Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Malaysian R/C Racers
How to know that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner? >

How to know that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner?

How to know that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default How to know that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner?

For the new face like me...maybe all the hobby shops in klang valley area might try to rip me off..(maybe)..hehhe.. So what should I do?..Should I give the list of what I want to buy and pass to someone who "sifu" in RC thingy to buy the goods for me while i'm hiding outside the shop?..hehhe..

Its quite difficult to compare from shop to shop becoz they will tell me their price are cheap but how do I know?...Maybe if I let "the sifu" who are regular customer to the shop to buy for me...maybe I might get cheaper price. ..Hemm...U dunno.... Any suggestion??? Since RC stuff..are expensive..maybe you guys have some tips to share..hehe..TQ in advance to guys..all the sifu..gurus..and anyone out there..
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by azmin
For the new face like me...maybe all the hobby shops in klang valley area might try to rip me off..(maybe)..hehhe.. So what should I do?..Should I give the list of what I want to buy and pass to someone who "sifu" in RC thingy to buy the goods for me while i'm hiding outside the shop?..hehhe..

Its quite difficult to compare from shop to shop becoz they will tell me their price are cheap but how do I know?...Maybe if I let "the sifu" who are regular customer to the shop to buy for me...maybe I might get cheaper price. ..Hemm...U dunno.... Any suggestion??? Since RC stuff..are expensive..maybe you guys have some tips to share..hehe..TQ in advance to guys..all the sifu..gurus..and anyone out there..
Hello Azmin,
You should do ur servey before approach any shop. Like ask Sifu here about thier price, or you can check the items at ebay, then top up 10-20%, that's how i check the price with LHS. At least i dont let them "chop" too much of my head.. that's my point of view, hope it helps! cheers!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yup, thats pretty much it as TKChun mentioned.

as for myself, i do a lot of research... hang around in rctech more often, go to online hobby shops and list down what u wanna buy and your budget range.

some LHS have website which have price listed too so taht u have a rough idea of their price...

if u are from PJ, there are a lot of LHS located nearby to each other. but i doubt the price will range much.

Its an expensive hobby, so LHS depends on returning customers, if there rip u off they will be on the loosing end as well.

good luck!!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

As a newcomer, best is get 2nd hand stuff........which I always do which I not plan to upgrade or race....just bashing around with buddy.........

Best is walk in and do servey. Give them the list what you want and ask them to quote you.....
Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tkhoo
As a newcomer, best is get 2nd hand stuff........which I always do which I not plan to upgrade or race....just bashing around with buddy.........

Best is walk in and do servey. Give them the list what you want and ask them to quote you.....
Wah...Sifu memang Sifu....
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

every thing is well said by tkhoo..make some survey..no harm to make survay..then as for me i started off by dropping by to TU..chee yong was
very friendly back then..(until too day)..and just say that ur a newcomer..then wanna make a survay..then jot down the price..then compare to others prices..

but getting 2nd hand is much more cheaper i guess..

best of luck in RCing..
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

wow this thread is cool, here's what I can share. If you happen to travel a lot for business, find time to visit rc shops in other countries, they sell things really cheap.

if you dont travel a lot but you do have friends in thailand or singapore, you can buy rc parts from stormer hobbies in the US and get them to ship the parcel to your friends or relatives in singapore. When your relatives visit you, get them to bring the parts along.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by azmio
wow this thread is cool, here's what I can share. If you happen to travel a lot for business, find time to visit rc shops in other countries, they sell things really cheap.

if you dont travel a lot but you do have friends in thailand or singapore, you can buy rc parts from stormer hobbies in the US and get them to ship the parcel to your friends or relatives in singapore. When your relatives visit you, get them to bring the parts along.
i am doing this kind of trade also..but it seems like goin to take a while to reach ur hands..but its TOTALLY cheap..parts from HONG KONG, CHINA, TAIWAN..wahaha..and forgetting JAPAN..
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default How to know that you are not being ripped off by the shop owner?

Thanks a lot guys..for all the friendly suggestions.. I guess..there is no EASY WAY rightt..
I did ask one shop in ATRIA..whether he could do the engine tuning if I bought second hand car from someone else..and he said..." I might not have the spare part ..and for tuning I will surely charge you..why dunt you buy a brand new?.."..hemm.. it scared me lah bro to get 2nd hand..afraid that no one will help me whenever i'm in trouble with my nitro car..BUT still..I'm hunting for one 1/8 nitro buggy for my son to keep me company when bashing during weekend...hehe. I already got mine Hyper 8 but felt that the owner sold to me at quite a high price..hemm..but since cannot tahan..I grabbed it anyway (last week)..hohohoh. Only after a few days..i realised the price I bought was a few hundres ringgit more than what it should be .i guess..i learnt the lesson already..hehhe
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

learning frm lesson is gud...its priceless..as for me i did bourght a 2nd hand car kit..and it was damn expensive(what other ppl say)..but to think again the kit is a full hopped up kit and it also comes with cool stuff..so i dont mind...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

jamal,

if you plan it well, you can get it quick. For example, I went to Detroit last 2 weeks but a week before I went there I placed a big order from Stormer hobbies and get the parcel shipped to my lawyer friend there.

