Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Malaysian R/C Racers
How to store rechargeable battery >

How to store rechargeable battery

How to store rechargeable battery

Old 12-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default How to store rechargeable battery

Hello all the sifu, just want to check with all of you how you store your rechargeable battery after playing? Maybe going to store for a month long. Please advise on below 2 types:

Ni-Cd
Ni-Mh

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

4 nimh...2 store 4 a month i think need to charger it around 1000mah
correct me if i'm wrong
nicd dunno
Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im a nitro guy but i got enough exp on batteries. my old batteries still functioning till now after 1 1/2 yrs rest.

Ni-CD: full charge at last use.
Ni-MH: half charge(eg.3300 -charge at 1500 or 2000).

when start using again: recycle back. charge, discharge, charge discharge.
im still using my nicd and nimh till now.
i charge back my nicd using Flex mode to waken it back. but for nimh, use linear as always. even after idling 1 yr, my 3300 still can fully charged at 3280. not bad i think. thats 1 yr. u know. but i guess, i use LRP charge. maybe becoz of that... kekekeke. shop promoter this.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,
This is what I usually do to my batteries:
NiMH - discharge & equalise to 0.9v per cell. To store it for longer than 1 week, I normally re-charge with 500 or 1000mah after discharging & cooled down. If I plan to use the batteries again within 1 week, I just store it after equalising to 0.9v per cell.
NiCD - I fully discharge them and store it in a discharged state. In most cases, I even leave the NiCD in a discharge tray for 2 or 3 days before storing them in box.
That's just my 2cents. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sifu-sifu,how about Lipo?n for nimh how many time need to cycle so that the battery will becomes active again?(back to normal power)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Question

Originally Posted by jfc_tech
im a nitro guy but i got enough exp on batteries. my old batteries still functioning till now after 1 1/2 yrs rest.

[/QUOTE]Ni-CD: full charge at last use.[/QUOTE]
Ok, this I can do with my charger

[/QUOTE]Ni-MH: half charge(eg.3300 -charge at 1500 or 2000).[/QUOTE]
Can a very cheap wall charger to charge until this rate? Mean how to calculate it to charge how long?

[/QUOTE]when start using again: recycle back. charge, discharge, charge discharge.[/QUOTE]
recycle back, mean discharge 1st then full charge, 2nd discharge again and full charge again then can start use?

[/QUOTE]im still using my nicd and nimh till now.
i charge back my nicd using Flex mode to waken it back. but for nimh, use linear as always. even after idling 1 yr, my 3300 still can fully charged at 3280. not bad i think. thats 1 yr. u know. but i guess, i use LRP charge. maybe becoz of that... kekekeke. shop promoter this. [/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default How to

Originally Posted by proceed5
Hi,
This is what I usually do to my batteries:
NiMH - discharge & equalise to 0.9v per cell. To store it for longer than 1 week, I normally re-charge with 500 or 1000mah after discharging & cooled down. If I plan to use the batteries again within 1 week, I just store it after equalising to 0.9v per cell.
NiCD - I fully discharge them and store it in a discharged state. In most cases, I even leave the NiCD in a discharge tray for 2 or 3 days before storing them in box.
That's just my 2cents. Cheers.
Hi, how to charge each cell for 0.9V with cheap wall charger?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Hi, how to charge each cell for 0.9V with cheap wall charger?
Hi tkhoo,
I wrote Discharge to 0.9v per cell, NOT charge.
Maybe you should get James Khoo to help explain.
I do not think the wall charger has that function to charge or discharge to specific levels. You might have to buy a proper charger-discharger unit to do this.
Kindly consult James Khoo or the infamous Moey Chee Cheong (not sure where he is now these days).
Cheers
Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by proceed5
Hi tkhoo,
I wrote Discharge to 0.9v per cell, NOT charge.
Maybe you should get James Khoo to help explain.
I do not think the wall charger has that function to charge or discharge to specific levels. You might have to buy a proper charger-discharger unit to do this.
Kindly consult James Khoo or the infamous Moey Chee Cheong (not sure where he is now these days).
Cheers
Ok, i also feel that cheap charger unable to discharger to 0.9V each cell....hehehehe, I am waiting my Prodigy II charger and I not sure this charger able to discharge to 0.9V each cell or not.....by the way James Khoo is from Pg Island? Moey now selling 1:1 car...and not 1:10.........hehehehe
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Charger

tkhoo,

Charging and discharging as a pack(side by side or stick pack) can be done by most charger with LED display to what ever voltage you one. But to individually discharge all six to 0.9v, I don't think so. That you have to purchase a discharger. Now the million dollar question -

Does it make a difference if you discharger all 6 cells individually to 0.9 v and charge it as a pack ??

Hope some experience bros there could give me some light on this
Old 12-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kowkl2
tkhoo,

Charging and discharging as a pack(side by side or stick pack) can be done by most charger with LED display to what ever voltage you one. But to individually discharge all six to 0.9v, I don't think so. That you have to purchase a discharger. Now the million dollar question -

Does it make a difference if you discharger all 6 cells individually to 0.9 v and charge it as a pack ??

You got sms.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tkhoo
.....by the way James Khoo is from Pg Island? Moey now selling 1:1 car...and not 1:10.........hehehehe
Hi tKhoo,
Try sending a private message to JamesKhoo for his handphone number. He is a nice chap and have more than enough experience to hands on assist you. Maybe you should ask him where he and his members play so that u can join in the fun.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ok

Get it proceed5
Old 12-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

What would happen if I discharge the newer generation batteries down to 0.7volts per cell???

Would this harm the battery???

I know that you can discharge older GP3300 batteries down to 0.7volts without harming the battery but what about newer cells like IB3800, IB4200, GP3700 and GP4300????
Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kowkl2
tkhoo,

If your using match packs, yes it does alot of difference.
But if the cells are just normal cells, the difference wont not be that much different.
Discharging cells down to 0.9v/cell is to avoid false peak when u charge them up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.