Like Tree1Likes

Electric Touring / On-Road RC

Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bukel
@ROBORAT: sent you a PM again Sir..
@bukel: yes sir! nag reply na rin ako.

boys, can you guys help out bukel with some starting points in terms of FDR for 13.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky? He's an out of town racer who plans to join us at the track when he comes to visit so lets help a follow racer out.

....Have not run 13.5 boosted for quite a while so don't recall my exact settings back then. All i recall was that i would gear in the range of 5.2~5.8 using a Tekin Speedo and Reedy Sonic motor for 13.5 .... as for 17.5, I don't want to guess as i have not tried this class myself.

@a097b: ikaw pa! pinagbibigyan mo lang si stormtrooper! hehehe ... but sure, will help any way i can. hopefully maka puslit ako sa sabado sa track.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

most are running 7-7.5 fdr on 13.5boosted i think. for 17.5 blinky, 4-4.5 might be a safe starting point.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sirs,

anong servo ang sikat on onroad? preferably yun mid range lang (not more than 2k?)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
most are running 7-7.5 fdr on 13.5boosted i think. for 17.5 blinky, 4-4.5 might be a safe starting point.
hehehe just goes to show i set up my gearing and speed control quite differently than most hara(kiri) style ... but note, i always had motors running at 150~160 degs ... & without a fan! mwahahahaha! then again, i didn't run the usual gear as others also. reedy motors for one run ice cold.

@bukel: given this, i hope that doesn't throw you off. might want to go with what the majority do. if you wanna try out my approach, i can give you an overview on the approach which is suppose you could say is different. but needless to say, both approaches can work. its just a matter of what you want in terms of feel and speed.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROBORAT
hehehe just goes to show i set up my gearing and speed control quite differently than most hara(kiri) style ... but note, i always had motors running at 150~160 degs ... & without a fan! mwahahahaha! then again, i didn't run the usual gear as others also. reedy motors for one run ice cold.
low boost, high turbo?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ROBORAT

@bukel: given this, i hope that doesn't throw you off. might want to go with what the majority do. if you wanna try out my approach, i can give you an overview on the approach which is suppose you could say is different. but needless to say, both approaches can work. its just a matter of what you want in terms of feel and speed.
i do remember gearing 5.9-6.5 on the Tekin as well... i guess it depends alot on the motor-esc combo as well as the settings. but 6.5-7fdr should be a safe place to start, and just adjust fdr and/or esc settings from there.

during the last club race, i was running 155-160degF on my motor for most of the day... but when i bumped up the esc's settings a bit, my motor temp went down to 140degF
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by viralvariance
sirs,

anong servo ang sikat on onroad? preferably yun mid range lang (not more than 2k?)
kinda hard to look for a reliable servo at that price... personally, along with the esc and motor, one thing worth investing is a good servo.

just from running the GT Spec Class, i've seen a lot of good runs ruined by a intro-level servo going bust. thing is, if you're just starting, you'll be prone to alot of crashes... and since most low cost servos either have plastic gears or don't center properly, you'll end up with crappy runs.

I've heard alot of good reviews from the Savox line of servos, not as "expensive" as Futaba/Sanwa/KO Propo servos, but still "more than 2K". only draw back is that Savox servos tend to be power hungry... make sure you're not running Spektrum or Flysky radios (they tend to glitch when used with Savox)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

kinda hard to look for a reliable servo at that price... personally, along with the esc and motor, one thing worth investing is a good servo.

just from running the GT Spec Class, i've seen a lot of good runs ruined by a intro-level servo going bust. thing is, if you're just starting, you'll be prone to alot of crashes... and since most low cost servos either have plastic gears or don't center properly, you'll end up with crappy runs.

