ASEAN CUP 1/10 nitro

Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default ASEAN CUP 1/10 nitro

My experiance at the asean cup was disastrous and not to mention sad!!!Going to the asean cup was like a new drivers dream in achieving something for himself and positioning himself amongst the best of the best in asean or that was what it would have seem to me,
lets start from the beginning when the time I saw the track it was big and pretty smooth permanent trackl aid down with PVC pipes and nails so I guess it was pretty well thought of track.Next we had our practise session on friday/first day most driver had problems with traction but it seemed pretty well for my setup(R40),meeting up with other drivers was a great experiance as I got to know there were bruneians ,sabahans ,sarawakians australians(4) and us rugrats from west malaysia.....KL!!!my questions were where are the Singaporeans?? the Thais?? one would assume that they didnt get any info about this race or the publicity about this race were minimal??am I wrong ?ok next item is I had a brief chat with a the chairman of this event and he was Mr Thian and we briefly exchange notes on the mission to organize this event and I would give my credibility to his visions in making this into our very own regional event outside of the femca and ifmar bodies..some make take it as us being rebels..but to my perspective I believe he mave have onto something here that is valuable..to all of us here ,as I would dare say how many of us here really really really qualify to participate in anything regional under femca.. so I guess at the very least we do have somesomething that would enable us to race on a regional basis! which I think is pretty fair and considerate.thing to gain more experiance before or prepare ourselfs should we pursue on in participating races under Femca or the other idea is at least we have something to race at and share and enjoy on a regional basis which no one else has ever dreamed of or even dared to create...so please at the very least give him this credit ....then came the drivers briefing night where some of us went without dinner...and was hungry througout the whole briefing and it was a night where we chose a new chairman and etc etc etc and the next host country...which is Brunei... three cheers!!!at least there were more bruneians then any other country that were present..all of this decision making process was through a voting process.

So I would like to point out here again there werent enough information on the agenda that were suppose to be addressed...have any body considered in having a website on this whole event?? at the very least we or those who have the capability to access the web can extract and can share all this important information to our team mambers or friends....
but somehow I feel something is AMISS here...then came the first day of the heats!!! the juicy part!!! we all went to the track with all our $$$$$ equipments and big hopes and what ever feelings that you can envision if you were to participate in a regional event!...When we reached the track I and my team mates discovered that THERE WERE NO DAMN TABLES LEFT FOR US!!!not to mention chairs OMG what is this?? so we went to the organiser and presented our problem and he mention to us that its on the way ...so ok ok ok we accepted the fact and went back to equipment and started getting ready our cars ON THE FLOOR!anticipating our tables and chairs would be there...anytime soon , 30 minutes went by and then an hour still no sight of our table and chairs...I went to the chairman(Thian) and gave him an ultimatum of 5 minutes if not we are pulling out of the race...so came the poor table from his operations or I would say computer table..Fine... but what about the chair??oh boy was I furious now...then came the organiser with a single chair that he say he specially found for me...ummmmm HELLO!!! are u dumb or an idiot or what?? a chair for 4 persons?? what are we to do?? play music chair with it?? so ok fine we endure again the first heat came and went and still no chair then came lunch!!!! now this is where I got totally frustratated when the only 1 chair we had were stoled and we had to borrow chairs from our neighbours just to have a decent meal ...so thats where I decided that I do not want to be treated this way for the organisers incompetence or shortcoming or inexperiance in handling a regional event! to the organiser of this years EVENT you were miserable in coordination and planning which turn to a laughing stock this is not ASEAN CUP this IS RUMAH PANJANG CUP!!! or VILLAGE CUP!!!The next thing is a regional event doesnt have is Marshalls!!!!!!damn I have seent the thais do it and seen the japs do it and even read about the ANG MOHS doing it but unfortunately we had to depend on our team mate or pit crew to pick up our cars if it were turtled...So please gentleman you have a cause here and if you do it well you would be successfull but do it like this race I guess you can count me and my team out next year.If you would like this event to be successfull please rethink your strategy and tatics and if I do not have the full agenda and itenary and enough information for the next years race .You can safely bet we would not be there ....

and and all is said I still would like to stand and give a bow to the chairman Mr Thian for bringing up RC sport to malaysia and bringing it up to a level where everybody benefited from it and having big dreams but I guess he just didnt have the able people to assist him

.my two cents worth
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Regular

I agree with alot of bulldogs comments regarding the problems encountered during the event....
Website would be a great way to keep ppl informed.

