Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Malaysian R/C Racers
WHAT IS THE TRUE BENEFIT OF 1/8 NITRO OFFROAD VS EP OFFROAD.....? >

WHAT IS THE TRUE BENEFIT OF 1/8 NITRO OFFROAD VS EP OFFROAD.....?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHAT IS THE TRUE BENEFIT OF 1/8 NITRO OFFROAD VS EP OFFROAD.....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Exclamation WHAT IS THE TRUE BENEFIT OF 1/8 NITRO OFFROAD VS EP OFFROAD.....?

i discussed with various nitro offroaders and what they said. many said they not change to others. basically to stay with 1/8 for the following reasons.

01. the realistic engine sound.
02. the smell of nitro on track.
03. the smoke & dust.
04. gas engine more power, can jump unbelievable length (engine quality plays de role).. but if terbalik too often u are on losing grounds.
05. more competitively pricing on car pro-kits.
06. common spares easily available anywhere.
07. lesser maintainance.
08. batteries for ep, too expensive to maintain, lose punch punya.
09. no need complicated charger.
10. more organized race, u can go everywhere anytime try different track layout.
11. everybody equal opportunity to win base on own skills & judgement, forget about speed secret like in ep.
12. better experiences & best learning experience.
13. can bash anywhere (mana mana pun boleh).

best of all more fun factor, forget about the batt wait time & wear. cost of 1 batt pack (degrade from time after time) is consider equavalent to 15L (3.75g) of nitro fuel with consistant power..

so i leave it for the rest to add their views & comments..that is to benefit newcomers & others for a change. anyway have nice weekend...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i like both how leh ~~

very subjective wan... both got advantage and disadvantage..

EP are gud
GP also gud ~
Old 08-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well, one universal guideline is that electronics depreciate very fast. Once new electronic designs get released, no one wants the old stuff.

Therefore, EP requires updates as time passes by (especially chargers and batteries!). Can go solo...

GP couldn't be bothered. Rewards teamwork though.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

ah fei, as rc dealer everything also good... most importantly is ($_$)
Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

yes true, electronics get replaced very fast.. the moment u buy a latest one... the most latest already in the market n will soon make way to m'sia.

if not ppl cut u easily in straight line, since u in touring...

as for 1/8 gp... previously ppl want good engine like nova, rb c6 for example.. but now cheapo engine like apha, pr or whatever does the job real well too
Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There's always people who likes or dislikes certain categories. Some likes GP while other prefer EP.
I like EP for its instantaneous power delivery, low noise, less smell and ease of setup.
Low noise lets people like us be able to play at most places since u know Singapore is so bloody small and space is hard to find.
Less smell means you breathe easy during marshaling duties.
Ease of setup cause there's no tuning of low end/high end, too rich, engine flood, etc.

Still, GP does have their benefits as well. At the end of the day, if u enjoy what you do, who cares?!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

This is one juicy topic. I seemed to recall in the '80s, as far off road was concerned, 10th scale ep were the king of the hill. GP was not that popular. The coming of 8th scale GP changed the game. The cars were bigger, tougher & most importantly more powerful & faster. Faster & higher performance. Faster & higher performance is everything. Move aside little ep torchlight cars. Big guy GP with added benefit of the Noise & fumes just like real car !

Fast forward to the 21st century. EP is back with a vengeance. The advent of brushless & lipo & we have a game changer at hand. So the GP boys say nah mate, it's the noise & fumes that make the deal. Performance is secondary lah, never mind the the new breed of ep is now faster & higher performance than that their GP counterpart. We choose to run GP because we just like it. We don't like torchlight cars... Where's the noise & fumes ? Not realistic lah. So many secretive things one can making ep unfair....chargers & stuff, tooo much hassle lah. We like tuning & flameouts, resleeving, changeout glow plugs, make sure glow heater, starter box batteries are charged...What about run time ? Only 20 minutes non stop ? We can run for 1 hour !

Did u know current ep power combo is already too powerful for the cars ? Everyone is overpowered. Skill determines the winner. Pull your headsnout of the sand & come join us. Resistance is futile once the lowest common denominator realizes that it's plug & play & it's damn fast

Flame suit on
Old 08-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toh WL
ah fei, as rc dealer everything also good... most importantly is ($_$)
haiya u ~~ =.='

when i see you i sure cubit ur nipple kao kao.. (i am not big dealer la bro .. just a normal lhs)

erm i don't think that ep life span are low if u have nice charger and battery and the appropriated gearing.. Example silverback battery hahahahahahaha ~~

ture the ep are more $$$ for starting if u compare RTR's ep vs gp.. mostly rtr ep are slower than GP rtr's need changing this and that...

ini barang sudah cakap la.. depend what u like only ~ if u ask me choose... i like EP because i am damn busy people .. monday 2 sunday working ~ sunday to monday working pubilc holiday WORKING ~ i have no time of maintaince Nitro car.. hahaha.. but no doubt that GP are very fun but if i have xtra time i will have a GP car also... and hor u forgot PP (Petrol power) hahaha very gud for busy ppl like me also..
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i discussed with various nitro offroaders and what they said. many said they not change to others. basically to stay with 1/8 for the following reasons.

