Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Cmotif any sign of these Irn Brus yet matey or have you eaten them already
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAMIYAMANUK
Cmotif any sign of these Irn Brus yet matey or have you eaten them already
No Irn Brus here! I wait for them every day. Maybe they will be at the post office when I go there in an hour. I very much look forward to getting them!

How are things going in the UK? Man, I would to love to go back over there and visit again.

Cmotif <><
Old 07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

grrrrrrrrr right i will send you another packet over but wont have as many in as they will just be picked up from the local super market.

well the weather for one is real lame think we have had rain for the past 2 weeks on the trot with floods everywhere,rivers breaking there banks towns getting submerged so pretty shit!

what about yourslef man beard theres bin some cracking things going on over the pond.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Still no Irn-brus. I wondering if the customs guys are laughing and enjoying them.

I am not sure what you are refering to over here. It is hot going to be over 100 in the next couple of days. Too hot for me. Next year I will get at least a window air conditioner.

Is there something exciting that they were reporting in the news in the UK about the US?

Some NASCAR racing leadership died in a small plane crash today in Florida.

C
Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Still no Irn-brus.

That bombing in Glasgow got to me. I have flown in and out of Glasgow airport before and have stood right there with my wife and with students of mine.

Hence the new avatar. I love Scotland and the UK.

C
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by psy87
The International Racing Team originated on Trinity's TechTalk back in the winter of 1999, during a time when the Internet was actually a lot smaller than it is today, and "TTT" was the premier forum for chatting about the R/C hobby. At the time, chat rooms were not as prevalent as they are today, and certainly not specialized enough to cater to a community as specific as R/C. IRT was formed in the wake of what most of us old-schoolers will remember as the original online R/C club, BRT (Biff Racing Team), which grew into legendary status over time. Biff is still around, actually I saw his post right here in this thread. Many other R/C clubs were formed in the wake of the IRT, such as the Maverick Racing Team and others. We were all friendly rivals in that we strained to recruit members for our own sub-communities. Some of you might even remember the fiasco that was the attempted MRT/IRT merger, quite an incomprehensible maneuver in hindsight. To be sure, "Maverick Racing" and myself were just kids then and we really had no clue what the hell we were doing.

While TechTalk was a good primordial soup for the R/C online community, with the popularization of the vBulletin forum standard, there was a new forum born. RCtouring.com was the grandaddy of this site, RCtech.net, and it quickly exploded into a cleaned-up, more organized forum than TTT. IRT was one of the first clubs to make the switch to RCtouring, and there were some bitter bannings and actions of the like from us spamming TTT forums with RCtouring advertisements. However, I'd like to say we contributed the initial glut of dedicated, informed and informative members to RCtouring, part of the reason why the forum grew so quickly.

RCtouring met a sudden demise though, which I still never have gotten an explanation for. Simply put, one day, the site just went down and never came back. Myself and other moderators never found out the whereabouts of the owner of the site (whose name is lost to my memory), but I do remember Troy (TSR6) hypothesizing that the owner just got absolutely drunk one day and deleted the contents of the site in a fit of rage. However, the community needed somewhere to go, and Futureal quickly set up a new, similar site with less of a focus on Touring Cars and a more general atmosphere. RCtech.net was born.

Now, to back up a bit, the IRT was in its heyday on RCtouring. Some of us met up and raced together, with two meetings in Merced, California hosted by the ever-generous Cmotif and his church community. Myself, someguy, and ez2win (original IRT members now long-out of the hobby) made the trek up to central California from our San Diego base and had a great time racing and hanging out with some of the earliest IRT members. Glad to see that a few of you are still around. Soon after RCtech became our new home, however, myself and a few other of the original IRT members exited the hobby of R/C. At this time we were in our later years of high school and pressures from school and changing interests prohibited our deep involvement with the R/C hobby. Most of us never really returned.

