Novice races

Old 08-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Lightbulb Novice races

Just a little question for everyone. We knnow that racing is really for the pros now as you always see the same old faces. Like in Andalas about 50% DNQ, that is so sad for the hobby.

I mean we do not run according to EFRA, IMFAR and ROAR rules, anything goes at the moment as far as engines are concerned. This would mean that at most racers the people who are in this long enough with a fair amount of money to spend will be competitive. Like the problems faced by F1, escalating costs.

Who would like to see more races for us novices or semi-pro drivers? Let's see what you all have to say.

I mean a race that costs about like RM50-RM80 (with a bloody good lunch!) and controlled to a certain extent (e.g. minimum weight, touring car body only and SOREX tires). In this event engine power will not mean much, imagine a Rody Roem with SOREX.

Anyone interested?
Old 08-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As a beginner i also understand ur feeling completely.All that money just to be 'as fast' as them..sigh...that's why i just run around at Yokomo track,not so obvious(altho if both on the straights,very obvious).
i would love to join a controlled race for nitro,but ppl who spend a lot might not want to join ur race..
one of the reasons i still fall back to EP is te more organized race structures.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Novice races

Originally posted by tIANcI
Just a little question for everyone. We knnow that racing is really for the pros now as you always see the same old faces. Like in Andalas about 50% DNQ, that is so sad for the hobby.

I mean we do not run according to EFRA, IMFAR and ROAR rules, anything goes at the moment as far as engines are concerned. This would mean that at most racers the people who are in this long enough with a fair amount of money to spend will be competitive. Like the problems faced by F1, escalating costs.

Who would like to see more races for us novices or semi-pro drivers? Let's see what you all have to say.

I mean a race that costs about like RM50-RM80 (with a bloody good lunch!) and controlled to a certain extent (e.g. minimum weight, touring car body only and SOREX tires). In this event engine power will not mean much, imagine a Rody Roem with SOREX.

Anyone interested?
I suggested something like that before but no response. I am not going to participate any big races until I can improve my skills unless they have a novice category. In fact I dont mind spending on a 3 port std engine or some engine which is controlled and not modifications allowed. No rules on engine races are getting out of hand. I can't afford to spend so much on mod engines. Why not asking mr Thomas T to start a novice controlled race and we will support him. Maybe use the GS or AE 3 port engine but any car.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Novice races

Anyone interested?

Btw, how was the race @ Andalas man? Any fun? Damn, wished I could've gone for the race, had to lug my ass all the way to Jakarta for work.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the sucky part about the 'any engine' rule is that ONLY 12 size engines are allowed.
it really means : spend more,spend more,buy Rody/JP/M-Speed...dont buy standard....
i wish that they would allow really 'any engine',then i'd save myself of all the troubles and just get a 15CVR.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Default Atria Novice Race

I think Mr Thomas T will have a race in December. He has always stated that it is best to ensure that novices get to enjoy the race organised and also to have things like lucky draw for everyone to enjoy. I am sure there will be one in Nov/Dec, let's all pester him!!!

Anyways, I am only keen to join races where the cash prize is small, then you know the 'cari makan' kaki will not be there and there is a chance to have fun fun fun!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

actually, stock races are meant for every1.... not only pros but oso beginners......

tot yokomo track do once in a while organise stock races rite??

cya
Old 09-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Rookie

whatever race you want I can organise for u tell me more thing u nwant
Old 09-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Windtalkers, Yokomo only does electrics. They have no interests in nitro due to the sales of their cars and parts I guess. Wish they would just do one for us nitro cars. I mean we don't really care for the money, its just the fun of a day out right?

Thomas T, are you sure you are THE Thomas T at Atria, hahahahaa ...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

oic... tot u were talking abt EP.....
well do fully agree wif u that local nitro races are all "open"..... except for being 12 size engine......

in such case, a beginner could hardly benefit from such race other than "DNQ" most of the time, unless u put in a super horse powered engine and stuffs which could costs a bomb at times..... same goes to the EP side too.... (except for stock class).

in nitro races, there ain't a stock class, unless the organiser specifically controll the specs eg. 12size, max 3 port engine n so forth......

well, would u consider joining the EP category then, u'll learn the rope easier than GP..... just some tot....

enjoy.....

