Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Tech

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Default Sirio engines - Retainer clip

A word of caution to anyone running sirio,

When you replace the piston and liner set, always change to a new set of piston pin retainer clips. The original one will give way and damage the new p/s set!, most probably due to material fatigue from the twisting and pulling to dislodge it from the piston.

This is one lesson learnt.

When i replace the new p/s set, due to the same problem on the original set,(retainer clip broke off during the straights) i overlook the existing small little clip and replace the one that broke off. In other words the new p/s set is installed with one new clip in the front and existing one at the rear.

Running in the new p/s set at low temp 60~80deg show no problems. But only when the temp of the engine is tuned at 110~120deg then the existing retainer clip broke off again!

I assumed it is due to the material fatique further soften from the heat it is exposed to (piston temp may reached up to 160~200deg) and my advise is, Always change the retainer clip when changing new P/S set, be it Sirio or any other engines just to play safe. The nova ones are good, but could be quite difficult to remove when install in a sirio as there is no access slot in the piston surface.

And this is quite an expensive lesson. Cost me 2 set of Sirio Piston/Sleeve.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

Originally posted by x_man
And this is quite an expensive lesson. Cost me 2 set of Sirio Piston/Sleeve.
I feel for you... I had one experience similar to that. This is on a Nova P/S. On a MS NovaMega engine at that. Took the clip off to check the wrist pin and used the same one back in. I guess the pin could have jumped off the hole or it broke. A very deep groove resulted in the inner sleeve and piston.

BTW, are you using the latest Sirio EVO 2 engine with the 3 needle carb? How much would a Sirio P/S cost? I might want to try the Sirio as my next engine if parts are cheaper.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

Originally posted by InitialD
I feel for you... I had one experience similar to that. This is on a Nova P/S. On a MS NovaMega engine at that. Took the clip off to check the wrist pin and used the same one back in. I guess the pin could have jumped off the hole or it broke. A very deep groove resulted in the inner sleeve and piston.

BTW, are you using the latest Sirio EVO 2 engine with the 3 needle carb? How much would a Sirio P/S cost? I might want to try the Sirio as my next engine if parts are cheaper.
The three needle carb, well 4 if the idle screw is taken into account. The Sirio p/s AAC construction is somewhere around RM290~300, it is said last longer than the ABC construction, but don't really know about that coz mine died a premature death!

BTW the powerband takes sometime in getting used to as the low range is not a explosive as a Mega or Nova, but when it reaches the mid or high range this engine blows the other unmodified 5P engines away!

After slight modification and replacement of o rings in the carb (original o rings leak due to hardening), tuning wise is very much like nova.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

The three needle carb, well 4 if the idle screw is taken into account. The Sirio p/s AAC construction is somewhere around RM290~300, it is said last longer than the ABC construction, but don't really know about that coz mine died a premature death!
That's close to RM 100 cheaper than the Nova cousins... How much is the engine itself? I reckon you have the 5+3 port Sirio engine with the blue heatsink?

BTW the powerband takes sometime in getting used to as the low range is not a explosive as a Mega or Nova, but when it reaches the mid or high range this engine blows the other unmodified 5P engines away!
Cool. I guess it'll benefit cars with higher 1st gear internal drive ratio. Still, it is possible to take advantage of the engine powerband towards the higher RPM range.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

That's close to RM 100 cheaper than the Nova cousins... How much is the engine itself? I reckon you have the 5+3 port Sirio engine with the blue heatsink?
The 5+2 ports with blue heatsink to be exact. This engine is cheaper than the Nova NS5.

Cool. I guess it'll benefit cars with higher 1st gear internal drive ratio. Still, it is possible to take advantage of the engine powerband towards the higher RPM range.
Should be ballastic on the 710! Given it's inherent lightweight, the pickup shouldn't be that much of a difference from a nova. This is more noticeable in a heavy car like the V1rr Evo.
BTW, the exhaust porting allows more flow than the current Novas so i assumed it can produce more rpms and power at mid and higher range. This is the reason why it is a bit sluggish at the lower range.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

The 5+2 ports with blue heatsink to be exact. This engine is cheaper than the Nova NS5.
Cheaper? Around RM 6xx, 7xx or 8xx?

This is the reason why it is a bit sluggish at the lower range.
Ummm, would a pipe with a smaller stinger diameter help in this case for bottom end?
Old 02-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

Cheaper? Around RM 6xx, 7xx or 8xx?
Around RM6XX.

Ummm, would a pipe with a smaller stinger diameter help in this case for bottom end?
Then you will lose out on the top end, restricting the air flow. For me, i am using a kyosho pipe around 6.0mm stinger.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

Around RM6XX.
You're referring to Malaysian sources right? Not in SG I hope...

For me, i am using a kyosho pipe around 6.0mm stinger.
The dark grey two piece pipe? What pipe length are you at? I hear that the Sirios like long pipes.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

You're referring to Malaysian sources right? Not in SG I hope...
JB.

The dark grey two piece pipe? What pipe length are you at? I hear that the Sirios like long pipes.
The inline hard pipe. Works great with the Sirio. Heard that the Sirio pipe is good too.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sirio engines - Retainer clip

The inline hard pipe. Works great with the Sirio. Heard that the Sirio pipe is good too.
Any pic of this pipe?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default test

Originally Posted by tIANcI
I believe Rossi and NovaRossi are very different engine manufacturers! Hahahaaa ...
test