Wiki Posts
Search

The New Malta Guys Race Chat

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 06:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Default hi guys

im back........school has started..
looks like an intresting season...shame that i have my O-levels!!!!...so ill miss a few meetings here and there!!!!
so any-ways....im not really ready for the start of the championship................but we will see how it goes....!
good luck
......intresthing newsletter joe.....!
Old 09-27-2001, 08:22 AM
Regional Moderator

just had a look at the news-letter ....and my name (as others)is now alan.....not that alan is a bad name....its a nice name.....
anyways....im sure you realised....just want to let you know.......looks like joe is getting used to his new PC.......right??..... looks like a full list of names for racing....!!!.....cool!
Old 09-27-2001, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Hi Adam, Julian.....ben otrnati!

It's been pretty busy down there while you were away. Certainly a full house this evening.

Gustav has been running his Pro 3. Beppe is running very well too. He is very consistant. I managed a run with the Yoke today. It's going well.....and guess what - I managed a whole run with my new body without rolling it!

Josh gets quicker every time. He managed to get well into 23 laps today with 3 or 4 laps at 12.8, quite a few 13.0 and a 23rd lap in 13.7.....I can't even do that on my first or second lap.

We've sounded out everyone that was there today about qualifying....or the lack of it. The following people have said they don't mind if we scrub qualifying, which would take about 2 hours and instead accept a ballot.

Josef Agius. Simon Sapiano, Karl Fenech. Mark Debattista. Stanley cassar. Luke Zammit. Matthew Zammit. Vittorio Bonavia. Kenneth Refalo. Duncan Sant. Alan Curmi. Beppe Debono. Chris Spiteri. Ray Muscat. Gustav Cuschieri. Joshua Anastasi. Cliff Cipriott. Joe Filletti. I don't think I've forgotten anyone that was there this evening...or have I.

So Adam, Julian and Andrew, what do you say we scrub qualifyinf and put our cars on grid positions by ballot for the first race. It looks like we already have a majority in favour.

Julian, give me a ring some time.

Regards

Joe.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Regional Moderator

that sounds nice.........loads of new ppl at the track....new names
i dont think we need qualifing.....it will save time
any one going sat???
Old 09-28-2001, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

I too agree with qualifying being skipped. A ballot sounds good.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Adam,
Is "Hacker" something normal to have under my name
Old 09-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Regional Moderator

yes cause your the one causing the new virus.......NO j/k....its just a thing that comes according to your # of posts.....nothin new
Old 09-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's 10:45 next to me and it's still raining!
Old 09-30-2001, 10:37 AM
Regional Moderator

nice meeting....but for some reason it felt different.....
but i had fun.......altough i didnt do to well!
....and good luck + well done for karl....new secretary!
Old 10-01-2001, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys.

Adam, thanks first of all for the encouraging comments about the meeting. Your feelings are correct, and mine exactly....it is different this year. It is much more cut throat. That is why Josh left and Chris doesn't want to race in modified. Pity.

Since very few competitors had the decency to thank Gerald, Mark and myself for working at the meeting, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark and Gerald myself. Gerald did a grand job considering the original idea was that he was just going to be helping Johnny, and Mark....well his situation was a bit like mine - he was trying to cope with his own racing, as well as the organisation. Well done and thank you both again.

You know, it doesn't take much to say "thank you" but I can assure you it means alot.

Congratulations also to new club secretary Karl Fenech, and a big thank you again to outgoing secretary Joe Filletti. I didn't see many guys thanking him, or congratulating Karl for that matter.

Now then, well done to everyone, winners, loosers....everyone. We had a great day. It started off a bit shaky with the morning storm, but if there's one good thing about our track it is the fact that it dries off quickly. We started racing at 2.30 and finished at 5.15 which is excellent, having covered 12 exciting races in the process.

I spent yesterday evening playing about with statistics, whilst waiting for the GP to start from Indy. Here's what I came up with.

MODIFIED T/C. We know who the two winners were. Ray won the first race with 20 laps. Hayden won the second with the only 22 lapper of the day. Well done. The first race was held on a wet but drying track, whilst the track was dry for the second.

Fastest lap of the day was Julian Bernard's 13.59. Julian, Alan and Ray spent the first three laps of the second race tripping each other up, but once they all settled down all started lapping impressively. In fact here are the four fastest laps of the day.
Julian - 13.59. Ray - 13.66. Beppe - 13.74. Hayden - 13.80.

Man of the meeting, in my books was Beppe Debono. Whilst one expects good results from some drivers, Beppe's performances, in both races were a revelation. He finished third overall in both races and in both cases under 10 seconds from the overall winners. And what's more he does it without fuss and pomp.