I also think the organisers need more helpers to make a better race meet.

Maybe some singaporeans will be there next yr.....

I just hope that ppl give this event some chance to grow and become even better...

The drivers made this event for me....from what i saw, the drivers were very helpful to each other and showed a great attitude..

Another yr to get some of these issues sorted.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i agree most of bulldog1 comments n i wanna add one more thing which happened to me...and to some racers too...
do u ever experience or heard that the organizer...may i say the chairman of the race, scold the pitcrew that they should not take a chair for their own use if they are not racer?...he said, i quote in fewer words..."are you a racer? If not, give back the chair. This is only for racers.". and he took it just like that. tell me, is this correct or not?
We ever held a bigger race(with not so famous name but with many more racers coming up to 130 racers not including their pitcrew)...we never ever scold or ask someone to give back the chairs. we simply get new chairs and new table to accomadate racers and their pitcrews.

this little little thing DO AFFECT the professionalisme of the organizing members. i got no more comments except i do like this thing to be changed. not enough chairs...get more!!! no people to marshall, paid them.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by jfc_tech
i agree most of bulldog1 comments n i wanna add one more thing which happened to me...and to some racers too...
do u ever experience or heard that the organizer...may i say the chairman of the race, scold the pitcrew that they should not take a chair for their own use if they are not racer?...he said, i quote in fewer words..."are you a racer? If not, give back the chair. This is only for racers.". and he took it just like that. tell me, is this correct or not?
We ever held a bigger race(with not so famous name but with many more racers coming up to 130 racers not including their pitcrew)...we never ever scold or ask someone to give back the chairs. we simply get new chairs and new table to accomadate racers and their pitcrews.

this little little thing DO AFFECT the professionalisme of the organizing members. i got no more comments except i do like this thing to be changed. not enough chairs...get more!!! no people to marshall, paid them.
Totally agree jft_tech and bulldog, I'm the one who let their chairman request stand up and taken chair by him. Kampung Race actually, without Malaysian, I'm sure that this event will "Ta Pau".

When the prize presentation dinner, prize present to A Main first, the chairman let the TQ driver (Andrew Abbot, Aussie) speech on the stage twice. Just like the man of the race, but please don't forget the man of the race is "Azri" from MALAYSIA. Did you (Mr. Thian) let Azri speech on the stage? The answer is NO. Mr. Thian still mentioned Adrew Abbot again and again for whole dinner of his own speech. At the last of dinner, he still want to annource to control the engine to 3 port next year, why? Because the Aussie driver using the 3 port engine? Please don't forget 90++ Malaysian driver are using 5 port. Better ask Aussie driver buy one 5 port engine to join us, how come ask 90++ Malaysian's driver buy 90++ 3 port engine to join the Aussie driver.

At last, I'm sure Asean Cup will "Ta Pau" next year in Brunei if they control engine to 3 port. Mr. Thian, please don't forget Malaysian is the one who support your Asean Cup for 3 years.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

IMHO i dun think the 3 port engine idea will work in asia........asia has always gone with the fastest equipment available. In australia we use 3 port, and the cost is no different to 5 port.

TQ racer, you are right about Mr Thian keep talking about Andrew, but Andrew only make 2 speech coz Andrew ask Mr Thian so that he could give TC Boy the HPI car....
Azri is a worthy champion coz he was the one who finish 45min legally....I just hope he come back next yr to defend his title.

In australia all the driver have to marshall the next race, not the pit crew. I was pitting for 3 ppl and did so much running, got sunburnt
I would be happy to pay a little extra to make sure we have permanent marshall and enough tables and chairs....i did'nt have a chair at all on friday or saturday...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by snoopy

I would be happy to pay a little extra to make sure we have permanent marshall and enough tables and chairs....i did'nt have a chair at all on friday or saturday...
I hope that this unfortunate event didnt make you think that we Malaysians are bad organisers.
Its just some hiccups that the organisers didnt think about it.
Well, hope to see u here next year. But i still wont be around.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:19 PM
KJ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am not in the race and I am not qualified to comment.

But just curious.... Why is the race named as Asia Cup? What qualifies that name? Registered with Malaysia IFMAR club?? I can't remember the name.

