Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
2013 Venom Offroad JAM hosted by Fastlane Raceway >

2013 Venom Offroad JAM hosted by Fastlane Raceway

2013 Venom Offroad JAM hosted by Fastlane Raceway

Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

2 Wheel Drive Mod A Main:

http://youtu.be/qPzMcyjPlmA

4 Wheel Drive A Main:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OANoaPkrwk
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

does anyone have a video of the 4wheel mod sc a main?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Starts and restarts in the mains

I think that this was one of the best layouts I have ever raced on at fastlane but I personally will not be back to another event that does not do standard IFMAR qualifying. Furthermore all three of my main events were restarted and all three times I had good starts. I have been racing RC since 1986 and can think of only one other time when there was a restart in a main and that was in nitro and someone jumped. The one that really comes to mind is the Super Stock A-main start. The 2nd place qualifier got caught sleeping and caused a big pile-up but there were about 5 cars that got away clean so we did a restart. Then on the restart the second place car got a holeshot and got away clean another car that had a clean start the first time and myself both got taken out and went to the back. I have just never seen it done this way. I have been the guy that gets a clean start and the guy that gets taken out and goes to the back but either way at the start of the main I pretty much knew that once the buzzer sounds that is it (barring the whole field goes into an exploding ball in the first corner). I don't think there is anyway to be consistent on restarts because you are going to have half of the field that is going to be happy about it and half of the field that got a good start and want to keep going. Next time I will have to consider keeping my $85 if this is the format of the future.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slotkarter77
does anyone have a video of the 4wheel mod sc a main?

How much will you pay me for it? Just kidding. Give me about a week and it will be on YouTube.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer 007
I think that this was one of the best layouts I have ever raced on at fastlane but I personally will not be back to another event that does not do standard IFMAR qualifying. Furthermore all three of my main events were restarted and all three times I had good starts. I have been racing RC since 1986 and can think of only one other time when there was a restart in a main and that was in nitro and someone jumped. The one that really comes to mind is the Super Stock A-main start. The 2nd place qualifier got caught sleeping and caused a big pile-up but there were about 5 cars that got away clean so we did a restart. Then on the restart the second place car got a holeshot and got away clean another car that had a clean start the first time and myself both got taken out and went to the back. I have just never seen it done this way. I have been the guy that gets a clean start and the guy that gets taken out and goes to the back but either way at the start of the main I pretty much knew that once the buzzer sounds that is it (barring the whole field goes into an exploding ball in the first corner). I don't think there is anyway to be consistent on restarts because you are going to have half of the field that is going to be happy about it and half of the field that got a good start and want to keep going. Next time I will have to consider keeping my $85 if this is the format of the future.
I heard about the way they did qualifying. what a joke. Steve Hale would have never done it that way. I heard the factory drivers went first every time. All I can say, is get with the rest of the world. Heads up qualifying went out in the 80's. For a reason. It's not fair.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Racer 007 - I am very sorry that you did not like the format. The restarts believe it or not were to make the racing as fair as possible...not just to pick on you. I will make sure to remove your name from any further events I promote that you may accidentally sign up for to save you your $85 in advance.

Mr. Schueler - Heads up racing is definitely out of date, ask Scotty Ernst who runs heads up at the biggest Shortcourse Series in the world. Fast guys start first...that is correct, typically a resort puts the fast guys first. Being a stock buggy champion! I assumed you would know how that works.

The idea of this race was to be different than other races...something new and fun. I understand that the format didn't suit everyone, and I will be the first to say I made more than my fair share of mistakes running my first race...which I have apologized for and thanked everyone for their cooperation.

As for you guys bashing the race over the forum...very classy, and I look forward to attending the races YOU run from start to finish without a flaw.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think the idea Mike in visioned, and I could be wrong, was to have a race that seeded mains by how you race, not just by time but how you raced, kinda like a reedy invitational format, but I think there were a couple of loopholes Mike didn't see. But I can say after running that style format at the Jconcepts race at fastlane that it is very cool and I have to tip my hat to Mike for trying to give all racers a taste of a format like that.

Ken, I am a Team driver and I started in the middle my first qualifer and had a bad lap due to a race incident, then in the back, then in the middle again, had a bad first or second lap in each qualifer then to make things worse, after working a whole night and morning, I rushed to the track to miss my B main by 5 minutes.....ugh! But that is just how things go, same in racing, just got to do what you can with the cards you have.

I'm sure Mike will get the kinks worked out, so I defantly look forward to his next race.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MG247
Racer 007 - I am very sorry that you did not like the format. The restarts believe it or not were to make the racing as fair as possible...not just to pick on you. I will make sure to remove your name from any further events I promote that you may accidentally sign up for to save you your $85 in advance.

Mr. Schueler - Heads up racing is definitely out of date, ask Scotty Ernst who runs heads up at the biggest Shortcourse Series in the world. Fast guys start first...that is correct, typically a resort puts the fast guys first. Being a stock buggy champion! I assumed you would know how that works.

The idea of this race was to be different than other races...something new and fun. I understand that the format didn't suit everyone, and I will be the first to say I made more than my fair share of mistakes running my first race...which I have apologized for and thanked everyone for their cooperation.

As for you guys bashing the race over the forum...very classy, and I look forward to attending the races YOU run from start to finish without a flaw.

