Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Hawaii RC
Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish? >

Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?

Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?

I see pictures of Outback Raceway in California (http://www.outbackraceway.com/) and wonder how well a track like that would do here.

I think a lot more people would use a track that is covered (no sun/rain) and open later in the evenings. Format could be on-road or off-road. I'm not sure a facility could support both given the cost of running it.

If the track were located between Pearl City and Kahala, I would certainly make time to go Friday nights, and one morning/afternoon/evening for 4 hours on the weekend. I'm not sure if I would have time for racing.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think that having a indoor track in hawaii would be extremely hard for the business to succeed on just that alone. The land costs for hawaii is so much higher than that of the mainland and in addition the labor cost are higher too. A larger user base also would help on the mainland and would hurt an in door track here.

If there was a person who owned a large property that would allow the use of the facility without the intention of making market value. The business would also have to branch out and do other things as well such as maybe a pizza palor or fast food stand that would be open to the outside public who could then watch the racing or practice going on inside in addition to a mail order side business.

Would be nice to have, but very hard to do.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
I think that having a indoor track in hawaii would be extremely hard for the business to succeed on just that alone. The land costs for hawaii is so much higher than that of the mainland and in addition the labor cost are higher too. A larger user base also would help on the mainland and would hurt an in door track here.

If there was a person who owned a large property that would allow the use of the facility without the intention of making market value. The business would also have to branch out and do other things as well such as maybe a pizza palor or fast food stand that would be open to the outside public who could then watch the racing or practice going on inside in addition to a mail order side business.

Would be nice to have, but very hard to do.
All good points.

Obtaining a property below market value is a great idea - or the person could try the ABCRI route and seek funding through donations. I still am in awe that they got the city to donate the land in Kunia. Read the full article here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln44a.html
Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

On-road !!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've been to a number of indoor clay tracks in the mainland and they're great. Actually ran at a few and talked to the owners. With the $/sf so high in Hawaii they said it would be hard to break even. Someone would need to donate space in an empty warehouse. One in Northern CA is located outside but has a huge roof that covers the track and part of the pit area. But 100% indoor off-road clay is the way to go and would be great here. Anyone got an extra warehouse to donate?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ap70 View Post
I've been to a number of indoor clay tracks in the mainland and they're great. Actually ran at a few and talked to the owners. With the $/sf so high in Hawaii they said it would be hard to break even. Someone would need to donate space in an empty warehouse. One in Northern CA is located outside but has a huge roof that covers the track and part of the pit area. But 100% indoor off-road clay is the way to go and would be great here. Anyone got an extra warehouse to donate?
Yup, that's the question alright - Who has an empty warehouse with no prospects of getting it leased anytime soon?

gotspeed_2000 got me thinking....

The guy who built the Ice Palace / stadium mall had the right idea. No matter how the Ice Palace does, those other tenants are the ones who really paid (pay) for everything. How sweet is that?

But the Ice Palace was built forever and a day ago, and unless a developer has a passion for R/C, there is no way someone is going to tack on something to new construction that isn't going to support itself, just so that the community can have a indoor / covered track.

I think a 10,000 sf warehouse is around, what, $6k a month?

If someone went the "educational" route to get donations, they could always tack on a renewable energy learning center (i.e. electric cars ), run all the power off of solar, get some car manufacturer to donate an electric car and then charge school kids $x.xx dollars to go through the place on field trips. Teach them about how electric cars run, show them how the facility runs on solar, etc. etc., let them play with some 1/18 scale cars. ... And perhaps we could have a R/C track on the side.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the hard reality is that, it won't be easy. You would need a state-backed land that can be lent to us as a community project. Gather some local sponsors, and run a non-profit organization. Communities won't last long if you ignore the voices of its users. So one should gather as much information on what the users might need/want before diving into the project. With the Internet now, people have access to way more information, so it is imperative to keep up with trends.

I've seen places come and go. Remember the indoor carpet one a loooong time ago? Heck, I was in grade school. Drove the RC10 there, and I remember the carpet was all hash from the jumping

Last edited by inpuressa; 02-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

I remember before they started running off-road in there. The track was designed poorly and ended up way too small to run anything 1/10th on...even 1/12th was crowded on the infield.

I know there is a school or 2 that have been closed over the years and I was thinking it would be cool if we could get use of one of the gyms or the cafeterias from the state.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I remember before they started running off-road in there. The track was designed poorly and ended up way too small to run anything 1/10th on...even 1/12th was crowded on the infield.

I know there is a school or 2 that have been closed over the years and I was thinking it would be cool if we could get use of one of the gyms or the cafeterias from the state.
yeah, I remember that track. Was it called high performance hobbies? The track was designed poorly and quickly lost support. Then tried to accommodate off road by adding jumps, but still wasn't challenging enough so people left. It was pretty hacked up near the end.

Anyone know someone from the local government
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
Anyone know someone from the local government
Ha ha. As you guys know, especially in Hawaii, it's all about who you know.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
That is an awesome idea!

We have insurance, so that shouldn't be a problem, and we can certainly clean up after ourselves. All we would need is permission and keys.

I know, I know - easier said than done.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think in Europe they're into indoor off-road and they use gyms a lot. It doesn't seem as fun as an indoor clay off-road or indoor on-road carpet. And the tracks run races at least three times a week and they get anywhere from 30 to 50 racers. I've been to one where they start racing at 6:00 and finish before midnight on a Thur. night. They are diehards.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ap70 View Post
I think in Europe they're into indoor off-road and they use gyms a lot. It doesn't seem as fun as an indoor clay off-road or indoor on-road carpet. And the tracks run races at least three times a week and they get anywhere from 30 to 50 racers. I've been to one where they start racing at 6:00 and finish before midnight on a Thur. night. They are diehards.
The Europeans are WAY more into R/C than we are. Some of their R/C clubs build their own tracks.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

So early this morning, while I'm waiting for one of my YouTube videos to render, I turn on the TV (which I don't do too often these days) and what do I see an ad for? Kapolei Inline Hockey Arena. I didn't even realize this place exisited. It's huge!!

And why and how did it get built? Read the story here.
Attached Thumbnails Would an indoor 1/10th scale sized track flourish or perish?-kiha.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Too bad we couldn't replace the term "Inline Hockey" with "Indoor RC"
But if you look at the guy responsible for this, he is a dedicated fan of the sport, and he OWNED the land at which the facility sits on.
I like some of the quotes from that article like:

"To get to a facility like his, it'll be worth it," Moylan said. "It'll boost enthusiasm tenfold for inline hockey, and it'll boost our league members."

"It's like that movie, 'Field of Dreams,' " she said. "If you build the facility, the sport will grow."

I also liked how he had the vision to create a facility that rivals that of mainland ones.

That entire article could be replaced with RC terminologies, and it will sound perfectly normal lol.

But hey, I can dream on right?

don't forget these guys too:
http://www.nonstophonolulu.com/blogs...o-kart-racing/

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service