01. the realistic engine sound.
02. the smell of nitro on track.
03. the smoke & dust.
04. gas engine more power, can jump unbelievable length (engine quality plays de role).. but if terbalik too often u are on losing grounds.
05. more competitively pricing on car pro-kits.
06. common spares easily available anywhere.
07. lesser maintainance.
08. batteries for ep, too expensive to maintain, lose punch punya.
09. no need complicated charger.
10. more organized race, u can go everywhere anytime try different track layout.
11. everybody equal opportunity to win base on own skills & judgement, forget about speed secret like in ep.
12. better experiences & best learning experience.
13. can bash anywhere (mana mana pun boleh).

best of all more fun factor, forget about the batt wait time & wear. cost of 1 batt pack (degrade from time after time) is consider equavalent to 15L (3.75g) of nitro fuel with consistant power..

so i leave it for the rest to add their views & comments..that is to benefit newcomers & others for a change. anyway have nice weekend...

True...............many this is what many GP Offroad drivers will said to you........and probably you have spoken for others.......

Cause many already try or came from EP class and others from beginners level. Many do not care EP is more powerful than GP or more advance...........or whatever.........most competitors prefer/wants to compete in the fairest way.......without the advantage of the equipment............I have this and you don't..........syndrome..............

The group divided: Racers / Hobbyists

Look at the MNL 4 lately in RCC..........with about 100 drivers.........in buggy class...........the level of racing is so much higher.................and drivers came from many parts of Malaysia and from countries like Indonesia and Singapore.................

The race system is bump up............up to 5 drivers able to move up to a higher finals should you win...................and keep on bumping until you run out of steam or pace..............

The excitement..............of the system..........the drama...........and the standard..............ONE hour A main final - if you can make it............of 1/8th offroad gas racing..................puts you beyond. That's what make it a popular class in South East Asia right now...........

DT

Last edited by Danny Teh; 08-29-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i agree with the "racers vs hobbyist" groups. many years ago when i got my first buggy it had to be electric as i wanted something i could charge up, play then store, simplicity was key, well back then a young man had many priorities not only RC.

at the moment from what i read in malaysia we are more focused on gp buggies which caters to the racing crowd. i do understand in this day and age of so called instant gratification, having to wait for our lipos to charge may put a few people off, no to mention the price of lipos.

anyway, i still run ep 1/8 buggy, not racing just play when i have time, love it.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

yeap..........

what differences between the two............???

it is cater for both racers and hobbyists...............to be exact.

due to time constraints and many......................more reason...............that divided the 2 because there's more choice now.

What's hot and not is never important.................if you are comfortable with this or that................then go ahead....................

consumer choice mah..............track owners or LHS have no say really and cater for the needs of consumers............
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Oh dear, why do I feel like a hardliner in a country of pacifists
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

another thing we also have to factor in the "kaki" effect, most of us tend to gravitate towards what our friends are playing. so if there is a large group of people playing for example Brand A (either EP or GP), then thats the most popular, including the fact that most of the LHS would also carry spares etc.
as this thread is specific to offroad 1/8, and from what i see (not only reading the forum but also based on my few times at the track closest to me), GP is the most popular.
a quick show of hands on 1/8 EP owners vs 1/8 GP owners perhaps?
i do not buy into the "realistic engine sound", i do not believe the 1:1 scale vehicle sounds anything remotely close to a nitro engine sound. the way i look at it, if you have invested your hard earned money, you should enjoy what you have. if you have not taken the plunge yet, then visit a few tracks, make some friends then decide.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

aiyoh..........toh............this thread is totally unnecessary. ( my opinion - sorry ah ! )

It should never be compare ! EP vs GP - each have it's group a followers with different criteria.

Again - there's racers and hobbyists..................category..........all of us here are in a different category................

And it is difficult and again accordance to your preference. That's about it.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny Teh
aiyoh..........toh............this thread is totally unnecessary. ( my opinion - sorry ah ! )

It should never be compare ! EP vs GP - each have it's group a followers with different criteria.

Again - there's racers and hobbyists..................category..........all of us here are in a different category................

And it is difficult and again accordance to your preference. That's about it.

i have same thinking dun angry ah ~~

haha luckly here all Posting ppl all are very gentleman if not sure ada flamming punya ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.