Wiki Posts
Search

EP buggies thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Kent,
I want to thank you for taking the initiative to consider this class.

For the pass few years, it's been a chicken and egg story. A bunch of people want to join in, but want to wait until there is a proper 1/10 track. The track owners want to build a dedicated track, but don't dare to do so unless they see more people playing. Some racers don't have time for regular practice sessions and can only attend the occasional race. Of course, there are no races because race organisers ask where are the people? The shops don't stock up on parts and tires because they're afraid they will get stuck on their shelves. People are afraid to buy the kits because they ask, hey where do I get parts and tires? Some drivers already have the buggies and trucks but keep them at home and play with their onroad cars instead because that's what everyone plays and because of this, it's quite likely that two people wanting to play with their EP buggies would meet at an onroad track and not even know that they share the same predicament.

Right now, there's a handful (about 6) of us who are either at SS19 or Glenmarie track either on Saturday or Sunday or both, plus a bunch of other guys who come and go. It's not big, but if we can keep it up, maybe we can get more people interested. I feel very lucky to have met them or else my buggy and truck would be sitting on a shelf at home 365 days a year.

Last edited by sim600; 12-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

when i started at 2006 i bash on my own at TT offroad track.. ppl watch enquiring. the next week 1 guy with df-03 & other with ep truck too.. since i had issues with part break on buggy too common..i gave up, the others just then dissappears...

it's just like this one started the rest will follow. if the consistency at track persist.. more be coming back as well..
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Toh, u r right. This is part of the reason why ppl give up rc so quickly...I treat this hobby as part of my lifestyle..... as i already played more than 25 years(since 1985). As these rc car is not a normal toys where u can get at pasar road.... Its enginereed to perform flawlessly and great fun to drive. This hobby is not cheap to run, eg tyres, batts, extra spare parts etc. A new comer needs supervision fron the seniors like you and sim600 n tamiya lou to guide from motor(speed), suspension set up, gear box maintain, etc. New driver will learn n fell in love in it. However, Ppl tend to leave this hobby is partly because spent unlimited $$$$$ on the broken parts. Beh Tahan....... If u maintain your car properly, go to a nice track where it design for your vehicle set up... then u will enjoy and learn all the setting that you master it.... Enjoyment is the key word..... n if u mixed with the right group, i think you will look forward every weekend bashing.... Just like me
Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

sim600 thanks for spending your precious time to rebuit the DB01 4 me 2 try out this sunday.... I really appreciate it....... But please, dont built it so nice to drive until i kena racun......
BTW i just reply a thred where all the SC truck member gather together... and i invite them to come to G.marie this sunday... hope they come n joint us....
Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

felix you got your point.. however it's not easily said than done.. in the 80's tamiya buggies are robust... even i personally saw that at hobby jaya at sg wang last time. the fever was there... when i was adult i gonna get one.. but;

it also depend on the production batch from tamiya also.. if u lucky u get one which u feel happy to bash & race everyday..for my case & others are not lucky.. else when u get wrong batch one u dump the $ hoping to cure it to be race grade. the agent surely suggest this that cause they earn more from spares...end of the day to be dissappointed after bashing again.. that's where the local agent get most of the heat from customer. after this is where ppl does give up..

with such cars many ppl got broken parts.. ok they all put their buggies aside.. end of the day organizer hardly want to do race.. due to lack of participants.. the market got tarnished.. at same time our local tamiya agent did highlight issue to upper mgmt @ jpn during biz meeting for workaround.. they start to improvise with new models.. & the perception begin to slowly change for better. when other manufacturer also coming to take the lead..

to make this happens we all play our role, same goes to the manufacturer & local agent as well.. nevertheless this had gone to past & personally i learned the hard way..

we hope for better new year 2011. more come back, the race also coming back too..
Old 12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Felix, the rebuild of your DB-01-RR is coming along nicely. I'm going to make it super nice so that you'll be broke this Christmas.

So far...
1. Diffs rebuilt. Tungsten carbide balls installed, sticker seals installed.
2. TRF shocks cleaned and filled. 30 weight oils all around.
3. Aluminium shock mounts and steel suspension balls installed.
4. Replaced front dogbones with universals.
5. Suspension arms modded to take longer shock mounting screws.
6. Suspension and drivetrain all shimmed for minimum slop.

