Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novice races

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Wind - I agree that you need HP to win as the top drivers are all into that. I mean HP does not make you win but even if you were good you cannot compare with them. That is why IFMAR ROAR and EFRA keeps it to 3 ports and they are so stringent. They will check weight, engines, fuel etc!!! Here, for some races some NTC3 have been running without a tank plug, they got like extra fuel and it is not 75ml or whatever. The races know of it but they do not give a shitz. This is absurd and it has to be controlled to ensure that the hobby has newcomers.

I am not into EP, love the sound of the engines to be honest but I must admit driving a EP is not easy at all. I tried it a few times and its hard to be steady on the controls. I used to follow EP cars to learnt he lines.

InitialD - you know what happened to many people at Andalas ... about 50% DNQ right I mean I am sure if the engines were opened up there will be many top drivers with "korek" engines!

What skill can be measure against when we do not have the chance to race on a balanced playing field. Controlled races for GP is the answer.

I would say ban the RR Massimos and JP Blacks, just stock 5 ports since we cannot buy good 3 ports easily. Marshalls will have to weight cars, inspect engines, fuel and also body shell sizes etc!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by tIANcI
Wind - I agree that you need HP to win as the top drivers are all into that. I mean HP does not make you win but even if you were good you cannot compare with them. That is why IFMAR ROAR and EFRA keeps it to 3 ports and they are so stringent. They will check weight, engines, fuel etc!!! Here, for some races some NTC3 have been running without a tank plug, they got like extra fuel and it is not 75ml or whatever. The races know of it but they do not give a shitz. This is absurd and it has to be controlled to ensure that the hobby has newcomers.

I am not into EP, love the sound of the engines to be honest but I must admit driving a EP is not easy at all. I tried it a few times and its hard to be steady on the controls. I used to follow EP cars to learnt he lines.

InitialD - you know what happened to many people at Andalas ... about 50% DNQ right I mean I am sure if the engines were opened up there will be many top drivers with "korek" engines!

What skill can be measure against when we do not have the chance to race on a balanced playing field. Controlled races for GP is the answer.

I would say ban the RR Massimos and JP Blacks, just stock 5 ports since we cannot buy good 3 ports easily. Marshalls will have to weight cars, inspect engines, fuel and also body shell sizes etc!
Ah, Yes!, Should play it fair and square!,

But talking about IFMAR and ROAR regulations, they actually allows modifications to the 3 ports as long as it conforms to their specifications like the carb size, crankshaft size and exhaust port height.

From my experience, a IFMAR Spec modified 3 port engine is almost as fast as a 5 port outlaw engine if not faster.

Have you ever measured the area of side inlet ports of the 3 port engine? Is is actually bigger than that of a 5 port engine when both ports put together at both sides.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Marshalls will have to weight cars, inspect engines, fuel and also body shell sizes etc!
This has been discussed before... Or at least I have mentioned this somewhere. Organizers here do not give two hoots about detailed rules and regulations. Firstly, you need to be very proficient in applying all the rules on bodyshell dimensions and engine internal regulations. Nobody around here is that technical enough to execute post race tech. If they were, they are busy racing for themselves. Organizers? They are only interested in making money

We are still a long way towards implementing international standards...
Old 09-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by x_man
From my experience, a IFMAR Spec modified 3 port engine is almost as fast as a 5 port outlaw engine if not faster.
Oh yes... I'll take a legal modified 3 port engine instead of an ordinary 5 port engine anyday
Old 09-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

I have to say it is utter bullshit (not you but the organisers), we can easily implement the IFMAR rules and modify it a bit to suit us, e.g. 5 ports. All the rules are available online (of which I know you know). It is the Malaysian attitude, the way we do things and the way most hobbyist drive at races. Its more like demolition derby than a 1/10 hobby car race.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
This has been discussed before... Or at least I have mentioned this somewhere. Organizers here do not give two hoots about detailed rules and regulations. Firstly, you need to be very proficient in applying all the rules on bodyshell dimensions and engine internal regulations. Nobody around here is that technical enough to execute post race tech. If they were, they are busy racing for themselves. Organizers? They are only interested in making money

We are still a long way towards implementing international standards...
Yeah! if they follows the Ifmar and Roar regulations strictly, then we won't be racing in our so-called international itsy-bitsy tiny weenie tracks. We will be running our cars in long straights and big sweepers and not to mentioned world class chicanes.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Agree with you... Money is the root cause of all RC evils Malaysia BOLEH !
Old 09-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by x_man
Yeah! if they follows the Ifmar and Roar regulations strictly, then we won't be racing in our so-called international itsy-bitsy tiny weenie tracks. We will be running our cars in long straights and big sweepers and not to mentioned world class chicanes.
You got that right... I am always wondering how is it like to race on their nice flowing high speed tracks. The pics of their tracks will make any RC enthusiast salivate
Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Xman, it is not about having the big tracks like that they have in US and Eurpope. If we cannot even get the spirit of the racing right then what hope do we have about big tracks.

We do have big enough tracks in KL/Selangor at present. I mean Andalas itself is a lovely track for racing and playing. I love the one in Jln Kebun, not so glamorous but fun nonetheless.

This is bitching time, look at TT, the 1/8 people act like gods there, they will run the 1/10 over w/o hesitation. Then you have some teams who will drive like mad men let alone learn to race in a pack. Who cares about driving, its just bull dozing. What we need to do is to start havin organised races where marshalls will disqualify cars who run into others, if it is not a racing accident.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
You got that right... I am always wondering how is it like to race on their nice flowing high speed tracks. The pics of their tracks will make any RC enthusiast salivate
Only two words to describe this - "High and Climax"
Old 09-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

I am going to go to Europe and run a car there then let you know all about it whilst I know you are salivating!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Tech Prophet

We do have big enough tracks in KL/Selangor at present. I mean Andalas itself is a lovely track for racing and playing. I love the one in Jln Kebun, not so glamorous but fun nonetheless.
Please... Tracks in Europe will make our local tracks (be it Andalas or Seremban 2) look like kids play. I agree that they are among the best in the country but no where close to those tracks. Don't need to look that far. Take a look at our neighbours in Thailand and Indonesia... Australia has some beautiful tracks too

What we need to do is to start havin organised races where marshalls will disqualify cars who run into others, if it is not a racing accident.
Yup, this is also what I find lacking in races
Old 09-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Looks like I will be arranging my holiday for Indonesia, Thailand and then Australia ... wonder how to carry my Nitro Blast on the flight ... hahahaha ...
Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Prophet

I am going to go to Europe and run a car there then let you know all about it whilst I know you are salivating!!!
I have actually seriously thought about the idea (of running my GP car in the EU tracks for the fun of it). I came to the conclusion that it is not possible with all the restrictions in the air travel... Running EP may be possible as there are lesser tools. Furthermore with GP, you need to get the fuel over there and with different climatic changes, you need to change plug too.... Arrrgh, engine tuning... Too much hassle.

Also, do you think they will let you run your "illegal" car there? Most will disallow 5 port engines and you need to confirm to IFMAR standards to be able to run the car there. Well, if you have a friend who has a club membership (it is usually like that in order to be able to run on their tracks), you chances may be more real.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

That is a tough one now ... I will have to make friends with a club member of the track but then I am sure they can let us just run the car even if it is 'illegal' not that we are racing. If so serious the I have to buy a nice EFRA legal 3 port since I will spend like over RM10,000 just to go there and play car!!! Hahahahaha ... talk so big huh?

Why not organise a trip to Indo/Thailand, if Thailand then can make a stopover in Phuket ... that's life man! Bali anyone???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.