Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Hong Kong Racing
HK Custom Officials/regulations are ridiculous! >

HK Custom Officials/regulations are ridiculous!

HK Custom Officials/regulations are ridiculous!

Old 03-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HK Custom Officials/regulations are ridiculous!

I just came back from hk and I had a very unpleasant experience with the hk customs. I was hand-carrying all my r/c stuff I bought as I felt they were too precious/fragile to be checked-in and thrown about. Among the things is a can of glue for repairing lexan bodies and they said I could not take it with me cause it is toxic!!! I mean come on, how can it be toxic when I am not going to use it on board the plane!!! I can appreciate the security concerns after the 9-11 incident but this is just ridiculous!!!! Or maybe they thought I will threaten to glue-shut the entire exit doors???

Just makes me so mad when I think about it!!!

Does anybody have similar experiences?
Old 03-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Regional Moderator

HK airport security becomes very tight after 911 incident. They would seize any hand carry hazardous liquid or item. You should have check in these stuff instead of hand carry them.

Even small hand tools would be considered as hazardous hand carry item nowadays.

Don't Singapore airport security/custom do the same thing?
Old 03-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by White cat
HK airport security becomes very tight after 911 incident. They would seize any hand carry hazardous liquid or item. You should have check in these stuff instead of hand carry them.

Even small hand tools would be considered as hazardous hand carry item nowadays.

Don't Singapore airport security/custom do the same thing?
Like I said, I appreciate the security concerns after the 911 incident and as I have not travelled since, I did not know that they wld even seize a can of glue used solely for rc purposes. If i had known, I would definitely check-in the stuff and if you read my post again, the reason i hand-carry all my r/c stuff is because they are fragile and precious to me.

As for the second paragraph, they did not seize my hudy exhaust spring remover even though I consider it more hazardous than my small can of glue. I think the reason they let me have that is because the tip is bent! Well at least they did not deviate from their line of logic.

I really don't know if S'pore airport security/custom do the same thing...maybe I will carry a small can of glue with me next time I travel and let you know.

The reason i am mad is because I really cannot in my life comprehend how a can of glue is going to make the flight more hazardous...maybe you can tell me
Old 03-07-2002, 03:04 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

If you check with any airline...the carrying of toxic material is forbidden in hand luggage! Problems can occur due to pressurisation in the aircraft, this can cause the fluid to leak out of the container! It may seem insignificant for Fender mender...but a rule is a rule...this has not changed since 911..its just that they are more stringent in enforcing the rule! You were just unlucky in that they found it!!
Old 03-07-2002, 03:17 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by rcmaniac

The reason i am mad is because I really cannot in my life comprehend how a can of glue is going to make the flight more hazardous...maybe you can tell me
Let me give you an example....I take a bottle of toxic fluid on board an aircraft....it leaks by itself. The air re-circulation system on board picks up the fumes and circulates it all around the aircraft...everyone on-board gets sick!! I can tell you this can and has happened before...ok Fender mender may not be strong enough to make everyone sick...but its toxic! so were do you draw the line??
Old 03-07-2002, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the security check ppl may not understand what is R/C and they just think it might be harmful to other ppl on board. so i think their action is acceptable, especially after 9-11.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how about if i bring a toy gun on board and tell the security check ppl that "come on, it is just a toy !". if u were these security check ppl, what will u do ?
Old 03-07-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by ernestf
how about if i bring a toy gun on board and tell the security check ppl that "come on, it is just a toy !". if u were these security check ppl, what will u do ?
I will understand if it's a toy gun as pple might not know the difference if a terrorist is toting one...pls use an appropriate analogy. The 911 incident is afterall terrorist linked and nothing else.

Finally, forget about this thread, I have already cooled down and do not wish to pursue the matter any longer.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Regional Moderator

OK. Please keep in mind that no liquid in hand carry luggage. Airport security is not like before. I used to bring contact lens solution to the plane, but I don't do this anymore.

A friend of mine had a "better" experience than you. The custom seized his hand lotion cream!
Old 03-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by ernestf
Toy gun is another story. it will be seized for sure if it is in hand carry luggage. If it is inside the check in luggage, the custom would call the police and ASU (SWAT team in airport) to check the toy gun before the luggage being transported to the plane. It wil go thru, but it is such a hassle.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Tech Regular

Chewing gum is ban in Singapore! Isn't it riticulous too?!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Coke (small children) and toy guns are also banned too.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by MIKA
Chewing gum is ban in Singapore! Isn't it riticulous too?!
Only the sale of chewing gum is ban in Singapore. Gum brought in from overseas for personal consumption are allowed, do get your facts right although I personally feel banning the sale of gum is ridiculous but no one raise a big hoo ha as consumption of gum in singapore is quite low.

White Cat: I do not get your meaning of Coke but toy guns can still be found abundantly in stores countrywide.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Regional Moderator

My friends from Singapore told me that they were not allowed to drink coke at school when they were young.

What? Airsoft gun (toy gun) is allowed in Singapore?
Old 03-12-2002, 11:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by White cat
My friends from Singapore told me that they were not allowed to drink coke at school when they were young.

What? Airsoft gun (toy gun) is allowed in Singapore?
Coke is definitely allowed as far as i know although soft drinks in general are discouraged as they cause obesity among young children. I am sure all parents anywhere will also discourage their kids from drinking too much soft drinks.

I thought toy gun is toy gun per se...in my opinion airsoft gun is not a toy as they can cause harm if used irresponsibly...it is definitely an offense to possess airsoft guns in S'pore as they also look too much like the real thing although I personally like them a lot! There is also an archery/gun range in a major shopping centre here where enthusiasts can shoot till their hearts' content.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.