Tonight...
1. Replace some rod ends with stiffer grey ones and reset camber.
2. Replace important screws with cap head allen screws
3. Machining you a thinner battery plate so your lipos can sit well
4. Replace knuckle ball studs with ball nut/screw combo
5. Reinstall rear body mount posts (velcro maybe not enough).

Sunday...
1. Tighten ball diffs if needed, and recheck slipper.

Oh ya, do you want me to drill holes on the chassis under your motor or leave it for now?

Future upgrades you might consider:
1. Rear universals (but need to run slightly less droop as they are a shorter than dogbones, i.e. put 1-2mm spacers under shock piston).
2. ceramic diff balls
3. TRF501X arms if you want stiff, but the DB-01 kit arms are super tough already

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Toh WL
felix you got your point.. however it's not easily said than done.. in the 80's tamiya buggies are robust... even i personally saw that at hobby jaya at sg wang last time. the fever was there... when i was adult i gonna get one.. but;

it also depend on the production batch from tamiya also.. if u lucky u get one which u feel happy to bash & race everyday..for my case & others are not lucky.. else when u get wrong batch one u dump the $ hoping to cure it to be race grade. the agent surely suggest this that cause they earn more from spares...end of the day to be dissappointed after bashing again.. that's where the local agent get most of the heat from customer. after this is where ppl does give up..

with such cars many ppl got broken parts.. ok they all put their buggies aside.. end of the day organizer hardly want to do race.. due to lack of participants.. the market got tarnished.. at same time our local tamiya agent did highlight issue to upper mgmt @ jpn during biz meeting for workaround.. they start to improvise with new models.. & the perception begin to slowly change for better. when other manufacturer also coming to take the lead..

to make this happens we all play our role, same goes to the manufacturer & local agent as well.. nevertheless this had gone to past & personally i learned the hard way..

we hope for better new year 2011. more come back, the race also coming back too..
Yes, u r right.....well we forget all the past n hope for the best.
And we wish you also come back too.......
Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sim600
Felix, the rebuild of your DB-01-RR is coming along nicely. I'm going to make it super nice so that you'll be broke this Christmas.

So far...

Tonight...

Sunday...

Oh ya, do you want me to drill holes on the chassis under your motor or leave it for now?

1. Rear universals (but need to run slightly less droop as they are a shorter than dogbones, i.e. put 1-2mm spacers under shock piston).
2. ceramic diff balls
3. TRF501X arms if you want stiff, but the DB-01 kit arms are super tough already

sim600, two things.... (1)for sure u r racuning me, (2)makes me to treat u super nice....
U think drill holes will b nicer? I'll try out 1st . million thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Can drill holes for motor cooling if you are running 7.5T or lower, but I'll leave it for now.

Do you have electronics to install in the car? receiver, servo, esc, motor.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Felix1808
Yes, u r right.....well we forget all the past n hope for the best.
And we wish you also come back too.......
yes u all can do small favour.. if u notice any new things & buggies yet to release.. just keep the thread alive.. that help a lot to decide what fits..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sim600

So far...

Tonight...

Sunday...

2. ceramic diff balls

wow...this thread become alive again...thanks to sim600 n the gang...
very syiok bashing at glenmarie?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

felix, this may help u out.. Tamiya Underground is conducting Christmas sales. All kits & parts will get 20% discount. that help u very much financially... or perhaps u can use the extra budget for more crazy stuffs on your buggy...

Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks toh 4 ur infomation... n your understanding.
I might drop by on this saturday 2 c anything that i want...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

just give them a call to confirm on the sales from which date to when..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kakaroctt
wow...this thread become alive again...thanks to sim600 n the gang...
very syiok bashing at glenmarie?
well, its not only the track that keep us syiok, its also the group that you hanging around..... Tamiya lou: funny with a special personality (esp after 6 pack of tiger), Sim600 super super nice guy, Raj with super humour monster truck and me gila gila one (also after 6 pack of tiger). We also share some experience to each other too. Its makes 6 hours feels like 2 hours.....When u having fun... times flies....

Disclaimer: It is not necessary to drink beer to having fun...... Drink water also can.
We also not responsible any RC driver who get caught on drunk driving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.