If a race is set to target for that level of racing, none of the about should be happened. Moreover, expectation is to have some real time empire to judge for slower cars to pull over or even disqualification on the spot. Is car weight measure? Engine control? Fuel check? Body limitation? I believe there is many more elements.

If any of the above mentioned element is not check during the race.... please rename the race in the future, sometime like Malaysia open or Sarawak open or whatever.

Racing with marshalling rules is something bothering me a LOT. If you decided to organize a race beyond your city inviting people from outstanding (not to mentioned out of country), please enfource the marhsalling rules. This is one of the most basic guild lines for a race. If everywhere else in the world can do it, why couldn't we? Where has the Malasysia boleh spirit gone?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the hiccups in the Kuching Asean race. I'll like to share and comment a bit though I did not participate, I think is tough and challenging to make everything faultless, especially without a club or bodies with voluntarily personnels to help run a big race. Mr.Thian organised this Asean race with minimal help I guess from the local hobby shop in Kuching, I guess they tried to accomodate every request but sometime things just don't turn out smoothly.

As for the 3 ports, seriously I think we Malaysian must give this a try, it will help to bring in more hobbyist, reduce the cost of racing in this hobby and bring our standard up to Americans, European and other developed RC nations level. We always think we are fast...but I can safely say we are NOT, skill wise we are way behind them, that's why we keep going for the latest and fastest modified engine! Man...RM1200-RM1500 for a tiny .12 engine!

Many newcomers dare not race because everyone else either running a JP, Max or Rody mods, they already have fear in joining let alone racing those mods engine. There are many 'fast drivers' out there...even guys with 2-3months experience are fast...but have you seen them drive? Is like a Tomahawk locked on and homing on your ass, this is the worst thing to watch. They think 'wow I'm as fast as so and so...', yeah right and why didn't u beat him 'consistently' in every race?

Many gave up the hobby because they can't coup up with the cost racing in heavily mod. Just imagine the Worlds runs .12 3port, 16% and standard plug. Malaysia Bolehland runs runs .12 5port Modified, 25% and Turbo plug! And yet some ask ...how good this fuel in protecting our engine? how durable are these engines? C'mon man...u think F1 engine last a lifetime?

As for pit crews or supporters, again..we must be considerate as the organiser will never know how many guys in your team are coming to the race (unless you specify in the reg form) So usually they will arrange for the no. of racers signed up and maybe 20% extra for tables and chairs. Now if every 100 racers were to bring 3 guys...and demand a chair...wow...what do you think will happen in the pit with 300 guys?

As far as I know, all the drivers have to turn marshall after his heat, so every group will help the each others, everyone must have the discipline and beginners will learn from this. Was surprise Asean race never impose this rule? It happens in US, Europe and Japan. Probably not the Worlds race coz big event will have enough fund to 'employ' marshalls. Don't expect small race to have such fund right?

I am not siding or against anyone, but sometime things does go unexpectedly, life sucks but live the best of it. RC hobby is fun and please enjoy it. If everyone expect a 100% perfect in RC, I dont think RC is suitable for them. You see in RC nitro racing nothing is 100%, Azri told me that he started from the bottom with some engine problem too and just race consistenly without even thinking of winning, suddenly became the winner, TC Boy race aggresively and won the race but got disqualified, TQ Andrew lead almost throughout the race and engine failed in the last 7min, Rudy and Steven can have engine problem, Mizan, Kok Heng...these are all top drivers and yet they never made it but these people never give up to enjoy the hobby...they will come back for more! Ever notice why they never get bored? Coz RC is FUN, winning or losing a race is nothing, learning and gaining experience from every races is the most important of all - and that's what a good driver usually has.

Have fun.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by TPRacing

As for the 3 ports, seriously I think we Malaysian must give this a try, it will help to bring in more hobbyist, reduce the cost of racing in this hobby and bring our standard up to Americans, European and other developed RC nations level. We always think we are fast...but I can safely say we are NOT, skill wise we are way behind them, that's why we keep going for the latest and fastest modified engine! Man...RM1200-RM1500 for a tiny .12 engine!
So who is going to organise the first 3port race? I have my 3port AE pullstart engine raring to go! BTW wong, I kena tut by InitialD, Crash and Cow on the straights in TT. My 3 port no match for their Max and nsR.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

we as a sarawakian.we r 100% agreed with what tp is explaining the way to enjoy rc.from the way he is in the rc ,i know he enjoy the rc.one thing for sure as i notice during the race.all the good driver just keeping quiet and preparing thier car for the next heat n the rest for too free to walk around making comment.
i really hope that one day, for those who making strong comment on the organizer will become an event organizer one day.i think the event they organized will be a 100 % one.
so ,do enjoy the rc and make less comment.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AdR|aN
I hope that this unfortunate event didnt make you think that we Malaysians are bad organisers.
Its just some hiccups that the organisers didnt think about it.
Well, hope to see u here next year. But i still wont be around.
I don't think Malaysians are bad organisers, just think the organisers need more ppl to help.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TPRacing

