Re-introduction to RC

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re-introduction to RC

Hi guys, my name is Louis and I'm trying to get back into racing. I got into the hobby back around '01 (Losi XXX had just come out). I started with a Traxxas Rustler and then got a used Losi Double-X CR. I was hooked. Luckily, there was a track in Lake Charles and I could race every weekend. My next car was a Losi Triple-X Kinwald Edition. Then came Hurricane Rita and we lost our track. Since there wasn't a place close by to race electric offroad, I picked up a used Losi XXX-S for onroad. By that time, I was in college at McNeese and didn't really have time or money to spend. Now I've graduated and have a good job offshore working 14/14. With time and money at my disposal again, I'd like to get back to racing.

My problem is that in the 6 or so years since I was last "in the know" about the RC scene, it has changed quite a bit. New tech, new cars, new racing classes... I was a little overwhelmed when I looked in an issue of RCCA. I want to race what is popular so that I know I'll have a class to race in, so I guess my first question is: What is the most popular class right now? Once I decide on a class, I'll need new gear. The brushless/Lipo revolution was just starting to begin when I got out of racing so I never really learned much about it. I assume that is the way to go nowadays. As for radios, the spektrum system was pretty new and people were just starting to convert their M8s/M11s to 2.4GHz. Speaking of that, is my M11 still ok? As for the actual car, I will do my own research to figure out what is best for me. I'm not opposed to racing what I already have either, given there are places to race them. I'll put a list of what I have at the bottom of this unbelievably long post.

My next problem is to find a place to race. I still live in Lake Charles, but I don't mind driving a couple hours every few weekends.

I appreciate any answers I can get with this. I've been watching some youtube videos of ROAR nats and I'm starting to get the itch again. Hopefully I can get back into this soon.

Thanks again -Louis

Cars: Losi XXX-KE
Losi XXX-T MF
Losi XXX-S
Losi XX4
Losi XX-CR
Yokomo 4wd (dont remember specifically)
Traxxas TMaxx
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boucher View Post
Hi guys, my name is Louis and I'm trying to get back into racing. I got into the hobby back around '01 (Losi XXX had just come out). I started with a Traxxas Rustler and then got a used Losi Double-X CR. I was hooked. Luckily, there was a track in Lake Charles and I could race every weekend. My next car was a Losi Triple-X Kinwald Edition. Then came Hurricane Rita and we lost our track. Since there wasn't a place close by to race electric offroad, I picked up a used Losi XXX-S for onroad. By that time, I was in college at McNeese and didn't really have time or money to spend. Now I've graduated and have a good job offshore working 14/14. With time and money at my disposal again, I'd like to get back to racing.

My problem is that in the 6 or so years since I was last "in the know" about the RC scene, it has changed quite a bit. New tech, new cars, new racing classes... I was a little overwhelmed when I looked in an issue of RCCA. I want to race what is popular so that I know I'll have a class to race in, so I guess my first question is: What is the most popular class right now? Once I decide on a class, I'll need new gear. The brushless/Lipo revolution was just starting to begin when I got out of racing so I never really learned much about it. I assume that is the way to go nowadays. As for radios, the spektrum system was pretty new and people were just starting to convert their M8s/M11s to 2.4GHz. Speaking of that, is my M11 still ok? As for the actual car, I will do my own research to figure out what is best for me. I'm not opposed to racing what I already have either, given there are places to race them. I'll put a list of what I have at the bottom of this unbelievably long post.

My next problem is to find a place to race. I still live in Lake Charles, but I don't mind driving a couple hours every few weekends.

I appreciate any answers I can get with this. I've been watching some youtube videos of ROAR nats and I'm starting to get the itch again. Hopefully I can get back into this soon.

Thanks again -Louis

Cars: Losi XXX-KE
Losi XXX-T MF
Losi XXX-S
Losi XX4
Losi XX-CR
Yokomo 4wd (dont remember specifically)
Traxxas TMaxx
If you don't mind a road trip come to T and T Speedway in Shreveport this Saturday for some indoor racing. You will be able to run the xxxt and buggy for sure and in the future convert the xxx-s to a VTA as far as popular classes its Short Course trucks hands down many versions and classes to run. Look for the t and t thread for more information or send me a pm .. Welcome Back !
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Louis, you get anything yet?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default still good

People are still running all of your xxx cars. I have no idea about the yokomo and a TMaxx is great for bashing but I don't know anywhere racing them. Best of luck.