Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Malaysian R/C Racers
What happened to my radio? >

What happened to my radio?

What happened to my radio?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What happened to my radio?

Here goes, im practicing at the track everything is fine untill my car suddenly lost control. At 1st it just didn't respond to my steering input, then it slowed down, then it turns right & starts running in circles after that it runs straight again & goes full throttle. When we all realize wat happened we chased the car all over the track & finally it hit a wall & flipped over at full throttle. The engine goes bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i was so afraid the crank might pop but luckily it didn't, my rc mate able to stop the engine in time.

Here is the mystery, the battery on tx & receiver r fully charged, no one was running except me even if my frens r running no 1 clash frequency with me, i have been running around the same spot for about 3 laps untill this accident happened.

So, wat might happen to cause this? Something wrong with my radio? My car is a HPI R40, engine RB concept V15, radio Futaba MJ. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

How does the radio perform now? Can you still get the glitches repeatedly?

sllim
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe2d
Something wrong with my radio? My car is a HPI R40, engine RB concept V15, radio Futaba MJ. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Things to look into though u claim, TX and RX battery are full. When u say steering no respond means there are no communication between ur TX and RX..

Thing to ponder:
1) Maybe ur RX batts life short already or on that day batt overall dump instantly..check it out..or hv u check ur TX batt after the inccident?

2)RX its self can be the reason...electronics?we can say sometimes the electronic gone 'crazy'

3)Connection/wiring gone bad (must check)..

4)Bad Crystal?

I dunno why..but i had a feeling maybe is related to ur RX battery..becareful, start and rest it on a stool for quite a while and see what happens, ..or can i say the American's are testing their EMP weapon in Asean region on that day...

my2sen
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Could it be your menu selection is on model memory? And you accidently switch it to model memory 2? Assuming your current setting is on memory 1? Sorry if i'm wrong...Newbie still
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by seelianglim
How does the radio perform now? Can you still get the glitches repeatedly?

sllim
After the accident the radio performs fine but my car is damage so unable to test run it. The left lower arm, mounting, front roll bar, left 'dogbone' shaft, exhaust pipe are all damaged even my graphite upper deck is cracked.

Originally Posted by turbosnail
Things to look into though u claim, TX and RX battery are full. When u say steering no respond means there are no communication between ur TX and RX..

Thing to ponder:
1) Maybe ur RX batts life short already or on that day batt overall dump instantly..check it out..or hv u check ur TX batt after the inccident?

2)RX its self can be the reason...electronics?we can say sometimes the electronic gone 'crazy'

3)Connection/wiring gone bad (must check)..

4)Bad Crystal?

I dunno why..but i had a feeling maybe is related to ur RX battery..becareful, start and rest it on a stool for quite a while and see what happens, ..or can i say the American's are testing their EMP weapon in Asean region on that day...

my2sen
Both my tx rx works fine & seems still have plenty of time left after the accident infact right after I retrieve my car. Checked the crystal & wiring everything seems intact. The funny thing is it stopped, then turn on its on, then it goes full revs, like some 1 else is controlling it. Perhaps the Americans were really testing their anti-RC weapons

Originally Posted by newton9266
Could it be your menu selection is on model memory? And you accidently switch it to model memory 2? Assuming your current setting is on memory 1? Sorry if i'm wrong...Newbie still
My tx sucks doesn't have any other model memory so i don't think this is likely
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry to hear about the damage..Looks costly .

Ok, there are several reasons on why you may have experienced those glitches. I had experienced them before as well. I'll just list out those possible ones here.

1) Accidentily switching off of the transmitter ( i kena this before)
2) Battery died on receiver or transmitter (I kena this before as well) . Or could be just for a few seconds due to bad connections.
3) Frayed receiver attenna and it touches your carbon deck.
4) Cracked crystal (due to previous langgar_with_wall.. )
5) well, there was somebody else nearby on the same frequency.

Try out your electronics on another car (if you have another, or can pinjam from a friend). See whether the glitches could be repeated again . If it could, then maybe there is something wrong with the electronics. Else it just means it was 1 time event and probably may not happen again.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 AM
tornado

Radio Glitch !!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry to hear about the damage..Looks costly .

Ok, there are several reasons on why you may have experienced those glitches. I had experienced them before as well. I'll just list out those possible ones here.

1) Accidentily switching off of the transmitter ( i kena this before)
2) Battery died on receiver or transmitter (I kena this before as well) . Or could be just for a few seconds due to bad connections.
3) Frayed receiver attenna and it touches your carbon deck.
4) Cracked crystal (due to previous langgar_with_wall.. )
5) well, there was somebody else nearby on the same frequency.

Try out your electronics on another car (if you have another, or can pinjam from a friend). See whether the glitches could be repeated again . If it could, then maybe there is something wrong with the electronics. Else it just means it was 1 time event and probably may not happen again.
wat will happen if frayed receiver antenna touches carbon deck?
Now that u hav mentioned it I think its the only thing that fits ur 'fault list'! After the crash I noticed the antenna wire squeezed out of the receiver case! Crap! did the stupid wire cause it!?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

If the conducting part (the thin wire inside )of the antenna touches the carbon deck (which is also a conductor), it can cause a glitch (need a electronic guy/gal here to explain the details ).

You can easily replace the antenna by buying the replacement (same length, make,brand). Heat the join inside the antenna case, pull out the old piece, and then solder back the new one.

I think you can get by insulating the exposed bit with some tape as well.

sllim
Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

If the conducting part (the thin wire inside )of the antenna touches the carbon deck (which is also a conductor), it can cause a glitch (need a electronic guy/gal here to explain the details ).

You can easily replace the antenna by buying the replacement (same length, make,brand). Heat the join inside the antenna case, pull out the old piece, and then solder back the new one.

I think you can get by insulating the exposed bit with some tape as well.

sllim
Thanks for all the info man but now that i have closely examine the antenna wire there are no expose wire on it. Its just that the wire stick out of the receiver box to form a 1/2-inch loop, it touches the fuel tank & carbon deck. Will this affect the antenna? I fixed the car replace all the parts but not sure about running it yet untill I know wats the cause! Any 1 who experience this b4 please HELP!!!!!! Thanks alot!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (98%+)

If u are afraid that this will happen again next time, I suggest to install a failsafe unit.

So when your Rx lose communication with Tx, the failsafe will trigger & stop the car.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

or another cheaper solution will be some how attach a spring to the servo horn, if the reciever is off suddenly, the spring will act as a fail safe and pull it to a brake position......

some local here do that, but remember not to have a too strong spring...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

ya will do, i will install a fail-safe for safety measure, I already have a rubber band holding the throttle but the car still went crazy, thanks for the tips guys