The Internet is a funny thing, though, and now that the IRT is in its 7th year of existence and holds status as one of the oldest R/C clubs on the net, its still alive, mostly thanks to the dedication of several core members, most notably Cmotif. Once in awhile I drop by, usually thanks to the reminders of someguy (who messaged me today telling me he'd posted here) though I do not race R/C any longer and have not been involved in the hobby for years. As Cmotif said above, some of the reasons for the club's shrinking are due to the evolution of the Internet and more and more specialized clubs, communities, and forums. The IRT was founded at a time where the community was so small and tight-knit that we were truly an international club sharing the same interests. Today, so many people have Internet access that smaller, more focused groups have taken center stage. Regardless, the beauty of the IRT was always in its diverse membership and the feeling of camaraderie amongst members across the globe. That ideal won't ever change.

So the founders may have exited the hobby, the team itself might have shrunk in size, and a full members list has been lost in the vast swamp of digital mess and computer evolution that has occurred over these 7 years, but the IRT lives on. If we had kept an accurate numbered list of members, the IRT would, by my rough estimate, comprise of over 1,000 members strong. The team started as an idea and a single thread on TechTalk, but has evolved into an ideal that has had a profound effect on the online R/C community and the lives of several R/C racers themselves, most significantly the original group of kids from San Diego who like to play with R/C cars. What started as a club formed by online alter-egos of teenage kids became a living, breathing community of hundreds of racers from around the globe of all ages and backgrounds.

IRT has grown up and is aging gracefully. So are the people who were here when it all began. The kids from San Diego grew up and left the nests and went off to college, leaving hobby and home behind and spreading out across the West Coast. Mike (someguy) now attends the University of Oregon in Eugene, Cliff (ez2win) is studying photography at the Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara, California, and I am attending Stanford University in northern California, all of us sophomores. Our lives have all been touched by this club, and we've remained great friends, as we've all known each other since we were in the 2nd grade. The IRT played a huge role in our lives, and we're glad to see that it lives on within its membership.

Perhaps there will be a time when we dust off our now-ancient R/C's and relive the olden days. Until then, always a pleasure to stop by and chat with the crew.

-- Paul aka psy87
IRT #1
Talk about back in the day....I must have been 12 or 13 back then, using those race coupons to pay for my hobby - we didnt have much moey since my dad was just building his business. These days though, we have more to spend (meaning we dont have any more money, we just spend more) on full scale racing. Started in dwarf cars, moved to mod lites, now Im getting into late models. Planning on moving to North Carolina in the next year or so to see if I can live my dream of racing professionally. I go to school for interior design, particularly for kitchen and bath design, and I work for my dad as a kitchen designer. StratusGuy aka Sean K. got into import cars and got out of the hobby, I think he is now a photographer. I havet seen him in 3 or 4 years.

I remember way back when 2000's and 2400's were the cells of choice, and if you had the Novak Cyclone you were the king.... I dont really remember why I started MRT and I dont even remember merging IRT and MRT together, but in hindsight we were all just riding on the shirt tails of BRT. First it was the Purple Palace of TechTalk, then RCTouring. I remember talking to Dan aka LowBlow on ICQ quite a bit, and he made me an administrator or at RcTech...Of course, being 12-13 years old at the time, I was king of the castle, or so I thought. His disappearence was odd, I even called and paged him but to no avail.

The last time I put an Rc car on the track was in 2004. I lost interest after my friends either moved away or quit racing, and then I was also very interested in full scale racing. I still have some odds and ends, old batteries, sped controls, etc. Unfortunately the brushless motors keep me from coming back - I greatly enjoyed tinkering with my motors.

I know Im jumping all over the place here but nostalgia does that to me...Despite the childish spats I loved the old days.

What the hell does The Penguin Theory mean anyhow???
Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 PM

MR, that was years ago man. Good to see you back. How are you doing? Where are you in school?

I don't have an idea on penguin theory either.

I'm not running brushless yet. I compete against a brushless guy all the time.

TamiyaManuk, no Irn Bru bars here yet. My wife did find a Scottish shop somewhere in the US and placed me an order for a 12 pack of bottles. Looking forward to that. She also ordered me HAGGIS AND RUTABAGAS as well. Not sure what to do with those.