Windtalkers, Yokomo only does electrics. They have no interests in nitro due to the sales of their cars and parts I guess. Wish they would just do one for us nitro cars. I mean we don't really care for the money, its just the fun of a day out right?

Thomas T, are you sure you are THE Thomas T at Atria, hahahahaa ...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

tianci,

sometimes, it's also lotsa fun from watching the race instead of joining..... u'll learn lotsa from observation or some small chat wif the racers tooo... if they r friendly.....ehehehe

so good luck.....
Old 09-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Windtalkers
in such case, a beginner could hardly benefit from such race other than "DNQ" most of the time, unless u put in a super horse powered engine and stuffs which could costs a bomb at times..... same goes to the EP side too.... (except for stock class).

in nitro races, there ain't a stock class, unless the organiser specifically controll the specs eg. 12size, max 3 port engine n so forth......
Windtalkers,

If you are in the hobby long enough, you should realized by now that having a "Super Horsepower Engine" and "Stuff that cost a Bomb" wouldn't make you win races. Having saying this about GP, On the other hand, i would definitely agreed with you on the EP scene though

The reason i said this is because the greatest mistake most beginners made is thinking that with all the hop up, option parts and a super duper engine they could win races without first polishing up their skill.

GP is a lot different from EP, as the power difference between a modified engine and a stock engine of the same class is not that great as compared to EP Production and Hand Modified motors.

When you compare a stock 0S 12 tr engine (35000RPM) say, to a Rody 5Port(38000~40000Rpms) the difference is about 3000~5000 rpms. Whereas in EP, a stock motor 23T (28000Rpms) to a Hand Mod 6T (45000~48000Rpms) you get a difference of about 17000~20000Rpms.

I mentioned Rpms here is because this is what we can measured easily and this is related to the actual HP (don't believe in the crap HP the manufacturer is claiming).

Therefore in GP, driving skill plays a greater role than all the hopups, option parts and super duper engine upgrade that most people or beginners are misleaded to believe in.......
Old 09-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Windtalkers
I think you might be mis-informed, there is a stock class race for GP, its the GS Close Race just like the tamiya race, But better, you can only run the GS 3 port engine here (Red head),

No modifications of engine allowed, as the race manager/organizers will inspect the engine after the mains.

The only open items here is the body shell and tyres. everything else have to be GS.

So in this competition, you will be pitting your skill against other, and not your engine power.

There are many 1/10 GS on-road closed Races around. Almost 1 every month.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by x_man
When you compare a stock 0S 12 tr engine (35000RPM) say, to a Rody 5Port(38000~40000Rpms) the difference is about 3000~5000 rpms. Whereas in EP, a stock motor 23T (28000Rpms) to a Hand Mod 6T (45000~48000Rpms) you get a difference of about 17000~20000Rpms.
Ahhh, talking about HP and RPMs is one thing. Torque is another This applies for both EP and GP
Old 09-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Ahhh, talking about HP and RPMs is one thing. Torque is another This applies for both EP and GP
I am just stating an example lah!, i would confused windtalkers if i compare HP of Engines to the KW of motors.

Yes, Torque is also common for comparison for engines and motors, but i doubt beginners will know how to calculate them. So the most common thing here is the rpms.

Yup, rpm is actually link to HP, as the Capacity of these engine is constant. So the higher compression and rpm that can be squeeze out from these engine are translated to HP.

The Torque is actually very much dependent on the distance of your conrod pin to the centre of the crankweb and the also compression of the engine . The further the distance the greater the torque (torque moment). Thats why Long stroke engines have more torque then short stroke engine, but the trade off is a less lively engine(less revvy), short stroke engines made up for this by being high revving and responsive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service