As for my own performances, I was within my target....just, with a 6th and a 5th overall.....and wasn't my car quick!!!!!!Shame about the driver. Actually I was surprised at how close I was to the top, which is worrying when one considers that internationally I am considered to be lousy....G final at West London isn't exactly scintillating. What is happening to our standard?

So, championship positions after 2 rounds are as follows:

Equal 1st - Ray and Hayden - 14 points.
3rd - Beppe - 10 points. 4th - Gustav - 6 points.
5th - myself - 5 points.

STOCK T/C. Good thing I am not a gambler. I was sure Duncan, with his experience, and with his excellent car would have walked away with the class. But the gremlins kept getting at him, and at the end of the day it was Karl who won the first race and Mark the second. Well done to all nevertheless.

Lap times make interesting reading in this class too, with Mark Debattista the only driver to get into the 14s with a best lap in 14.79. Next best was Mark Muscat with a 15 dead, followed by Duncan's best of 15.06 and Noel's 15.22 from the first race.

In terms of laps Mark D was the only Stock driver to do 20 laps, but the racing was close as expected with the next 3 runners all doing 19s.

Championship standings for stock are as follows;

1st Mark D - 11 points. 2nd Karl - 9 points. Equal 3rd Thomas and Duncan - 8 points. 5th Mark M - 7 points.

JOHN BULL CHALLENGE. Chris Spiteri started off the season just as he left off the previous one, winning both races from Alan Curmi. Alan had the fastest race lap in both races but needs to keep it all together for longer. He had visibly the faster car. It's got to get more exciting as the season progresses. And Noel Agius wasn't far off either.

Here are the three fastest laps. Alan - 15.54. Chris - 15.65. Noel - 15.88.

If any of you would like any other statistics, just say so and I will oblige.

Well done and thank you all again for your support.

Regards

Joe.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone,

|Good meeting on Sunday, pity I didn't do as I expected.

Although my fastest time was just 0.27 slower that the fastest lap of the day in stock (Mark D 14.79, mine 15.06), I had some 3 or 4 laps over 20s, mainly due to the fact that no marshalls were present for our 2nd race. In fact, on 2 occasions, a man who does not have anything to do with the club was to be the one for me to arrange my car!! I don't want to be misunderstood, but this problem has been carrying on for ages. What is going to be done against those drivers? What can we do for the future? (As it happened to me, it can happen to others!!)

I would like to say a big PROSIT to Gerald and Amanda who did a great job as first-time scrutineers.

Looking foward to the next champ. race

Bye to everyone

C4.1 BREAKING THE SOUND BARRIER!!!!
Old 10-01-2001, 10:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi all,

I agree with Duncan, I did some marshalling despite the fact that it was not my turn. However, as Duncan said this is a problem that had been with us for a long time. I too in the second race got on the side and I tried to do it all by myself (with success )since most of the marshalling post were empty.

I would also say thank you to all those who made yesterday's meetings possible. A special thanks to Gerald, Amanda and Mark.

See you
Ray
Old 10-01-2001, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

I too agree with Ray and Duncan, but what is the solution?

Ray has raced abroad and knows how bad marshalling can be abroad too. Josh and I have even seen lousy marshalling at the Worlds, and you can't get much bigger than that.

We've seen bad marshalling in full scale multi million dollar Formula 1, where good marshalling is a matter of life and death.

It can happen to any of us. It happened to me too yesterday. My first lap was 25 seconds where all the rest were 14s. Why....pretty obviously the marshall was either not there or asleep. Just tough luck!

Has anyone got any concrete suggestions. Incidentally this is no new phenomenan. It has existed throughout the 10 years I have been at IRMCC, and I don't really see a solution.

Anyone got any sensible ideas.

You know what the other lot did....they banned marshalls. Would you prefer that?

Regards

Joe.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well done to Karl on becoming secretary. I wish him the best of luck. I would also like to thank Joe Filletti for all he has done with the club. Well done to all other helpers too.
In my opinion I was unlucky in the first stock race. My speedo got wet. But I have to admit that I was a little foolish not to test it before, just to make sure it is working properly. I am pretty happy about my times, considering I was running ancient 2000 batteries and a battered Panasonic 3000.
Anyway, at least I had fun.
Duncan, since we can't rely on marshals, I was reading on a magazine that there are special ariels that "push" your car up when it topples over...maybe they can be of some help

Regards
Mark@ibragg

Last edited by 10malta; 10-01-2001 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:07 PM
Regional Moderator

i dont think those arials will work.......waist of money!!!
btw mark i have your solderer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.