Wow, now that was a classy response for sure. Whatever dude. All I did was express my opinion and point out that I didn't like the format. I didn't accuse you of picking on me because I am not a hot enough racer for you to even pay attention to or to listen to if I have a complaint which is why I saved my breath and chose to post something on here. I didn't post profanity or point any fingers and your reaction is to ban me. Whatever!! If that is what you feel you need to do because I post an opinion so be it. I won't sign up for any race that has heads up starts in qualifying period. If you choose to ban me from your races or make this personal than that's on you.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Racer 007 - ok so I may have been a little aggressive with my response there lol. I apologize and am not banning you from anything.

It all comes down to how much work, effort, and personal involvement that goes into events. Unfortunately when a race doesn't go quite as someone plans they are bombarded with criticism and it really takes it's toll. This weekend I was told everything from I ran a "corrupt race program" to Facebook messages saying "you should learn how to run a race before trying to run one".

In no way shape or form did I intend on making mistakes, causing frustration, ruining races with restarts, and/or anything else bad. For me RC is an escape from the real world, and my goal was to provide everyone a fun weekend that no matter what happened everyone left smiling and glad they came. Did I succeed...not quite.

Am I a professional promoter? Not by any means. Am I sorry for everyone that was frustrated by the way I ran the races this weekend? Absolutely. Does it begin to really hit hard when you log on Facebook, RCTech, and get texts cutting your efforts down? Most definitely.

Being a good race promoter is much harder than people realize, and making the right decisions that lead to a successful race is a talent that I admire in race promoters such as Scotty Ernst, Jimmy Babcock, Kenny Brosch, Joey Christiansen, etc.

To both Racer 007 and Ken Schueler, I apologize for my aggressive reaction to your posts. To all of the racers who attended I THANK YOU. To those who did not enjoy the event, I am truly sorry. No way did I intend for it to be a "joke" of a race...and Dave is right. My goal was to create a new and fun event for everyone to enjoy, but with the loopholes I missed in preparation it caused some glitches.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Mike you did an awesome job.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can't learn from mistakes unless you make some. Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend, was planning on it but have some of my own things going on, and had to fix a couple mistakes. :-)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Mike I commend you for doing something different! I noticed getting into this hobby just recently that change is most times not well received by the veterans of the hobby. This format was definitely more fun for the spectator and more challengeing for the racer. It is definitely not the format to run all the time, but for a break and something fun it accomplished that. As for the restarts those are always subjective and helps some at hurts others. I think for the most part if it was clean to the line you let it go and if not did a restart. That is what you said you would do and held to it. Coming from an MX background I understand heads up starts are always nail biters.Thanks for all the hardwork and always topnotch announcing.We will definitely be back next year, Mason can't wait.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

What a weekend it was! Staying up too late with the Topeka Crew and getting a full 3hrs of sleep before qualifying was awesome! haha With me being the track builder at Jakes RC I got some pointers for sure from this track! Coolest track I have ever been on!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My 2 cents
I didnt think i would like the format, but ended up lovin it !
this race was the most fun i have ever had, badass track and the best
race anouncer around, and the best people you would want to spend the weekend with

Dave Strand
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I'm going to put my 2 cents in...even if that is way overpriced.

When I heard this race was going to be ran with heads up starts, I was excited. Something different. Then I heard one less qualifier...even better. More time to bench race! I did notice that with 8 in each heat that not everyone would get a front row start due to only having three quals and 4 rows of cars per heat. No big deal. Same for everyone...just need a little luck. However...not how it worked out. If you were in the front in the first qualifier, you had a better chance to do well. If you did well, you were in front again. Not at all fair. The mod buggy TQ started Second, First and First in his quals. 4wd buggy TQ started first, first and first in his quals. Mod truck TQ started First, First, Second in his quals. See what I'm saying? It was all won in the first 20 feet of the first qualifier.

Heads up starting is to make starts more exciting and make passing more of a reward. But with the re-sort using Points (or since it was just one round, time) it did just the opposite. Matt Gosch TQed and Won buggy and was never really challenged by anyone. YOu know how many cars he passed? In two days of racing he passed one car. One. In the first 20 feet of the first qualifier. He stayed in the lead and didnt have to pass anyone all through the quals and main. Done.

Now. Moving forward. How do you fix it? Obviously this was a highly successful race. I would guess nearly 250 entries. So, the racers (me included) want this race. Time of year, location, track, pit rooms, execution of race program and hobby shop are all perfect. So, thats not a problem. Just fix the format. I personally liked the starts. I know most didnt but I did. I would just change a couple things. Re-sort randomly. That way everyone has a chance to start in the front, not just the winner of round one. You could also seed the drivers and then invert that for round one. Then round 2 use the qual points and round 3 use qual points again. That way you would see the fastest drivers in the back then a little better, then in the front most likely. That would certainly be cool. However, I wouldnt want to be the one to seed them.

As for Mike. Great job at calling the races. None better in the midwest. I'm really glad we have you calling the races at the Winter Nats next week. So, could you have done better? Only with the plan. Perfect execution. Plan was not as good as it could have been but all of us can see better in reverse.

By the way I was the one who called the race program corrupt...I was talking about the format, not the calling of the races.

So, I will certainly be back to Fastlane. Love the place. $85 I thought was a lot for 3 classes but it was worth it. You get a lot for that money. I hope this banter on here doesnt keep anyone from attending any of Fastlane's races. It really is a great place to race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.