Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Commercial/Retail Forums > A Main Performance Hobbies Coupons and Special Promotions
A terrible experience with A-main customer service. >

A terrible experience with A-main customer service.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By biz77
  • 1 Post By Darkgenerals
  • 3 Post By racer1812
  • 1 Post By EbbTide
  • 3 Post By flyinhawaiianRC
  • 2 Post By aeguy
  • 2 Post By Propchecku37

A terrible experience with A-main customer service.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default A-main steps up to rectify a poor customer experience.

A-main has reached out, stepped up and rectified the situation described below to my complete satisfaction. Faith restored. Proof that any company run by humans can get it wrong once in a while, but what really matters is how they own up to it and address the mistakes.

2/18/18: I placed an order for some CRC bodies and bearings and most importantly a Team Associated RC28T for my son. I used a coupon and some rewards points that I accrued to place the order, which basically got the price of the little Associated truck down to about $35.00. The order was shipped quickly as usual and arrived on 2/26/18 via On Trac. While the delivery was on time, it was delivered to a neighbor's house who was on vacation in Hawaii for two weeks. Fortunately I heard the delivery truck pull into our cul d' sac and went outside to greet the driver. I thought it odd that he was delivering packages to my neighbor's house with them being gone. As he jumped back into his truck I walked towards the street to meet him as I knew my package was "out for delivery" and he was stopping at my house next. As he fired up his truck and started moving he looked directly at me and I could tell he wasn't stopping. I put my hands up in the air to him as if to say "WTF?" and he floored his truck out of the cul d' sac right past me.
Guessing that he had delivered my package to the neighbor's house I walked over to check the package. Sure enough it was addressed to me and one side of it was completely drenched in what I can only hope was water. As it was dry here that day the package obviously somehow became wet before it ever came off the delivery truck. Fortunately upon opening the package the only content impacted by the soaking wet box was the flyer they included.
I took the RC28T out of the box and followed the instructions for charging and then binding. The transmitter and truck would not bind per instructions so I hopped on here as well as other RC sites to see if I was doing something wrong. I tried several different methods to bind the transmitter to the little truck to no avail. Upon further research it seems like this an issue that is not uncommon on these 1/28th scale vehicles.
Now knowing without question that I had a defective unit and being after 6:00 pm PST I decided to contact A-main through their website/email. I sent a note around 8:00pm on Monday 2/26/18. I basically described the situation as above. Per the information on the website regarding response within 24 hours, I was expecting contact the following day, but it never came. I waited until late in the day Wednesday and decided to give them a call. I got an excuse that they hadn’t gotten back to me because they were backed up from Christmas returns still (two months after Christmas – that seems like a pretty generous return window.) Nonetheless the customer service rep was very courteous and issued a return authorization for exchange via email along with a UPS shipping label. I thought all would be good. Unfortunately I was wrong…
I packed up and shipped off the defective RC28T the following day, 2/29/18, using the supplied UPS label and thought I would have a new unit by the following week, but a week went by with no package, no emails and no calls.
On 3/9/18 I decided to give A-main another call since I had not heard back regarding the return. I was told they had the package, but had been unable to take a look at it due to a backlog. I was also told that the person responsible for processing the returns was on leave as his wife had just had a baby. I’m guessing they knew this baby was coming for a number of months, but made no arrangements around it to avoid this backlog of returns. The customer service agent assured me they would be looking at my return no later than Sunday and I would definitely see something via email when a determination was made that it was either functioning correctly or they were going to replace it.
Guess what happened? Sunday came and went with no calls and no emails as to what the status of my return was. Then Monday came and went with no updates, then Tuesday… until I finally decided to give them a call on Friday 3/16. That’s right, only a MONTH after I ordered the product originally!!! I was told yes, the truck was indeed defective and they were sending me a new truck and as soon as we hang up the phone I would get an email with tracking…
Guess what I never received via email?
Nonetheless, I did receive a package from A-main in my mailbox today. Excited that my son finally was going to get to play with little 1/28th scale truck I promised him more than a month ago I opened up the brown box in front of him. Upon inspecting the beauty box I noticed that the tamper-proof tabs were not intact, indicating this was a unit that had been opened. While I didn’t specifically ask in any of my communications with A-main, I just assumed they would be replacing the defective unit with a new unit. Upon pulling the guts out of the box the remote flopped out… another indication that this unit had indeed been opened. I though “Oh great, they’ve had this one out of the box, so surely they must have tested it to ensure it works before sending me another dud.
I opened the battery door to pull the charging cord out to plug it into the truck. AA batteries were already installed. Another indication this was obviously not new and hopefully tested. I went to plug the charging cable into the truck and the charging cable won’t plug into the truck. I look into the end of the charging cable and the center of the barrel is filled with something that won’t let it plug into the truck – see picture. Are you kidding me!!!??? At this point I’m infuriated and decide to try turning on the radio and truck just for sh&ts and giggles to see if they can at least bind. Well, they aren’t bound out of the box. Let’s try the binding procedure. NOPE! I’ve tried it multiple different times and multiple different ways again. Transmitter first. Truck first. Bind button held, then power. Power then bind button… Nothing works to get the radio to bind to the truck, but that doesn’t even matter at this point because even if it did bind, once the battery on the truck runs down there is no way to charge it. You have taken a non-functioning product from me and replaced it with an even more non-functioning product. How is that even possible? Bottom line - they just sent me someone else's returned junk.
Attached Thumbnails A terrible experience with A-main customer service.-img_8510.jpg  

