Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
Guys/gals help me out its TAX return time!!! What to buy? >

Guys/gals help me out its TAX return time!!! What to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guys/gals help me out its TAX return time!!! What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Guys/gals help me out its TAX return time!!! What to buy?

Well let me start off saying I am pretty new to NITRO, I have been into RC for a long time and just got my first nitro car. Its the ONroad traxxas 4tec, I must say I love the car and its really a blast, however its very limited to where you can drive it. Here is my Delima, in the future I am looking to compete but prob in off/road. I have been looking at the New Traxxas REVO a lot and I love that truck. I am very new to competing with RC and was wondering if there are any classes that the REVO fall into for racing or is it just for bashing? I dont want to spend $500.00 on a REVO and find out there is nowhere I can compete with it and have to buy another car/truck to use to compete. If anyone has any ideas to give me about racing and what I should get please let me know.

Chris R
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

The Revo is a very capable racer. Its probably better set up for racing than say a Savage. The HPI Savage is a very tough truck, and people race them too.

As far as where to race a revo, there are lots of places, I have a few links on my web page of all the local race facilities.

I'll list a few here, and describe what type of racing:

Real R/C in Pleasant Hill Its a HUGE outdoor track, and looks like the start date to race out there will be either the first or second week of April. This web page is also for the indoor facility located in Kansas City, MO, but it will only be open for another 8 weeks according to Steve (the owner). They will however be running Monster trucks, and 1/8 scales indoors next week (Saturday) be sure to bring a gas mask. LOL! Steve does have plans for another facility, where Nitro indoor will be run, but that is still in the works.

Timberline Raceway Located in Osawatomie currently they have an off-road track and are in process of getting a dirt oval track ready. They do have plans to run Monster truck ovals, so if you have that interest, its there.

There is also are races near the HobbyTown Parking lot in Overland Park, near 91st and Metcalf. We haven't heard any word on when the races will start, etc.. but you are in the right place to get that info. When the races will be run, etc.. will be announced in this same forum. The schedule last year was every other Sunday, and I'm sure the schedule will be something along those lines this year.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot for the great info, I have checked out your site in the past and it really helps. So the REVO is a good choice?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Yep.. its a very good truck. Chris K visits these forums, he owns one, and he can tell ya all about it I'm sure. John Taylor also raced a Revo.Here are a few race results the winner and second place truck are Revos:

Best Heat Lap/Time for gas monster truck:
chris kovachevich with 9/5:02.16

Results from racing on 10/03/04
-- gas monster truck - A MAIN --
pos Car Laps time name
1 1 26 15:27.97 chris kovachevich
2 2 25 15:17.63 john taylor
3 3 24 14:56.08 lisa zimmer
4 5 17 13:18.45 garrett cottingham
-- 4 --- DNS --- roc lee
-- 6 --- DNS --- kirt smotherman

Best Heat Lap/Time for gas monster truck:
john taylor with 9/5:24.03

Results from racing on 09/03/04
-- gas monster truck - A MAIN --
pos Car Laps time name
1 1 33 20:18.40 john taylor
2 2 31 19:06.34 chris kovachevich
3 4 5 3:36.26 kirt smotherman
-- 3 --- DNS --- josh silvey
Old 01-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Wow, very cool thanks again! Now its time to head to H&R block!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

The Cajun man pretty much summed this up - out of the box, the Revo is the most capable racing monster truck produced yet! Like many here, I've run through various evolutions of the Maxx, had a Savage, spent lotsa' time with the MGT and the Revo is the best in my opinion!

To make it truly race ready, about all that needs to be done is a change of shock oil to 50 to 60 wt and a switch to a racing type of tire such as the ProLine Bow Tie or the Panther Python. Unplug the ni-starter and buy a battery powered version for more reliable starting and upgrade the starting system as you feel necessary. The stock electronics are quite capable and changing servos should not be a high priority when starting out.

As you move forward with this project, I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have!

I also noticed that Steve at Real R/C is now stocking a Revo and plans to have support parts available! It's always nice to support your local track and have your local track support your vehicle by stocking parts!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help, I am waiting on one more W2 I have 3 to collect and then its REVO time.

Chris R
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default Upgrades

I have only added a few things to mine. The lunsford pushrods and turnbuckles make it very strong and the stainless steel screw kit. And the 23mm hex upgrade and racing body. Also the roto start. It is a very nice truck handles the closest to my on road as you can except from a monster truck.

Last edited by mtx3racer869; 02-01-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Well I have made my Choice and I am going to pick up a REVO this week some time if I can get off work. I spent about 3 hrs at ZONECENTRAL talking to john about the REVO. He knows his shit, he didnt puch anything on me at all and that is what I like. I will be buying a REVO from him. Thanks for all the help you guys have given. I will post my thoughts and reactions about the truck when I get it and get it broken in.

Chris R
Old 02-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default revo

I also just bought the forward only conversion which takes out alot of gears from the transmission and makes it a whole lot lighter by removing the micro servo and opti drive.

Last edited by mtx3racer869; 02-03-2005 at 12:04 PM.