Many newcomers dare not race because everyone else either running a JP, Max or Rody mods, they already have fear in joining let alone racing those mods engine. There are many 'fast drivers' out there...even guys with 2-3months experience are fast...but have you seen them drive? Is like a Tomahawk locked on and homing on your ass, this is the worst thing to watch. They think 'wow I'm as fast as so and so...', yeah right and why didn't u beat him 'consistently' in every race?

Many gave up the hobby because they can't coup up with the cost racing in heavily mod. Just imagine the Worlds runs .12 3port, 16% and standard plug. Malaysia Bolehland runs runs .12 5port Modified, 25% and Turbo plug! And yet some ask ...how good this fuel in protecting our engine? how durable are these engines? C'mon man...u think F1 engine last a lifetime?
Like any other thing, RC is a trend too. All it takes is a trend setter to get things going...ie: Imagine all the vet drivers like yourself, Steven, the 2 Anthonys etc etc went to a club race and raced a 3 port engine...win or lose oso nevermind, the most important thing is to lead the way. Why would an amatuer/noobie wanna use 3 porters when the pros are using 5 porters?...So get the pros to change and the rest would follow suit. If I'm not mistaken, the pro driver group of people in klang valley is only a handful and they keep in touch quite often...practice together oftenly too. If they can agree to start 3 porting...soon enuff all the noobies would follow suit...cheaper too right? And the pros can proof that 3 ports are just as fast...example by Andrew of AE @ Kuching and Michael of Serpent @ Thailand.

My 2 cents...
Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by crashed_1
cheaper too right?
Hard to say... I believe it's more like RM 50 less expensive only.

Originally posted by crashed_1
And the pros can proof that 3 ports are just as fast...example by Andrew of AE @ Kuching and Michael of Serpent @ Thailand.
No comments ! Michael's engine was simply ballistic ! I guess as powerful or even more powerful than any modified 5 port engines out there. Apparently, it's a MS prototype engine. He gave that same engine away (completely new of course) with Centax 3 clutch installed and complete with inline pipe at the lucky draw at the dinner on the last day of the Serpent Asia Challenge in Thailand. Damn. That lucky Singapore bugger !
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by ISKANDAR
we as a sarawakian.we r 100% agreed with what tp is explaining the way to enjoy rc.from the way he is in the rc ,i know he enjoy the rc.one thing for sure as i notice during the race.all the good driver just keeping quiet and preparing thier car for the next heat n the rest for too free to walk around making comment.
i really hope that one day, for those who making strong comment on the organizer will become an event organizer one day.i think the event they organized will be a 100 % one.
so ,do enjoy the rc and make less comment.
I just had a discussion with bulldog, after what he told me and I do agree with him that the Asean was bad on the organising side, the race itself was ok. Very unfortunate that some non-racers occupied table and chair at the expense of the racer (where they actually paid to race in the event), I think the organiser should not let this happen. Racers pit must be cordone off and nobody other than the racers and their pitman are allowed to prevent unforeseen problems i.e. theft

I really hope with such a great title 'Asean race' being put on the race, small problems like this should not happen. Of course unexpected problem may arise and can be forgiven.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Hard to say... I believe it's more like RM 50 less expensive only.

No comments ! Michael's engine was simply ballistic ! I guess as powerful or even more powerful than any modified 5 port engines out there. Apparently, it's a MS prototype engine. He gave that same engine away (completely new of course) with Centax 3 clutch installed and complete with inline pipe at the lucky draw at the dinner on the last day of the Serpent Asia Challenge in Thailand. Damn. That lucky Singapore bugger !
I think you are right, only slightly cheaper. let's have a 3 port racelar, some of the guys still have their GS 3 port engines (pink heatsink head). Not as fast as nova but heck its fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.