Last edited by biz77; 03-26-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

A-Main Hobbies is probably overwhelmed (with orders) because Tower Hobbies is down to nothing.
-It's too much for them.....(?)

They should ship your requested product totally new and unopened.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Lol blaming amain for the mail services screw up.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Lol blaming amain for the mail services screw up.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh?

Bottom line: they sent me a vehicle that would not bind, then after a considerable amount of time being diagnosed (nothing to do with the carriers) they sent me a different clearly used “new” unit that not only won’t bind (like the first), but also can’t charge because of a defect in the charging cable. I suppose you missed that picture in the post too?
DRTMI likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh?

Bottom line: they sent me a vehicle that would not bind, then after a considerable amount of time being diagnosed (nothing to do with the carriers) they sent me a different clearly used “new” unit that not only won’t bind (like the first), but also can’t charge because of a defect in the charging cable. I suppose you missed that picture in the post too?
No I can read, but your first paragraph is complaining about the post man delivering to the wrong place and how he ran away from some random person walking towards him. It's not even relavent to amain but I like how you included it.
big james likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Any company that cares anything about their customer’s experience should not be using On Trac as a shipping option. They are unquestionably the worst carrier in existence today. The only reason they are an option is so that A-main can get the absolute cheapest shipping rates on orders that qualify for free shipping, while the competition still uses superior carriers. I don’t feel I should have to select an up charge to get a superior service, which everyone else is providing free of charge.
While my experience with On Trac this time (and almost every time they deliver a package) was horrendous. It isn’t really all that important to the heart of the matter, BUT it does help to paint the picture of the horrible overall experience I’ve had with this transaction.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Why didn't you deal directly with AE?? I'm shocked that Amain would even accept a return on what may be a defective item. Most retailers make you deal directly with the manufacturer.
big james, J Lee and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I wouldn't quit on them yet. It's a bummer that you got a dud back but this isn't something common for Amain and I imagine they'd feel pretty bad knowing they sent you back a bad unit. But like Racer said it is usually common practice to deal with the manufacturer for defective items. Amain was just trying to help but I imagine with the recent hobby dealer shake up they may be dealing with a volume of inquiries they haven't had to deal with in the past and that may be why things fell apart on you. But I imagine if you get in touch with them, or perhaps try to contact one of the Amain reps here on RCtech (FlyinhawaiianRC is one) as they tend to be more thorough with helping customers.
big james likes this.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

If A-main had wanted me to deal with the manufacturer, they should have stated to do just that. It sounds like they employ at least one full-time person that deals with returns who's duties include the testing of returned products. They are most certainly setup for and expect some level of returned product.
If I had purchased this from my local hobby shop I would certainly be taking it back directly to them for a refund or new replacement. Even If I had purchased this on Amazon this would have been resolved with a brand new unit in a matter of days, not another non-functioning unit after more than a month.
I haven't given up on A-main yet. They just need to get this resolved. However, I'm most certainly not getting another Team Associated RTR product.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I emailed you with a resolution, I could make excuses like we are busy and returns manager had a baby, but plain and simple, we dropped the ball on this one. Let me know what you think of my resolution. Thank you
big james, aeguy and EbbTide like this.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like Amain more and more everyday
big james and flyinhawaiianRC like this.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Keoni, you and the rest of the AMain staff are Awesome. Maybe some people don’t realize the volume of business that you guys take care of and at some point mistakes will happen. There’s a resolution which I’m sure is above and beyond what any other supplier would have done. Keep up the fantastic customer service Keoni..
big james and flyinhawaiianRC like this.