which engine to get?

Old 12-16-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Addict

which engine to get?

Hi all, i need advice on which engine to buy? Just got a new MTX-3, and deciding between NSR5 or RB v12. Pros & Cons between these two? Im looking for strong performance, but also reliability and ease of tuning.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OS TRP-T
Old 12-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: which engine to get?

I don't know for sure but I hear engine gurus say that the NS (or the NSR for that matter) has better crank window timings than the V12 crank.

In any case, both engines should be the same as both are reliable engines and they actually come from the same Novarossi factory.

Forgot to mention that the NSR comes with the upgraded piston material. Not sure if the V12 includes one...
Old 12-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by spawn
OS TRP-T
Easy for you to say when you already have the NSR !

Or did you get the OS in SG?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Easy for you to say when you already have the NSR !

Or did you get the OS in SG?
no OS for me.... I just like pullstart engines. The novas are pretty hard to tune for beginners. More difficult when the weather is cranky.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Tech Prophet

no OS for me.... I just like pullstart engines. The novas are pretty hard to tune for beginners. More difficult when the weather is cranky.
Yeah yeah yeah, use a pullstart engine and bitch about it not being able to overtake other cars...

Well, it is quite simple actually. Obey the rules, learn and understand how the engine works, follow the engine tuning guidelines, do some testings on your own and before you know it, you will be able to tune engines yourself.

Once this is done, you rarely have to do major tuning on the carb needles as the engine will always run right when the tank and fuel tubing is good and not leaking and the carb is also not leaking.

When weather changes, I only do plus minus 5 or 10 minute changes to the carb needles when required.

Oh yes, last weekend, I timed the duration for a full tank at Titiwangsa and at Atria to be a full 9 minutes ! Perhaps it's the larger pinions that I was using...
Old 12-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah yeah yeah, use a pullstart engine and bitch about it not being able to overtake other cars...

Well, it is quite simple actually. Obey the rules, learn and understand how the engine works, follow the engine tuning guidelines, do some testings on your own and before you know it, you will be able to tune engines yourself.

Once this is done, you rarely have to do major tuning on the carb needles as the engine will always run right when the tank and fuel tubing is good and not leaking and the carb is also not leaking.

When weather changes, I only do plus minus 5 or 10 minute changes to the carb needles when required.

Oh yes, last weekend, I timed the duration for a full tank at Titiwangsa and at Atria to be a full 9 minutes ! Perhaps it's the larger pinions that I was using...
not fair mah, I use 3 port other use 5 port turbo and some also modified. Anyway I enjoy driving the car.

I ran 9 minutes at S2 too but not on race day! but I didnt run out of fuel. If you dont push as hard like in a race, you will be able to run longer. I rarely adjust my engine too unlike others who I have seen. I think their starter box motor also burn....
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 AM
Tech Prophet

not fair mah, I use 3 port other use 5 port turbo and some also modified. Anyway I enjoy driving the car.
Then fix your NSR lah !

I ran 9 minutes at S2 too but not on race day! but I didnt run out of fuel.
Perhaps your tank is suspect !
Old 12-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

Thanks people! My car should be done by this Friday, hopefully can test it at Glenmarie on Sat morning. Maybe you guys can teach me a few pointers on how to setup the car & engine? hehe.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Devil666
Thanks people! My car should be done by this Friday, hopefully can test it at Glenmarie on Sat morning. Maybe you guys can teach me a few pointers on how to setup the car & engine? hehe.
Where did you get your car from? You should look up Lord of the Cows. He should be hearding around at Glenmarie. I can PM his number to you too if you want.

Best part is he has a brand spanking new Hudy setup tool that you can borrow. All for free !
Old 12-16-2003, 02:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Naaah, just joking.

Seriously, if you need any help in setting the car up, you can always go to Atria. On Sunday afternoons, we play at the car park. On Saturday mornings or afternoons, we can play anywhere between Andalas, Titiwangsa or Glemnarie tracks. So for updates on weekly schedules where the cows will be hearding, look up the Atria Speedway thread.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Where did you get your car from? You should look up Lord of the Cows. He should be hearding around at Glenmarie. I can PM his number to you too if you want.

Best part is he has a brand spanking new Hudy setup tool that you can borrow. All for free !
Always bitching about me ... sheeesh
Old 12-16-2003, 02:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Devil666
Keep the car stock ... then get used to it, after that do the adjustments one at a time, don't make a few changes at one time la ...

PM me if you want to make arrangements for this Saturday. Can see you there if you like ... look for a nice PINK Mugen that will be out to wreck anything in its path ... cars, poles, walls etc.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by tIANcI
look for a nice PINK Mugen that will be out to wreck anything in its path ... cars, poles, walls etc.
Eh, talk about pink... Is he driving a Swedish Volvo S60 bodyshell on the MTX-3 or the NTC3 by any chance?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

Eh, talk about pink... Is he driving a Swedish Volvo S60 bodyshell on the MTX-3 or the NTC3 by any chance?
[email protected]*rd la you ... really below the belt. Hahahaa ... he is actually still with the Stratus that he has successfully kept together in one piece by using zip ties and then now gaffa tape!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service