Let you know when I get them.

C
Old 07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice to see you're still somewhere out there Mav.

Life update, I'm currently working in New York City at a large investment bank in the mergers & acquisitions group... will be traveling abroad in the Fall on the Semester at Sea program entering my junior year of college. Right now I'm actually at work so I can't really type out too much... but I really would love for any old IRT guys to shoot me an email and let me know you're still out there. I'll get back to you -- trust me, here on Wall Street, email is like second nature as everyone totes a BlackBerry around and zips off messages while on the run.

Rich this especially applies to you! Need to get in touch with you for sure.

I can be reached anytime at "psy" at stanford dot edu

Please get in touch, old and present IRT members!

Paul
Old 07-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Psy87, you know that I will be getting a hold of you. Good to hear that you are doing well. Hope that you are having a good time on the Right Coast.

C
Old 08-06-2007, 02:16 AM
rad
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default thailand....

hi folks... first time to post in this thread...

being an international team clubhouse, i was wondering if there's anybody from thailand???

unfortunately they don't have a presence on the international forum (there's hong kong racing, singapore r/c racers, malaysian r/c racers, australian racing, malta r/c racers, manila racers, indonesia racing... but nothing on thailand)

wondering if they could give me some info on hobby shops over there, as i have a trip sometime in september... or if anyone of you have been there and have any experiences (hopefully pleasant) with any shops there...

thanks for any replies

Last edited by rad; 08-06-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Here is the list of where the members are from. Hopefully that will help. If it is not listed, then they are from the US. I didn't see any from Thailand.

1 PSY87
13 Racer Rich
18 Cmotif
19 Wolfhunter
111 Taz_s
122 KO Racer
126 Kenix
129 Neo-Pro-3
130 TrackDesigner71
131 Exterminator
132 Yokomo Fan England
133 Losi Singapore
134 Rccarracer Australia
135 JDM_DOHC_SiR Japan
136 Sx3 Indonesia
137 Coxy
138 Spaz456 Australia
139 Colt Norway
140 SuPerDraGon Singapore
141 Evoracer
142 Dotjumper
143 racercar850
144 Fastburn Canada
145 jOnO Australia
146 Adrian Australia
147 Biff
148 Teamsherman Australia
149 Motorsports00
150 xxxssportracer
151 Oasis
152 Reaperdude
153 Bowtie1
154 VoneRkidd
155 trdsports Phillipines
156 TwiZTiD Australia
157 NMRCdude
158 ChrisO
159 Fatdoggy
160 Speedxl
161 Painy
162 Onefastlap
163 TheRaven Australia
164 Ralf France
165 Shane
166 Randy
167 Losi_runner
168 Carbon_fiber 3
169 Matt04 Australia
170 Calvin Ng
171 Sponger
172 Webspinner
173 Savage13579
174 TRF Racer UK
175 imgoinrcn
176 KoE Malaysia
177 Danjoy25
178 Shortyzz
179 wvracer
180 cyba888
181 bodigat Malaysia
182 xray racer
183 Dawn Sanchez
184 ROARprez
185 unknown
186 unknown
187 Rossco
188 Hicksey
189 TamiyaManUk UK
190 Integra Evan
191 Minijosh UK
192 Leester
193 Wicked Wayz
194 lil angel Australia
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 PM
rad
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the info...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So how is everyone been doing, sorry haven't had much time to post. Not much going on here besides working and racing once a week. Well everyone have a nice afternoon ttyl.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM

I melted my endbell on my Corally 12 turn motor. So I have now gone to a 19 turn. I have a question about adjustable timing. This is the first time that I have messed with timing. How much can you speed up the motor before you have the motor going too fast to have much torque or too fast that it damages the motor?

Cmotif <><
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

lol....how much timing did you crack the poor thang? speed, imho is a matter of gearing but limited to the capacity of the motor. Application ie on-road/off-road would differ as well. Ya looking for gearing range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.