Tamiya in Malaysia

Old 07-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs down Tamiya in Malaysia

Just went to Toysity just now during lunch time coz it was along my way to office. Noticed that they were selling 3pk, 3pdf, T-maxx and lots of tamiya and cen rc.

I got ashock when I saw the T-maxx selling for 4599! are they crazy or what, if you order from overseas also not so expensive. For this price I can buy a Dominator Extreme with 3 pk with some spare money to upgrade the dominator somemore. I donno how much the 3 pk cost but I bet is not less than 2.5k. Also saw the .21 cen that uses the 3 belt system similar to V1s. Going for about 1.7k According to the claims, it can going up to 120kmh. Parts are also expensive, a pair of arms cost 99.90 unless there is something wrong with my spec!, more expensive than the expensive serpent, Manifold 99.90, flywheel 69.90, bulkhead 99.90, spur 25.90. Look like they are either going for the kill or going to be killed themselves . I have yet to see anyone running cen at titiwangsa or any race. Must be pretty expensive to run a cen.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Yup, 3PK was selling there for about RM 2k++ if I'm not mistaken. That was before which is about early this year. I think they noticed how oxymoron it was for them to sell it at that price when the other RC shops in KL/PJ were selling it for nearly half the price !! Lately I thought I saw the price went down to RM 1.5... To good to be true? Guess what servos they bundled the 3PK with? Two Futaba S3003 servos Low and behold. I shivered at the thought of what if they provided the HRS 3PK version

Well, you can still find people running Cen at Titiwangsa. Lets just say that they are running it at a not so serious level

There was actually a funny incident about Cen and Titiwangsa. I was there one Saturday morning at about 9 am and happened to notice that they were 2 guys from Daisheng at the pit tables with the Cen car. Don't know if you were there at that time to notice this also. They were easily spotted wearing the Tamiya T shirts. Well, it was a crowded weekends with about 15 or more cars at one go... Anyway, after a few good runs, I packed and planned to call it a day. That was about noon. On the way to the parking lot, I saw them still there at the pit tables. I stopped to look around what they actually had with them. It was the Cen cars alright but not one of them went on the track that day It was funny. They were sitting there and toying the car around as if they were planning to run the car. I was told by a friend of mine who stayed back that they were there shortly after and packed their things and left the track... I didn't know they had Cen factory drivers

Ummm, I think this will turn out to be a Tamiya in Malaysia bashing forum
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Well I am not bashing the products they are selling but just that the price they are selling. It is outrageous and indecent. I think the cen cars are good for beginners or part time hobbier if they sell it at the 700-800 range. Arms for 99.90 come on.

3pk with 3003! Might as well just sell it without servos.

In fact to think of it my first real rc car was a tamiya. I really loved it but had problems finding parts for it so had to decommission it. My Grasshopper is even better, got it from a friend for a token! bash the thing until it could not move anymore . I still like tamiya cars for bashing esp. their buggies, trucks and they look like the real ones too. Too bad its too expensive here. I also wanted to buy a f103 but realised that I will have problems with parts so no do. I had a f103 a very long time ago and hell it was a blast to drive and handful to control it. Where to buy tires for f103?? In Singapore they were plenty of them, cheap ones were going for less than SGD15 a pair.

I also remember that when the first TRF414 was launch, the local shop here priced it a 4k!. Good luck to them. Probably can sell it at that price 15 year from now.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD

Well, you can still find people running Cen at Titiwangsa. Lets just say that they are running it at a not so serious level

There was actually a funny incident about Cen and Titiwangsa. I was there one Saturday morning at about 9 am and happened to notice that they were 2 guys from Daisheng at the pit tables with the Cen car. Don't know if you were there at that time to notice this also. They were easily spotted wearing the Tamiya T shirts. Well, it was a crowded weekends with about 15 or more cars at one go... Anyway, after a few good runs, I packed and planned to call it a day. That was about noon. On the way to the parking lot, I saw them still there at the pit tables. I stopped to look around what they actually had with them. It was the Cen cars alright but not one of them went on the track that day It was funny. They were sitting there and toying the car around as if they were planning to run the car. I was told by a friend of mine who stayed back that they were there shortly after and packed their things and left the track... I didn't know they had Cen factory drivers

Ummm, I think this will turn out to be a Tamiya in Malaysia bashing forum
Errr cant really remember. I will now be more observant and will chat with those Tamiya Cen guys if they are there and ask them to run together! . My skills soso but I think it gonna be fun.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:50 AM
GT1
Tech Apprentice

Everyone know toycity will cut your throats
Old 07-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have talk to some of the cen owner, and they said when they buy the car, the Tamiya guys told them not to play at Titiwangsa..?? hmmm I wonder why..?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by goodspeed
I have talk to some of the cen owner, and they said when they buy the car, the Tamiya guys told them not to play at Titiwangsa..?? hmmm I wonder why..?
Well, there are actually obvious reasons not to play at Titiwangsa if you're just starting out. Firstly, frequency glitch. The Tx/Rx provided with the Cen kit utilises 27 MHz band. Using this on the Titiwangsa track is just asking for trouble. Also if you do not have experience, you may accidently and unknowingly switch on your radio while another guy with the same frequency is playing

The other thing is that Titiwangsa is a very dangerous track if you're not good yet with the car. The regulars there are very fast and being a beginner, you may endanger the other cars as well as your car too. Besides, there are times when 1/8th scale cars come into the track. That could spell even more trouble. But nowadays, there is some kind of unwritten understanding that the 1/8th scale cars will play on Saturday and Sunday afternoons if I'm not mistaken. I don't see them anymore in the mornings.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Too bad they have reduced Tamiya to a level only Bill Gates would opt to buy!!!

They sure have spoilt the chance for Tamiya to do well in Malaysia. Surikarn won the IFMAR ITSC last year and I'm sure the sales for the TRF414M2 must have had a sudden boost worldwide EXCEPT here in Malaysia. I wonder if the Sales/Marketing guys at Tamiya HQ in Japan ever wonder why the poor movement of this kit here. The M2 is selling for a whopping rm2399!! Shocking ?, yes.
They are outta their minds!

I really don't see how this could be an intelligent business strategy

I think the car looks good and so does the TB Evo shaft drive. It would sell well if competitively priced.:

My 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

well...
tamiya stuffs r pretty xpensive in KL area bcos it seems tat the oni 1 tat carrys them is toycity...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:31 PM
KJ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just look at Toycity's renovations, inventory and work work force standing around doing nothing, who do you think is paying their overheads? That probably answers why would their pricing will never be competitive.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

We need grey importers of tamiya kits here.. so who wanna be one?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

woooooo I love the TB EVO, I nearly got 1 from Singapore but instead opt for TC3 cause I know that I will not be able to get parts at reasonable price. At that time the TB Evo was going for SGD450. Very well engineered car. I am really impressed with the quality and fit.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

well,u couldn't go wrong with the TC3 also...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hallo!!
look at my avatar dudes!!
but i sold off my Evo III 2 months ago.
to tell the truth tamiya is unparalleled when it comes to build quality.they have reached a level where their molded parts are like hand machined parts.
looking for grey importer?ME!!!!i have imported the Evo III,TA04TRF,TA04R,TA04S,and uncountable parts.
last i heard,Toycity is going to lose the importer license(or distributorship) for tamiya,really soon,bcos of their 'waterfish' strategy,which has gotten the attention of tamiya japan.
It is such a shame.i want to run a TG10R,but just as well,they are neither parts nor kaki's.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Lee: How much is the evoIII in Singapore? From Winnie?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service