Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad. >

Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad.

Like Tree1Likes

Jake's R/C Pro-Am. Topeka's indoor offroad.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey SuperDave, you were right, Kyle got the bug. Wouldn't be the same without you KS. Hope I don't have to run against ya!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Default Tuesday Night Races 7pm

Great fun last night. I think everyone had fun last night but ROY! That was sweet. Thanks for coming. Are you ready for TUESDAY NIGHT MOD FIGHTS!Modified buggy,Truck,& 4wds. If turnout is high then we will only run two heats and then the mains. Entry fee will be $10 first class, $10 for second. 7pm start time. Maybe we can make it a gambler's race where winner gets a cut. Or maybe a driver challenge with no marshalls.

Last edited by LeeLockhart; 04-06-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KSimmonds View Post
I need some advice on brushless motor/speed control options, as well as Lipo batts. I'd rather have a little too much motor than not enough as it's easier to dial back then to add when you need it. Battery wise, I definitely want to get some good lipo packs and a good charger. Any one have some suggestions in regards to these items? Oh ya, I need some servo options as well.

Cant go wrong with the Super Brain 989 charger...Will charger any battery u can throw at it... LIPO 4800 Peak Performance is good> Checkpoint and MaxAmps make good LIPOs.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Some one needs to paint a target on the Garage door. Great fun watching Dustin break his T4...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Kyle- Speedo/Motor combo...can't go wrong with Novak, LRP, or Castle Creations. Novak 6.5 or 5.5 seems to be most popular. Castles 5700 or 6900 are great. Castle also has the Sidewinder series which are excellent as well but they are 80% the power of the Mamba Max. Ask Dustin or Porter about the LRP. Novaks and LRP do thermal but some Novaks have smoked early...maybe bad luck. Losi just released their version of Novaks GTB. No one has one yet at the track. So...???
LiPos- Orion or Maxamps are great. Reedy will be releasing theirs soon.
Chargers- The MRC SuperBrain 989, Duratrax Ice, Checkpoint (don't know the name). All great chargers. If you still have an old charger...Losi makes an adapter for LiPo charging cheap.

I love no maintenance motors now. I can't go back to the brushed crap.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I need some advice on brushless motor/speed control options, as well as Lipo batts. I'd rather have a little too much motor than not enough as it's easier to dial back then to add when you need it. Battery wise, I definitely want to get some good lipo packs and a good charger. Any one have some suggestions in regards to these items? Oh ya, I need some servo options as well.
Kyle, I kinda went through this decision process myself last week. I am like old and slow so I just bought a 13.5 motor and for a speedo I bought a reman GTB from novak cause their like a hundred bucks. I went Novak cause they basically write the rule book for ROAR it seems and their junk is always gonna be legal anywhere you go. The Castle stuff looks to be very popular with the Topeka racers.

I don't think you'll ever need more than two lipo packs if your gonna race one class....heck, I gonna try it with one. Remember, these packs only need to be topped off to run again unlike a NiMH pack so charging time will be reduced between heats. With my 13.5 motor I expect to run maybe 20 minutes of practice and my first heat, then I'll charge it up and finish the night. I bought a Trak Power 4900mah pack...slightly more capicity than the big orion and cheaper. Same style of case too with bullet connecters on top....super bling gold finish. Buy a pack with a high continuous dischage rating. My 4900 Trak Power is 25C while the same company makes a new 5400mah pack but is only 16C...this pack is the same as the new Check Point lipo. I'd stay away from the super high capicity lipo packs out there....more cells means more troubles keeping everything in balance IMO. I gonna use my ICE charger cause thats what I have. If I were buying new, I'd look for something that had a built in balancer for sure.

Servo...I took a chance and bought a Ace DS1313 servo...$75 and their suppose to be good?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Where's everyone buying their stuff at these days?

I'm still pretty confused on the speedo/motor setup. LRP has a lot of TC spec stuff out, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there (at least that I can find so far) on the different setups from any of the OEM's, even on their web pages.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Well locally its Dee & Mee. Jakes gets up and running theres another option.
A Main Hobbies and Stormer always a good place to start. Try here.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

I think it's already winter time at kyle's house
Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Where's everyone buying their stuff at these days?

I'm still pretty confused on the speedo/motor setup. LRP has a lot of TC spec stuff out, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there (at least that I can find so far) on the different setups from any of the OEM's, even on their web pages.
losipartshouse.com carolinasrc.com

I have had lrp sphere and now have novak gtb's I think the gtb is much smoother 7.5 in b4 5.5 in t4 plenty of motor
Old 04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

I buy stuff from A-main when I mail order. I wouldn't recommend Carolina to anyone after the trouble they gave me over a lost motor two years ago.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think that the TC Spec LRP just has an extra profile or two. Maifield runs, or has ran, the TC spec in offroad. Biggest thing is going to be the sensored vs. sensorless debate. Sensored are smoother and more like a brushed motor, to me anyway. With a sensored system, you can be rolling backwards and punch it and go forward right away. With sensorless, there can be a delay due to cogging before you get moving forward again.

I like the Castle systems because they are high quality, low cost, and local (Olathe), I also like the GUI programming via a laptop, but you can also program without one. I like that they really only thermal under extreme conditions (Yodace driving). The motors however are not ROAR legal.

I liked my LRP Sphere Comp. in my truck last night. It felt fast for a 13.5, but that's just not enough motor for mod truck at Jakes.

I need a brushless system for my 4wd, and am again in a dilema of what to get. Castle...Losi....Speed Passion....Novak...Tekin... Sensored, Sensorless...
Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Great fun last night. I think everyone had fun last night but ROY! That was sweet. Thanks for coming. Are you ready for TUESDAY NIGHT MOD FIGHTS!Modified buggy,Truck,& 4wds. If turnout is high then we will only run two heats and then the mains. Entry fee will be $10 first class, $10 for second. 7pm start time.See you Tuesday.

Last edited by LeeLockhart; 04-06-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Ok, its been two weeks of racing now...any idea on buggy tire choices. I guessing holeshots and

How do you gear a Novak SS13.5 motor for buggy?

Gotta make my final order tonight so I begin my role in filling the "B" main (or what ever is lowest ) starting next weekend
Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tires...holeshots, X3000's, Ifmar pins, inside jobs. They all work well. Any medium pin tire works well.

Starting gearing...try starting with a 26T-28T pinion. Yes...26-28, and if they won't fit, use a smaller spur. 13.5's and up have to be geared SUPER tall to run their best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.