Wiki Posts
Search

John Clark not at Hobbytown

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default John Clark not at Hobbytown

This is my statement to the Kansas Department of Employment Security. I hope this clears up any rumors about my replacement at the store.

On Friday Jan.18 2008 at about 2:45 in the afternoon a person I recognized as a customer walked behind the sales counter near the cash registers. I asked what he was doing and was told he had been hired to work. I normally was involved with hiring technical staff and this was the second person hired that week with out any input from me.
I did not know at the time but I now believe that this was the initial stage of eliminating my position and replacing my technical and retail management experience with two minimum wage employees that needed more training.
I asked Steve Komm (owner) what was going on. His answer to me was that they had to “make a change“. I then asked what exactly does this mean to me. His response was “with sales like they have been we can’t afford to pay you any longer”. This came as a big surprise. I asked if my job performance was an issue. Steve told me that I should not take this personally because it was “just business - we can’t afford your pay and absolutely has nothing to do with performance”. I then asked if I needed to come in the next morning. The answer was that it was up to me. I told Steve that I was unhappy to find out this way and I left the store because my shift was over.
At 8:00pm I called Steve and he did not answer. I then called Adam Komm (co-owner) and he did not answer. This did not seem normal. I left the same message on both of their phones. The message was that I had some questions about what I was supposed to do about the next day. They did not respond and I have not spoken with them since then.
My wife also works at this store. When she arrived to work the next day she asked what I should do. Adam’s answer was that he was “sure” that I understood that I was let go the day before.
At closing time on Saturday Jan 19 2008 I collected my tools and personal belongings and still to this day have not had any conversation with Steve or Adam concerning my employment.
On January 31 2008 I did receive a call from Steve for help with a customer that was having his vehicle repaired at the store. He said nothing about my employment and with the fact some weeks had passed I did not bring it up either.

I would like the thank all the customers/friends/racers/bashers and bs'ers that I have had the pleasure and pain of serving at the store. The list is miles long so I wont name names. You know who you are.

.....The Grateful Dead said it best.....
.....what a long strange trip its been..... John.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I really hate to hear this John - from my perspective you've given a LOT to that establishment AND to the r/c community in general over the years!

I'm sure you'll land on your feet and if there's anything I can do to help you do so please let me know!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope the best for you and Sharon. I still have your phone number and I should use it more often.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

john that sucks on how you were told of your replacemant...................if they want to increase sales maybe they need to sell it and get someone in there that cares about the hobbies and not retarded toys...........when did hobbytown become freaking toytown.............JMO.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Guess that means we will see you at Fastlane for some oval racing action...Don't forget Grand Nats Oval Race this weekend..
I think the Crue said it best "Don't go away mad , just GET away"

Mullet
Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

See ya round....I think.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey john do you have a email address for us racers to keep in touch? take care and good luck to you and your wife on all your new ventures.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default sorry

Last edited by Revoguy; 02-06-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revoguy
sounds like damage controll

Hey guys what's up, my name is Adam and I am one of the owners of HobbyTown USA in Overland Park, KS.
I appreciate all of you taking the time to read this post.
I wanted to get the word out that I am working very hard to bring back in the items that you all want and need. There was a point in time over the last couple of years that we got off course and lost sight of what made us successful in the beginning, which was you guys. While still carrying the staple r/c products and gearing more towards the RTR's, I was trying to also target the average r/c customer as well as the racer, but somewhere along the way I lost sight of things and ending up getting out of the racing side of things, and for that I apologize. I made the decision to bring in some non-traditional hobby items to try to balance my business and recognize now that some of the things I brought in were a mistake. I had to try it and I take full responsibility for every decision that was made, good or bad.
My point is that I am now taking a very aggressive stance in trying to bring you guys back in. I have a vision of where I want to take the store and with your help and support we can make it happen. I am working in conjunction with Tim at Checkered Flag and Chris at Thunderdome and plan on contacting the other couple raceways in the area as well.
My plan is to bring in the parts you guys need and want. I need your help in this. If you are associated with ANY of the major tracks in the area I am offering a 10% discount on anything you buy with the exception of a kit, to which I will offer you a $10.00 discount on, anything else will be 10% off. I would appreciate any feedback regarding what I already carry and what you feel I should be carrying to make you want to come into my store. E-mail me at [email protected] or call me at the store at 913-649-7979 and give me your suggestions and your feedback.
I am serious about this and will do whatever it takes so please tell me what you guys want and I will do my best to bring the stuff in.
Thanks and I look forward to talking with you guys soon.
Adam

This seems to be an odd place to make this statement. I am trying to bring the racers back by replacing the guy they trusted to help them.

Why not make your own thread? Why try to highjack this one? Yet you make absolutely no mention of that actual subject of this thread. Shows me as a consumer a lot about the ownership and management of this shop.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default ok

never mind i was not trying to highjack anybody thread i have since deleted it
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Marshall
This seems to be an odd place to make this statement. I am trying to bring the racers back by replacing the guy they trusted to help them.

Why not make your own thread? Why try to highjack this one? Yet you make absolutely no mention of that actual subject of this thread. Shows me as a consumer a lot about the ownership and management of this shop.
Mike, I think you misunderstood. That wasn't Revoguy making that statement, as he isn't one of the owners of HT USA. That was a statement from one of the owners, that was originally posted in the HT thread. He wasn't putting it here to hijack the thread, he was putting it here to say that it sounds like damage control.

So actually, the two of you were agreeing...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OH I see. I guess I missed that. It just rubbed me the wrong way when I read it. I have been in this situation before and I feel for John. The part about damage control I assumed was a low blow towards him. Revoguy please accept my apology. I know I won't be shopping there anymore either way.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default um

mike damage control is what i wrote after the fired john and it was my thinking of what hobbytown was trying to do but the rest of it was from hobbytown itself the arctile itself is over at heartlandrc its no problem sometimes i need to think about how i say or type it out sometimes
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

New e-mail ~ [email protected]

Send a pm or e-mail for the mobile number.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

sounds like i'll be going to hobby haven from now on last i went to hobby town was before john was fired to get a pinion for my stampede sorry to hear john and once again thanks for the poster