it is local and we are having a good time.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Post a mapquest.com link to it! I might just drop by if it isnt too far from columbus!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Suspended

I was actually looking at one of those Diamond Star 4WD cars back then, just exactly for that purpose, Winter fun!

The socks worked great. It was just enough traction to be faster, yet easily driftable. They seem to have held up better than I would have expected, no noticable wear. Didn't try the denim.

I'm thinking it would be nice to find some kind of elastic tube that we could cut into 1.5 inch wide sections that would just tightly fit right over the tire and stay on without glue. Maybe just a smaller kids sock would work.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Regional Moderator

try cutting up a mousepad. the kind that has fabric laminated to the foam rubber. cut it into strips and glue the strips to a wheel with the fabric out. actually the kind with a vinyl layer might be more durable
Old 02-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Suspended

See...great minds think alike. That crossed my mind to use the mouse pad with the slick side out. I will probably try that too.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

go to yahoo maps when i tried to post the link it screwed up the page, here is the info:

549 S Dewey Ave, Reedsburg, WI 53959

or the reedsburg racers web site:

http://www.reedsburgracers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Last edited by Racin Rev; 02-18-2004 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

if you wanna good drift race, we should get an ice race started. I have a pond at my house, that is easily75% larger than the indoor track at marcca, the only problem is we would have to do if befor the ice melt, but right now theres a good 17 inches of ice, and would have to hand count laps, but i've done it with my f-1, and you get about 10 laps on it. its pretty sweet, but i dunno how sedans would do. Maybe we could get an ice racing event started????
Old 02-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Suspended

If it is smooth and freezes back down (to keep the electronics dry) I would be down with doing some laps. We don't necessarily have to count laps, could be just for fun. I think the 4WD sedans would do just fine, probably easier to control than the F1.

I'm thinking the easiest way so far to do this drift class is going to be masking tape. I've got some 3/4" to try, that should leave a bit of rubber exposed so it's not so slippery.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Regional Moderator

you guys are really making me wish I was still living in Cross Plains, I miss playing around on the track.

The track down here is about 2/3 the size of marcca's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.