Newbies! Post Your Questions Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbies! Post Your Questions Here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Will thin tyres cos our engine to over heat?? If it does ..... why??? Does our engine need to work very hard when the tyres are getting thinner?? Is this the cos of engine overheating?
Partly Yes!

Actually your engine will be lighter and feel more powerful when your tyres wear down

Also your car will be slower due to the decrease diameter of the tyre, so you will have to throttle more to make up for this decrease in speed and hence the engine will rev more, over-rev and overheats.

i notice a lots of people tune the high speed needle when the car is on the stand. This is not recommended, as this will over rev the engine and in-accurate. the best way is to tune the engine on the track itself.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by x_man
i notice a lots of people tune the high speed needle when the car is on the stand. This is not recommended, as this will over rev the engine and in-accurate. the best way is to tune the engine on the track itself.
Yes, it is not recommend to tune the HSN on the starter box. I do it myself but just to get a ball park needle setting to tune the LSN so that the engine does not die off. It's difficult to get the engine running when you're tuning from rich to lean settings. Of course, you should not tune the HSN to the max as the wheels are on free load.

Once I get those ball park needle settings, I test it on track and tune the HSN further to see if at the longest straights if the engine can hit the high note easy. Once I get that, I tune the LSN so that I get the hardest launch from standstill. But usually, I don't tune the LSN to a lot leaner as I like it to be a little rich on the low end, just enough so that the engine does not flame out. I let the gearing and clutch setup handle the car's pickup. This is because, on a high speed run when the engine is starved from lubrication at high rpm, you will want the engine to immediately get some lubrication when the throttle closes and when the engine goes back to idling.

Of course, all this must take into account the engine temperature limitations
Old 07-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

of cos it's not easy to just read and then be able to drive quickly..otherwise with all the reading ive made,i should be a world champ by now..
matter of fact , practice makes perfect.i'm looking for practice
Old 07-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gettin the right gears

Since this thread is for noobie can u veteran rc racers advise on gettin the right gears n how much is the price of the gears. i guess this is important before the noobies get sembelih by some of the LHS.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Gettin the right gears

Originally posted by kimi
Since this thread is for noobie can u veteran rc racers advise on gettin the right gears n how much is the price of the gears. i guess this is important before the noobies get sembelih by some of the LHS.
what car do you run?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Gettin the right gears

Originally posted by kimi
Do you mean how to select and choose gearing for a particular car?

First, you need to watch the car and more importantly, listen to the engine on the longest straights
Old 07-30-2003, 01:31 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by x_man
...the best way is to tune the engine on the track itself.
Also best to have only 1/2 tank of fuel in tank when tuning.

Having full tank or near empty can affect the amt of fuel reaching the carb; best to tune for mid-point.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:32 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
website which I also find it quite detailed. It's entitled, Tamiya Basic Driving Skills
adoi! That stuff all pirated straight from Tamiya RC Guidebook... I wonder if they got permission...
Old 07-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default hahahh

Guys, what i meant by gears r actually the stuffs needed to play rc n the market price, say how much is a set of wheels, what kind of tools needed to setup the car etc, how much is a set of batteries, what type of things to look out for.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by WC
Also best to have only 1/2 tank of fuel in tank when tuning.

Having full tank or near empty can affect the amt of fuel reaching the carb; best to tune for mid-point.
Ummm, never thought of that. But then again, most cars should not have any tank problems be it full or half tank or near empty... except maybe an NTC3
Old 07-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, never thought of that. But then again, most cars should not have any tank problems be it full or half tank or near empty... except maybe an NTC3
I think the NTC3 problem is only when you use the K-factory tank. I still use the std kit tank which is good and no tuning problem. K-factory = so-so only. Also if use k-factory with rdlogic = more problem with tuning......
Old 07-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

This is a tip a got from some GURUs around JB. I believe can be used on any cars

We should not tighten our fuel tank to the car too tightly. We should secure the tanks just at the right tightness so there is a little free play in our tanks.

What i know is this will prevent the fuel tank from over vibration and cos bubbles forming inside the fuel tank. This in turn will cos insufficient fuel into the carb and in the end ..... engine overheating
Old 07-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

or what u can do is use O-rings to dampen the screws above and below the mount.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

True! Adding o-rings to the screws on the fuel tanks can overcome this problems. This o-rings will work by absorbing alot of vibration cos by the car. It is not 100% effective, but at least it is better then nothing
Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

If you do not have o-rings available you can use the fuel tube i.e cut few pieces about 2-3 mm each and install it accordingly

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.