The parcel arrived just before I reached there and the parcel was ready for pickup. Saved a lot of money, not having to pay 20% custom tax, no forwarding agent fee, no international shipping fee.

Even if you gonna be there for 2-3 days, you can get the parcel shipped within one day of placing the order. So you can get the parcel at your hotel
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

..and for tuning I will surely charge you..why dunt you buy a brand new?.."..

Charge you for tuning ? My LHS does it for free everytime no matter what brand After a while in RC you would most probably figure it all out.

As for your higher price of your hobao, cannot complain loo cause you agreed to the sale maa

Buying from overseas cheap? I went to the cheapest hobby shop in Netherlands carrying serpent but it is still more than what I can get locally.....exchange rates
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Thanks a lot guys..for all the friendly suggestions.. I guess..there is no EASY WAY rightt..
I did ask one shop in ATRIA..whether he could do the engine tuning if I bought second hand car from someone else..and he said..." I might not have the spare part ..and for tuning I will surely charge you..why dunt you buy a brand new?.."..hemm.. it scared me lah bro to get 2nd hand..afraid that no one will help me whenever i'm in trouble with my nitro car..BUT still..I'm hunting for one 1/8 nitro buggy for my son to keep me company when bashing during weekend...hehe. I already got mine Hyper 8 but felt that the owner sold to me at quite a high price..hemm..but since cannot tahan..I grabbed it anyway (last week)..hohohoh. Only after a few days..i realised the price I bought was a few hundres ringgit more than what it should be .i guess..i learnt the lesson already..hehhe
Bro Azmin, is sad to hear you bought 2nd hand buggy with higher price but you can't say the seller sell you high price as you can't wait already or didn't do servey before you bought. Last time I also like that as cannot tahan already and just grabbed which the price is in high side.....All is depand on the item condition.......If you feel happy on it then this is consider good buy. Some sell you very cheap but internal part like differential gear worn out where you can't see etc.
As for 2nd engine, is no worry you bought it 2nd hand as if you have problem to tune it, just drop by here and ask for help or advise......All people in this forum is happyly to help but don't flame them if they teach you wrongly as some are beginner like me......Last time I also bought 2nd hand GP touring and dunno how to tune engine and I drop by here and learn it........
I hope you enjoy your buggy and by the way, where are you from? I from Penang Island.........
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Bro Azmin, is sad to hear you bought 2nd hand buggy with higher price but you can't say the seller sell you high price as you can't wait already or didn't do servey before you bought. Last time I also like that as cannot tahan already and just grabbed which the price is in high side.....All is depand on the item condition.......If you feel happy on it then this is consider good buy. Some sell you very cheap but internal part like differential gear worn out where you can't see etc.
As for 2nd engine, is no worry you bought it 2nd hand as if you have problem to tune it, just drop by here and ask for help or advise......All people in this forum is happyly to help but don't flame them if they teach you wrongly as some are beginner like me......Last time I also bought 2nd hand GP touring and dunno how to tune engine and I drop by here and learn it........
I hope you enjoy your buggy and by the way, where are you from? I from Penang Island.........

To bro Tkhoo and DEvious17. Maybe u did not read my lines carefully..or maybe my English is bad..hehe The Hyper 8 I bought was not a second hand,...it was a brand new. BUT now I'm still looking for ANOTHER second hand buggy so I can play together with my son during weekend. Play alone not syok lahh rite!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

I'm from Selangor... Actually..I love RC car very much since I was a kid..but my parents couldnt afford it. So only a few weeks ago when I suddenly got snapped in the head..heheh...( I lost huge money in stock market recently). Then I said to myself..why not I spend a few thousand for RC..rather than loosing tenth..or hundreds..thousand in the lousy stock market..hehhehehe. IN fact I'm also trying to learn to fly heli..BUT I found out very difficult..Maybe I need to buy good heli coz they look more stable. Hemm...

Heli looks very NICE..compared to car..but the speed of CAR and the noise of nitro power engine..are MUCH better..hehehe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.