I've heard alot of good reviews from the Savox line of servos, not as "expensive" as Futaba/Sanwa/KO Propo servos, but still "more than 2K". only draw back is that Savox servos tend to be power hungry... make sure you're not running Spektrum or Flysky radios (they tend to glitch when used with Savox)
i'm using savox 1256tg na sa offroad rc ko, haven't experienced the power-hungry part, wag pa muna sana ...

hindi naman hard cap si 2k, hopefully, nearest to that price.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys, will silicone oil for dampers work for gear diffs as well? Or should I use oil made specifically for the gear diffs? Is it a question of wt. or cst ratings?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Minami
low boost, high turbo?
@minami: gear tall (bigger pinion) and use boost and turbo just to give the motor the extra power. the motor will tend to run cooler and faster if you get the combo right. i even ran that gearing with an 11.5 same results. other good side is you don't strain the electronics to do all the work by over boosting the motor. the thinking is that if you were running no boost, you would gear way taller anyway to put the motor in its right power band and as mentioned above, the electronics just add that extra "umph" ... lastly, it makes the car feel smoother overall without sacrificing speed. but mind you, it's tricky to get the right settings. i was just fortunate i got a little help form someone very credible. so honestly, i wouldn't have done it on my own. if i did, i would have fried a good motor or two.

i do remember gearing 5.9-6.5 on the Tekin as well... i guess it depends alot on the motor-esc combo as well as the settings. but 6.5-7fdr should be a safe place to start, and just adjust fdr and/or esc settings from there.

during the last club race, i was running 155-160degF on my motor for most of the day... but when i bumped up the esc's settings a bit, my motor temp went down to 140degF
@voodoo: yup, i used to gear that way as well until i got the tip from titc. it's really just a different approach and the feel changes. feels faster andmuch smoother and easier to drive in my opinion... but that's me. and remember, all without a fan at about 2 to 3 teeth bigger on the pinion .. not even a little one. am actually starting to do the same approach with my mod motor and already dropped 10 degs ... i now run down to 140 degrees from around 150 previously. and another thing is mechanical timing on the motors is the other variable. the tricky part really is finding that combo and the nice thing with the tekin back then was you could be precise with when the boost would engage. but anyway, since i haven't run 13.5 in a looong while, best the guys (bukel included) benchmark against what you guys do. hirap na pag may masunugan at baka masisi ako hehehe
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reichsmarshal24
Guys, will silicone oil for dampers work for gear diffs as well? Or should I use oil made specifically for the gear diffs? Is it a question of wt. or cst ratings?
Its mainly viscosity/thickness of the oil you are after. Shock oils are typically below 800 cst while for gear diffs usually you'd wanna have something fom 1000cst and up depending on what class you'll be running. Too thin an oil will mean you wont be getting the diff action you need to grnetatr the traction you want especially when you enter corners and let off your throttle. Pag masyadong manipis ang oil, bibitaw ang diff as you let off throttle and wont get the drag braking feel a diff needs to provide you.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help and the inputs ROBORAT and VooDooPH! I really appreciate it mga bros.. Just got out from a 5 year rc hiatus and WHAAAMM!! now there's this turbo thingy.. been running mostly nitro here (with a dash of EP) in SG for the past 4 months that I got back. and I just thought since I won't be able to run 1/8 there that i'll just bring my 1/10 nitro and EP instead.. By the way, I had 1 race with a 17.5t boosted here last November with 6.0 - 6.5 FDRs.. Hope I could join you on your Feb 16 race with a 17.5t blinky if the schedule allows.. but will definitely see you guys at the track! Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks Gerry. If I'm gonna get 3 sets of gear diff oils, what are the cst values should I grab?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reichsmarshal24
Thanks Gerry. If I'm gonna get 3 sets of gear diff oils, what are the cst values should I grab?
@reichsmarshal24: if you run stock, 1000 is the most you'll probably need. modified is 2000 most of the time if indoor. in hotter conditions like outdoor races, you may go up to 3000. or you could play around with 3000 if you're looking to plant the rear of your car more when off power entering a corner or looking for more mid to exit (on power) steering. but most instances, 1000 and 2000 should keep you covered.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

question lang mga sirs. i'm just planning to join the 17.5 blinky class and just about to buy a brushless esc. pwede ba gamitin sa class na yun ang SP REVENTON R? TIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.